Nikon D40X User Reviews

Announced Mar 6, 2007 •
10 megapixels | 2.5 screen | APS-C sensor
Kraig Barnes

I boutght this for my wife Excellent little DLR my D200 was to heavy for her. Problems: AF-S Not AF

Johnmel

I have had my D40X for a few weeks now and I find it a joy to use. Small & light with a very user friendly interface and so far I have had some excellent results from it. Problems: Only negative is that the fn button can only be programmed to control a single function at any one time, more programmable buttons would have been good.

deisenbraun

I've been a Nikon person for many years and this is my first digital. There are a couple of things I miss but I'll get into them in a moment. First is that is does a pretty good job. My mind is still expecting to see that pure liquid clarity of a Kodachrome slide but alas I'll get used to digital I guess. :-) In any case, close ups and such were fine though I had trouble focusing a group of students across a small class room. Low-light flash performance with the SB-600 is excellent and ...

dsnyder

I've been shooting Nikon 5700, 8700 and other high end compacts but this is my first D-SLR. I outfitted the new body with the 18-200mm Nikon VR lens and have been very satisfied with the greater range at both ends of this zoom, both wider and higher power than my prior compacts. As a long time film shooter who transitioned to digital 6 years ago, this set up felt like coming home with rapid focus and instantaneous shots that I'd long ago forgotten possible. I still miss the flip out and ...

sointula

It is my first digital camera. The image quality seems better than I expected. Very light and small, easy to carry. However the kit lens 18-55 seems very weak even though it works nicely.

S2404

I have been using the D40x for the past 3 weeks now and I love every bit of it. It was made with people like me in mind. I almost changed my mind for other products, i congratulate myself for sticking to D40x. Right now, I am loving it. Problems: So far so good. As an amateur, i kind of miss some steps once in awhile. Also, I sometimes think the price is a bit too high. However, anytime I consider the reputation of Nikon and the output from my D40X, i just accept the price to be right.

PSImage

Just offsetting pirinchov's idiotic review. Would also like to see negative reviews people have purchasing the camera not placed here. Those are not the camera companies fault. Buy from a reputable dealer people.

Adomas

I am very glad that I bought this camera. My wife loves it too. Previously I had D200, but I had to sell it for various reasons. Now I can see that D40x is better for me and my family. It is easier to use, lighter and makes very good pictures. It does what it is supposed to do and does it very good. AF is also not a problem for me because I always hated screwdriver AF, and I sold my non-AFS lenses. Next thing I'm going to buy is Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM. Very usable iso 800 and 1600 (better than ...

jefenniejr

I have had this camera for 1 week. 280 pictures so far. This camera is so close to the D200, only smaller and more manageable! If you don't mind manual focusing the older Nikkor lenses it is a real gem. I wish it had a few more focus areas, but you can work around that. The build is very good, battery life is very good as well. I am still working off the first charge! So far very pleased, and I know it will travel with me a lot more than my D200. It is a nice match with the 18-200 f3.5 VR ...

georgecf

Just to offset the silly 1 overall ratings by 'pironcov' - who apparently posted the rating without having the camera nor a clue about what a camera should be.