Nikon D40 Review
The D40 is supplied with two CD's containing:
- Nikon PictureProject 1.7 - image transfer, browsing, organization and basic editing. Provides a fairly good range of image management features, can convert RAW to JPEG but lacks RAW specific adjustments such as white balance or digital exposure compensation.
- Nikon FotoShare - Nikon's own online sharing facility for producing web albums and sharing by e-mail.
- Nikon Capture NX (trial) - Nikon's new fully-fledged image management, workflow, editing and RAW conversion application.
RAW conversion - preliminary
Normally in our digital SLR reviews we like to compare the supplied RAW conversion software with in-camera JPEG and any third party converters. Unfortunately at this early stage there is no third party support for the Nikon D40. As soon as we receive versions of Adobe Camera RAW etc. which support the D40 we will update this page.
- JPEG - Large/Fine, Default settings
- PP - Nikon PictureProject 1.7
- NX - Nikon Capture NX 1.0.1
Place your mouse over the label below the image to see the color from a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart produced using each RAW converter. As you can see there is absolutely no visible difference between JPEG from the camera and a RAW converted by PictureProject or Capture NX, both clearly using the same basic RAW processing engine. Obviously Nikon has worked hard to ensure that the color and tone reproduction of a converted RAW is the same as you would natively get from the camera, remember that the D40's default color mode is IIIa.
|Nikon D40||Compare to:|
|Portrait||B&W||Custom Mode Ia||Custom Mode II|
|Custom Mode IIIa|
Sharpness and Detail
The differences between JPEG and PictureProject/Capture NX are subtle and are probably down to slight variances in the demosaicing / sharpening algorithms used. You can make out slightly more texture on the watch face and visibly crisper edges around items of contrast.
Using our resolution chart shots you can see the subtle difference between in-camera JPEG and converted RAW, it's mostly after 'absolute resolution' but the converted RAW does maintain more detail from around 1800 LPH onwards. There was no discernable difference between Picture Project and Nikon Capture NX (which hints that they use the same actual engine).
|JPEG from camera||Nikon PictureProject (RAW)|
|Nikon Capture NX (RAW)|
|Bianca Buitendag-7809 by vbuhay|
|Sunrise in Paradise by OB Foto|
from Booby Prize
|The Battle for the Lead by Photo Pete|
from Bicycle sports
|Cecelia's Eyes by Madeleine Hart|
from - Jenny from the Block - (Colors that pop + A white Border)