Nikon Coolpix 775 Review
Compared to the Nikon Coolpix 950
Many people have commented that the 775 reminds them of a cut-down Coolpix 950, certainly there are plenty of similarities. Both are Nikon, 2 megapixel, 3x optical zoom, Matrix metering. Bear in mind that the Coolpix 950 was discontinued some time ago.
Some crops below are of an 120 x 80 area of the image magnified 200%, some are straight 240 x 160 crops. Lighting - 2 x 800W studio lights with dichroic daylight filters bounced off a white overhead reflector (about as close as you can get to "indoor daylight").
- Nikon Coolpix 775 - Self Timer, Flash Off, Sharpening: Normal, Auto WB
- Nikon Coolpix 950 - Self Timer, Flash Off, ISO 100, Auto WB
|Nikon Coolpix 775
F3.9, 1/6 sec
|Nikon Coolpix 950
F3.3, 1/14 sec
As you can see the 775 is a fairly close match for it's old uncle 950, both exposure and tonal balance are almost identical. The only noticeable differences are:
- The 775's vertical resolution appears 'stepped' compared to the 950
- The 775's lens isn't quite a sharp as the 950 (though is slightly better near the corners)
- Colour balance: the 775's reds are stronger and more accurate, though its blues are more washed out (and hue shifted towards turquoise)