Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM User Reviews

Announced Feb 21, 2007 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Pentax KAF2 | 21660

I'll make it short and sharp. Optically , this is a revered lens in my lens lineup. nothing short of stunning. tack sharp. Electronically , this is a dumpster fire, in a mine field , in hell. Bought it factory fresh, spanking brand new as part of my architectural firms photo gear, and after 6 months , focusing  motor died. No issues at that point, under warranty from factory. So I got it replaced no problems. Only problem is that my 2 year warranty was now 6 months. And guess what happened ...

jrferrermn

This lens is very sharp even wide open and its only weakness is the autofocusing ability in low light. As a landscape or scenic lens for outdoor photography, it does very well. It is a great value.

Only issue I have with this lens is the slow autofocus ...and had to have the SDM replaced once. Image quality is good.

John Matthius III

Replaced it with an FA*80-200mm F2.8 - else I'd still have it.  Color rendition was pretty special, and yarhole sharp.

hikenhi

I bought this lens for $600; used but in near mint conditions, with the glass in pristine shape and very few blemishes, most of them on the easily replaceable lens ca. It was a steal of a deal for a lens that I rarely see new for less than $1,200 these days, especially since Pentax recently switched over their pricing to a unilateral system that eliminates huge gaps in price between MSRP and big vendors like Amazon who buy these things by the boat load. I also own the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm ...

kentwosheds

Having had this lens for 2 years, I am certainly satisfied with its optical performance. It is an ideal lens in the studio, I use it on a K5. I feel its only drawbacks are its cost and its heavy weight. In the field I tend to take my Lumix G1 kit, although I prefer the results from my Pentax. For portraits in natural light wide open it gives lovely results.

Here Is my Review from my website. BUILD QUALITY/ HANDLING: The 50-135 has a real strength in terms of build quality. The very broad and precise focus and zoom rings are well dampened and rotate smoothly. The lens weighs 690g, so it's well balanced on the heavier K-7, K10D, K20D, and K200D. This lens is professional grade so build quality like this is expected. The weather sealing held up very well in the rainy weather (lens still works fine a week later). The lens hood is unusually large for ...