Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8G User Reviews

Announced Jan 6, 2012 •
Telephoto prime lens | Nikon F (FX) | 2201

Very good light weight portrait lens, colors are sharp, focus is very fast & tack sharp, as far as I am concerned no need for the very expensive 1.4 lens.

I have pretty much always had an 85mm for portraits indoors without flash. For a long time I had the old f1.8 non-D version which I found gave me lovely tones in black-and-white. Then the focussing drive pin disappeared somewhere into my D850 so I bought another one. When that also showed signs of focussing problems I gave way to modernity and bought the latest G version. I'm delighted with it. It's very sharp (I usually use it at f2.8). The depth-of-field is just enough to get most of the ...

The previous Nikon F1.8 AFS "G" primes I've used, the 50/1.8, 35/1.8 and 28/1.8, have all been significant upgrades to their older AF-D counterparts, and the Nikon AF-S 85/1.8 G very much continues this trend. As with the others, this is a fairly large, light lens, well-built and nicely balanced. Immediately standing out is the feel of the manual focus ring, which unlike the 35mm and 28mm has no lag/wiggle whatsoever and is a joy to use despite the relatively short throw. Optically, well let ...

The recent Nikon price drop prompted me to buy an 85mm f/1.8G as a light lens for general photography, for air travel, overhead luggage, etc.  This lens has slightly more reach than my 60mm G, ( my vacation lens for many years) but does not focus very closely. I still stick to mid apertures, always use the lens hood, and so far this lens produces very good sharpness/contrast/low distortion.  The farm animal lens test:

Swift One

This most certainly is my favorite portrait lens on my D5300 as well as my D7500.  It can be a bit long on DX, but I do mainly outdoor portraits.  If I can get away with it, I will use it every time.    Very sharp, and I really like the subject separation from the background.

Kazzaz

I knew it was a good lens, but it really exceeded my expectation. Great lens, highly recommended for that price no other lens comes near.

I'm writing down this review to reflect my experience in using this Nikon 85mm f/1.8G lens. I had owned it for several months from last year until earlier this year when I sold it. I have Nikon 50mm f/1.8G lens and having used it for portrait a few times, I found it a little bit short in focus length especially for head shot and also while my old 55-200mm VR II was great, its aperature was too small to isolate the subject better so that's when I decided to get this lens. When I first used ...

GarysInSoCal

As a former owner of the G Series 85mm F1.4... I much prefer this lens as it is significantly lighter and alittle bit sharper.  Very happy with it's performance... comes highly recommended here.

duchamp

Once I used the GREAT GREAT GREAT 70-200 2.8 for studio photography. However, 1.5m minimum focusing distance made me crop heavily for newborn/pet studio photography.  Now this is my perfect studio lens.