Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED User Reviews

Announced Apr 20, 2005 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Nikon F (DX) | 2156

I think I mistakenly bought a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED (without VR) to use on my D5000 and was wondering if there were compatibility issues.

I paid fifty bucks for this lens in a pawn shop, in perfect condition. Except for the lack of VR, it's nearly perfect, for what it costs and how light and compact the lens is. The auto focus is fast enough to catch flying birds and other moving subjects.  If the lens is kept fast enough to freeze motion, then it doesn't need VR, but it's a shame these sharp, clear, and chap Nikon AF-S lenses didn't come with VR, to make them usable at lower shutter speeds, handheld. Remember, when looking at ...

Humansvillian

I paid $60 for this lens in a pawn shop, and by my beginner standards it works great on my D3000.  New, the lens only costs a little more than $100. It would be nice if it had VR, but it's a cheap kit telephoto lens.  I was able to catch these shots with it, handheld, on automatic settings. This lens has been replaced, I think, with the VR version, which is also ridiculously cheap.  But for the pocket change the 55-200ED costs as a used lens, how can you go wrong if you have a DX camera, or ...

VinceC

At £99 from Hong Kong, this lens is a bargain.  Small, light, flexible, sharpness not as good as my 70-300, but much smaller and easier to pack in a bag. Recommended - as long as you are not looking for a top-flight lens.