Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1

Announced Sep 2, 2009 •
12 megapixels | 3 screen | Four Thirds sensor
Boss of Sony

I bought this camera a week ago with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens for AU $90 (US $68). I was planning to the sell the camera body, but I noticed that this camera feels very nice in the hand. In fact, it's one of the nicest cameras I've ever held. It feels solid, with a metal construction. The grip is just right. It's also the perfect weight. Not too light that it feels like a toy, and not too heavy to be a nuisance to carry. With a light lens on it, this camera is nicer to hold than the Fuji ...

Cykor

It was a great camera in 2009 !! Had a lot of funn with it . Decided to keep it with my classic Helios 44m lens.

Still testing. Bought it used, but in mint condition.  But, it came without the 20mm I wanted. Nice images, but hard to find perfect settings for jpeg's.

Good image quality, lots of physical controls, solid construction, small and reasonably light. My only serious gripe is poor image quality with high ISO – at ISO 400 the noise is clearly visible, at ISO 800 it usually ruins the picture, even if converted to BW, where the noise is generally more acceptable.

Aleo Veuliah

I have a G2 also, but the GF1 have special touch, because of the format and design It is a great camera to do street photography, but also good on other kinds, like landscapes and portrait I must say it is the camera that gives me more pleasure to use Image quality is like the G2 or G1, and I find it very good for this sensor size AF is also good, metering and built quality to me is superb to this camera price This is a camera that you can really love, now there is the GX1 a great sucessor to ...

Aaron MC

There is little that I can add that hasn't already been said. The camera is nearly perfect. If it had been blessed with a larger buffer and a sensor that wasn't noisy as hell, it would have been a legendary product, destined for the halls of greatness. Those two problems, though, are mostly countered by excellent ergonomics and a design that knows exactly what an enthusiast wants. If you know cameras, this is a camera for you.

anecolove

At that time it was a hard job to choose between the GF1 and EP1. What made me buy the GF1 is actually the kit lens, the 201.7. However, after using it I found it to be a very good camera which was much snappier than the EP1 (which I also owned for some time). The image quality is good, but better in RAW. Also, the screen is better and visible in bright light. Something more subjective is that I find it more handsome than EP1 paired with the 20 1.7 which has a modern look. Problems: JPEG not ...

An error has occured.</P> <P><font size="2">There is no need to contact us about this error as it has been logged.<br> <BR>Regards, webmaster [at] dpreview.com</font></P>

amirh12

So, excellent camera to transition from point and shoot to SLR quality world. Most people cling to the major convenience factor which is size and weight (with the 20mm lens it fits inside a compact camera's pouch), but ease of use is also better than SLR's I've had experienced. Image quality is definitely on par (if not better than) entry level DSLRs, but it's a moot point: you can use this camera where you can't use a DSLR. We went on a trip to Hawaii with friends, they brought their T1i but ...

A fantastic camera, perfectly suited for street photography and many other genres with a very good image quality ( my main camera is the Nikon D3, just to know what my references are... ) , very small dimension ,and with that "fun factor" when're shooting with it I'd love it even more if the shutter would be less noisy Then I'd call it the rational Leica (the original one is quite irrational as it lacks the main advantages that made the M3 a great camera) of this century