Olympus E-420 (EVOLT E-420)

Announced Mar 5, 2008 •
10 megapixels | 2.7 screen | Four Thirds sensor
joanindo

i bought this camera three weeks ago. the pictures' quality were great. when i was looking for an entry-level dslr, this camera was the cheapest and the smallest dslr with only US$328 with lens kit 14-42mm. Problems: no image stabilizer (IS). difficult to get clear picture under low light environment. if you wanna spend another $100, you can get the IS in E-520, but a bit heavier and bigger.

glasshoper

very nice very compact dslr for the money! intuitive menus and easy customization. I pretty much carry it in my backpack all the time Problems: I did not care much about the live view... would have preferred senor stabilization. The viewfinder is kind of small but not unreasonable. The AF is primitive with only 3 spots that cannot be selected during shooting - needs you to dive through the menu... the 25mm 2.8 is nice and small but with significant border softness; the focus through wire is ...

hooj

why did i wait so long to get this little gem!? price dropped $200 at henry's in toronto for the komachi kit with pancake 25mm at $599.99 - resistance was futile. great image quality up to iso 800, i'm not much of a low light picture taker so it's not a concern of mine, nor is the lack of IS in the camera, same goes for live view (nice to have i suppose). i can get sharp hand held shots at 1/20th of a second. i got it for the size, weight and design and in turn get great image quality and ...

norwesteruser

I've waded through a plethora of dslrs to finally find this one. It's not perfect, but it's exactly what I've always wanted a digital slr camera to be. Meters with any manual focus lens that I've put on it. Image quality surpasses every dslr that I've tried, save for the Sigma SD-9 at iso100 with Zeiss lenses.

I bought e420 one month ago and I'm very happy with it. Adding an 40-150 budget zoom makes me happy more ;) Light, compact, feature full. Good enough for hobbyis like me. Good battery life, even when using built-in flash. Very useful ultrasonic dust removal (but it slows down the startup time and can't be switched off). In conjunction with AdobeLightroom 2.0 produces very impressive results. IQ is valuable for a money I've spent. Compared to my existing Canon G7 is much more better and good ...

danxpopescu

Love it ! Got the pancake lens and use it mostly for portraits, with excellent results. I'm still finding my way through the settings. Owned the 410 a few months ago, but this one produced better pics in term of dynamic range and sharpness. Great results in good light. Problems: None yet. Hate the opinions display that's messed up lately on dpreview!!!

Giuseppe Di Rosa

This olympus is very small reflex for trip and is very easy to use.Image quality in portrait is very good(Skin tones and soft lines).The building quality is ok,and price is amazing in value for money.Excuse for my english. Problems: Battery life is short.I advise the second battery.And for maximun speed use Sandisk extreme IV or similar Compact Flash.

clovermead

My first Oly, this lovely little 420 and 25mm pancake lens. Truly a go anywhere type of camera. Feels like nothing in the hand and yet very comfortable to grip, and hence shoot with. If you need a lightweight camera that gives very high IQ results, give this little gem a serious look. Problems: Nope.

mfahrur

A great little cam that is not obstrusive as my E-3 while I am attending social functions. With the Live View, Hybrid AF and Face Detection, I am very happy that my wife and friends are able to capture great quality pictures of me during the functions. That's the bottom line. Problems: None.

finalpatch

this little camera is just awesome! i got the twin lens kit, at AUD9XX it's like a steal! the 2 kit lenses are both spectacular, and the 25mm pancake makes it a truly pocketable dslr. Problems: small dim view finder a bit limited highlight dynamic range no in-body image stablization