The M8 provides a typical range of image parameter adjustment with five levels for sharpening, color saturation and contrast as well as a black and white mode. In addition you can also choose from one of three color space options, the normal sRGB and Adobe RGB as well as the seldom seen ECI (European Color Initiative) RGB.
Image parameter adjustments
- Sharpening: Off, Low, Standard, Medium high, High
- Color saturation: Low, Medium low, Standard, Medium high, High, Black + White
- Contrast: Low, Medium low, Standard, Medium high, High
- Color space: sRGB, Adobe RGB, ECI RGB
When shooting our image parameter studio scene we normally use the crayons to define the top and bottom of the frame, unfortunately our 50 mm Leica lens has a minimum focus distance of 70 cm which produced a much smaller rendition than normal (and we didn't have access to the M series macro lens). For the purposes of comparison this doesn't cause any particular issues but bear in mind that detail will look smaller in crops compared to other reviews.
The M8 provides five different sharpening levels from 'Off' to to High. As you can see the default 'Standard' sharpening is just that, sufficiently sharp to deliver as much detail as you get at higher settings. One thing we can see here are pretty ugly jagged artifacts on angled edge detail which only becomes more visible as you turn up sharpening.
Color saturation adjustment
Saturation adjustment allows you to control the strength of color in the final image. The M8 provides a reasonable range of adjustment for color saturation. I found myself using the Black and White mode a fair amount as it suits the 'look' of the M8's images, I was a little disappointed that Leica didn't offer any B+W filter options as found on other digital cameras.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!