Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Announced Jul 21, 2008 •
10 megapixels | 3 screen | 24 – 60 mm (2.5×)

LX1, as the first camera I own, is the camera that introduced me to photography, but LX3 is the camera that made me a Panasonic fan! I don't know how many photos I took with this tiny camera, but it is for sure the one that I most enjoyed shooting with. It has a metal body giving it a great elegant look that is still in style 10 years later, especially in black. This camera is very sleek, but it packs a ton, a lot more than you expect from a camera of this size. Just looking at the back of ...

I've bought and reviewed several old cameras on DP from the perspective of an enthusiastic beginner. It's only been a year ago that I learned how to spell aperture, much less know how important aperture is to photography. I'm glad I didn't buy an LX3 about a year ago. If i had, then I might have missed out on the Olympus MFT cameras I'm so buggy about. The LX3 is that good. This camera cost $500 in 2008 and was worth every penny, then. I paid $79 for my copy last week, and it's the best ...

Unbelievable results from such a small sensor. I have a Nikon D50 and D40X. I tried many point and shoot cameras for convenience and portability. This one is the best so far. I have a two year old daughter and now I can spend quality time with her while carrying a camera that takes good pictures. Two Thumbs up. Problems: Its video quality is not the best. My Canon SD960IS makes way better videos.

mr_landscape

-best ultra-compact camera with relatively big sensor 1/1.6 -good build -fast f2.0 lens -very intuitive controls Problems: no downsides concerning size of camera. Canon and Nikon ultra-compacts can`t compete with this baby.

A very robust and stylish camera. Perfect for those who value form as much as they value function. I call it my "range finder mini". The 24mm f2 lens is simply a delight to use and gives me exactly the results I need and want in my landscape, street photography and social snaps. Crisp and distortion free images. BTW, take note that if you're into wildlife photography then the LX3 may not be the best choice for you. I also like the vast array of personalization options and yet I'm amazed at ...

ulfie

My first digital camera after decades of Nikon 35mm SLR use. For non-pro, walk-around use the LX3 delivers the goods and then some. Problems: Reflective LCD screen resolved by adding a Clarivue anti-glare screen protector.

Never will use big cameras anymore, as we tend to forget them. This one is the best compromise so far, size and image quality. I nearly bought G10 or G11 as a Canon fan, but changed my mind when I saw the pictures made. Really good, this camera, since you have great pictures, 24 mm, and can be put into shirt pocket. Some problem ? Flash is weak (hardly used) No movable backscreen. For those who need zoom, of course not recommended, but in daily life, who needs ? Regarding the lens protection, ...

used leica film cameras for many years m2r, m4 etc. - best small camera since. Problems: no problems - great software updates

Mike C

Outstanding results for a 10MP P&S camera. The modified sensor does a great job gathering light. I feel comfortable using the camera from it's lowest ISO to ISO 400. As (almost) everyone else has said: "Unless you are a pixel-peeper, you won't miss your SLR at up to 11 X 14 enlargements". Problems: The only shortcoming is the zoom. But, we all knew that. That's why I have a GH1 with the 28--400 35mm equivalent zoom.

majvdl

I used this camera under difficult circumstances in Afghanistan and loved it every minute. Especially the 24 mm lens, the different ratios and the HD-video option were great. So was the image quality. Problems: I really hate the software Panasonic delivers with the camera. ZoomBrowser is so much better than PhotofunStudio. I also have problems with the additional optic view finder. It's too simple and scratches your spectacles.