Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 User Reviews

Announced Apr 22, 2015 •
Prime lens | Sony FE
dod713

This Lens could have been perfect but with 80cm close focusing distance kills it.

dousanmiaography

Pros: I owned quite a few 85mm in the past.  They are quite bulky and slow to focus. Often, fast primes are understandably soft when shot wide open. But this Batis 85mm is one of the sharpest prime lens I've used, even at f/1.8! Cons: I dont really find the screen on the lens that useful. The lack of a scale and resistance to the focus ring makes it tricky to manual focus. There is no AF/MF switch on the lens body. The lens looks a little funny without the hood on.

This is my first Zeiss lens. I bought it used off ebay.de I spent the entire weekend to take pictures with this lens on my Sony A5100. The sharpness of the images is stunning. The lens is hefty and has excellent build quality. Its AF either AF-S and AF-C was accurate and fast. MF is surprisingly easy, despite the focus-by-wire ring. Video AF-C worked fine too, and totally silent. Image stabilization worked just fine. Here are a couple of samples: I fully understand now why a number of people ...

FullFocus

I recently bought this lens for my A7RII and I am extremely happy with it. Very simply the optical performances are superb, mechanical quality and finishing is excellent, and size (very important for me, as I like to travel with as few Kg as possible...) is acceptable (no modern lens is as small as old Leica lenses, but they have much more inside). I can only warmly recommend this Batis 85 mm for all Sony lovers!