Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM User Reviews

Wideangle zoom lens | Canon EF, Pentax KAF, Sony/Minolta Alpha, Sigma SA Bayonet, Nikon F (FX)

I’ve had this lens for a while now, and I can certainly say it met and exceeded my expectations for the price. Ultra-wide angle zoom lenses for full-frame cameras are not inexpensive by any means. Sigma’s new ultra-wide 12-24mm F/4 DG ART lens is quite a bargain at $1,600 compared to Canon’s eye-watering $2,700 11-24mm F/4L USM. Those prices tend to make budget-minded shoppers like myself look toward ultra-wide primes from the likes of Samyang, Irix, and so forth. I enjoy the challenge of ...

A 12mm lens with no linear distortion to speak of, sharp enough in the corners if stopped down to f8.0+, focuses very fast. Excellent build quality, surprisingly good weather elements resistance (dust, moisture, light rain, cold etc), despite not officially being a weather sealed lens. I can only contribute this to the very tight build quality, after 7+ years of use the lens still looks and feels like new.  I'd give it a 4/5 on image quality, and a 5/5 in build quality.

CanonShooter1958

I have read that this lens is quite soft under F/8. I had it out for the first time this afternoon and have to say that first impressions are that it's a brilliant lens for landscapes and very good for quirky shots of people and objects even wide open, I didn't notice any soft corners but there again, I don't go for pixel peeping. If the main subject is sharp then I'm happy. Superwide on FF.

Works great on 5DII.  My 17-40, an OK lens, has significant linear distortion at the wide range. The Sigma is one or two steps up in this regard even at the 12 mm range. Wide corners at the 17mm are sharper in the Sigma (based on testing 4 Sigma copies) compared to my 17-40. The Sigma has nice construction, fast AF, takes fairly sharp images (vis a vis the 17-40) at 12mm up to 24mm. Unlike some of my other wide lenses, this lens seems to take more light, thus I find underexposing by two stops ...

used on my A900. Great viewing angle but lacking sharpness in the corners. Solid build. Didn't realize the sunshade at the beginnning and wondered about the vignetting :). very versatile, great colors.