Nikon D40X User Reviews

Announced Mar 6, 2007 •
10 megapixels | 2.5 screen | APS-C sensor
Tall Bob

Having had a couple Digital cameras - I can honestly say this does all and more than I had expected. In 2 months, I've taken over 2000 pictures and with the exception of operator error, I have been pleased with all. Problems: The explanation of "My Menu" isn't all that great but once you figure it out, works super.

Jacksonkk

- Great camera for beginners or even advanced users. - Easy to use and good Auto WB. - Low noise level (ISO 400 or below; accepatable at ISO 800). - Good value for money (would be better if the price lower a bit more). - Retouch Menu provides useful editing functions. Problems: - No hard button for ISO or WB (but acceptable for begineers). - Can't agree with pirinchov's unrealistic and inresponsible rating with no comment on it!

mario7

Great camera for either beginner or more advanced shooters. Obviously more suited to folks with no other Nikon glass where AF would be an issue. 3 spot AF does not concern me. IQ is excellent and kit lens is one of the best Problems: None. Would have preferred hard buttons for ISO, WB , etc. but can quickly change settings now.

bugsy168

Just to balance for (pirinchov's ) earlier idiotic rating. Im in the Hassy forum and shoot with D200 & D2h also wth several good glass. Pls even up the score then as said the real ratings will begin.

Squash63

This is my first digital SLR and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've only had it for 4 days and have already taken some nice photos. It is very easy to use even for a beginner like me. Problems: I would have liked the lens cap to be attached to the body in some way because I am worried I will lose it. But this is only a tiny problem and I'm sure I will learn to cope with it!

abelnightroad

Excellent detail captured by the sensor. High ISO performance very impressive and certainly fits the bill for target audience. 3 fps bump is nice vs. the D40. Small but extremely well put together. Feels nice in the hand and is very fun to shoot with. Travels well too. Problems: No.

Ollie

Pirinchov gave rating of 1 across the board. I wrote in to dpreview to request removing that rating based on the way it was rated with no text. Nothing was done. I am simply doing this to tip the scale. I hope that at least 8 other people will do the same to bring this back to normal. Then stop this and let the true ratings take over. Actually, I've tried this camera and it is probably going to be close to or at 5 for each category anyway. It takes better photos than even the D80. The noise ...

Luiz_Salgado

In the D40, I only missed the features of the D80. Camera is a pleasure to use. Skin tones not as good as those from the D80, nevertheless fairly good. Opinions relate to the D40 model, since I couldn' t find the proper place for the D40 here.---lams Problems: None, except desagreement w/ Pirirnchov opinion and a rating of 1.0, posted w/o any comment (and as it has been pointed out, the D40x itself is not even in the shops!)

thomas2279

Problems: pirinchov giving this good camera rating of 1.00 when this camera is not even out in the shops....

bellymungo

The good just got better, not that the D40 was lacking in anything really, be good as a backup, keep a wide zoom on one and a tele zoom on the other help reduce the dust problems. Problems: Dust maybe a problem as with the D40