Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ User Reviews

Announced Dec 14, 2011 •
Zoom lens | Micro Four Thirds | V314040BU000
erichK

The optics are not up to Olympus' best, but certainly quite usable, and a very useful zoom range weatherproofing, a useful macro function, and an electronic zoom for video make this a very useful little lens.

RobMachiel

After reading all the negative reviews, I was surprised when using the Olympus 12 - 50 mm on my OM-D. It is really a nice walk-around lens. Sure, the Olympus, Panasonic and even the Sigma primes are sharper, faster and smaller but on the OM-D the 12 - 50 mm is an underrated lens. I like the Macro-mode, the fact that it is weather sealed and first of all the 24 - 100 zoom makes it very versatile.

CyeJoeBob

This lens is a "must-have" for the OM-D, because of the weather sealing. It could be a bit smaller, but its very flexible. The image quality isn't perfect, but for the price its quiet good. I really like this lens.

renni

I was very sceptic about this lens. Perfomance is not best possible. But it is great value for the price (I paid ~ $250). Love the size and usability on my GX1. Nobody has mentioned the macro mode, that was a great surprice for me. Push the macro button and you get a 45mm macro lens.

This is a kit lens that is bundled with the OM-D E-M5. As part of the kit is it costs $100 more than the body alone, but if purchased separately it retails for about $500 (as at Oct 2012). I think it's great value at the kit price but too expensive for the stand alone price. The appeal of this lens is that it brings the familiar functions of a compact camera zoom to M43. It's a 4x zoom, it's powered, and there's a macro setting. So if you're upgrading from a compact to an OM-D kit, you can ...

GabrieleArcangelo

Yes, it isn't the best lens in the world, but it is very satisfactory for me on my E-P2 camera (12 MP). It's sharp enough, no vignetting, no disotorsion, beautiful color, good contrast, no flare and, most important, the photo is good from edge to edge. I have also a Leica 24 mm f2,8 asph (48 mm on E-P2) and, believe me, you can see differences only in very large prints. If you can accept dimensions and weight (this is not a small lens), this is a fine lens indeed. And, if you like old ...

Alan Ernst

I anxiously awaited the Olympus 12-50 in the hope of finally having a quality all-round lens for my GH1/2 and GX1. On paper, the specs looked very promising (with exception of the slow aperture at the long end, which I could live with, as I use the tripod a lot). I finally managed to get the lens two weeks ago and test it extensively in the field. The results are a mixed bag: stellar performance in some areas, marred by some serious deficiencies... Clearly not what I had hoped for, based on ...