Canon EOS 5D Mark II In-depth Review
The EOS-5D Mark II is provided with the 'Canon EOS Solutions Disk 16' which includes:
- Canon ZoomBrowser EX 6.2.1 - Easy-to-use image browsing and organization application with a unique interface. Includes rudimentary image editing, printing and e-mail functions.
- Canon ZoomBrowser EX Memory Card Utility - A separate utility from ZoomBrowser that helps users quickly download images from a memory card, and includes a quick print functionality.
- Image Browser 6.2 - Mac OS X only.*
- Canon EOS Utility 2.5.1 - Automatic or Manual transfer of images via WIA, also allows for the adjustment of camera settings and remote 'tethered' shooting.*
- Canon WFT Utility 3.3 - Compatible with all existing Canon wireless shooting add-ons, allows users to wirelessly transmit images taken from camera to target computer.
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II PTP/WIA driver - Windows only.
- Original Data Security Tools - For cameras that are compatible with this software, it allows users to verify that an images has not been manipulated between when it was shot in camera, to when they are viewing it.
- Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 - Panorama stitching utility.
- Canon Digital Photo Professional 188.8.131.52 - Advanced image workflow and editing, specialized in RAW conversion with a range of adjustment and output options.*
- Picture Style Editor 1.4.1- Create custom Picture Styles.*
* Universal Binaries (Intel / PowerPC) for Mac OS X.
As is normal in our digital SLR reviews we like to compare the supplied RAW conversion software, any optional manufacturer RAW conversion software and some third party RAW converter. In the case of the EOS 5D Mark II we used the supplied Digital Photo Professional as well as Adobe Camera RAW 5.2 and Capture One 4.6.
- JPEG - Large/Fine, Default settings
- DPP - Digital Photo Professional 184.108.40.206
- ACR - Adobe Camera RAW 5.2
- CAP 1 - Capture One 4.6.1
Place your mouse over the label below the image to see the color from a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart produced using each RAW converter. As we would expect there is no difference between JPEG from the camera and Digital Photo Professional. Adobe Camera RAW's default settings take a slightly more conservative approach to color response and has a less contrasty tone curve.
|Canon EOS 5D MK2||Compare to:|
Sharpness and Detail
Whilst all three raw converters produced sharp, clean and detailed output there are slight differences in the amount of sharpening applied by default (with Capture One and DPP the sharpest). The resolution of the in camera JPEG is pretty good already, but there is a noticeable increase in resolution and detail when shooting RAW.
These crops demonstrate that noticeably more resolution is available from Digital Photo Professional and Capture One (and to a lesser extent Adobe Camera RAW) conversions of RAW files than can be obtained from JPEG, and that the 5D Mark II is capable of capturing an astounding amount of detail given the right processing. At the highest frequencies the raw files do show some false detail; this can be seen most clearly in the moiré patterns produced in the RAW conversions.
|JPEG from camera||Digital Photo Professional (RAW)|
|Adobe Camera RAW 5.2 (RAW)||Capture One 4.6.1 (RAW)|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Specifications
- 3 What's New
- 4 What's New
- 5 Body & Design
- 6 Body & Design
- 7 Body & Design
- 8 Operation & Controls
- 9 Operation & Controls
- 10 Displays
- 11 Displays
- 12 Menus
- 13 Menus
- 14 Performance
- 15 Features
- 16 Features
- 17 Features
- 18 Features
- 19 Video
- 20 Software & Raw
- 21 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 22 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 23 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 24 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 25 Photographic tests (DR)
- 26 Vignetting/Shading
- 27 Photographic tests
- 28 Compared to
- 29 Compared to (JPEG)
- 30 Compared to (JPEG)
- 31 Compared to (JPEG)
- 32 Compared to (JPEG)
- 33 Compared to (RAW)
- 34 Compared to (RAW)
- 35 Compared to (RAW)
- 36 Compared to (RAW)
- 37 Compared to (sRAW1)
- 38 Compared to (High ISO)
- 39 Compared to (Resolution)
- 40 Conclusion
- 41 Samples
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!