Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC User Reviews

Telephoto prime lens | Nikon F (FX) | 1932

The lens is beautifully made and has a very interesting defocus control (DC) that ads extra 'butter' in the transitions from focus and out of focus areas. The first problem I had with this DC control, even after carefully reading instructions and watching videos, is that i found the effect to be so subtle i barely noticed it. Matt Granger does a video with tests comparing it and he also states the same. An aperture of f1.4 will always give you more buttery bokeh than this f2 with DC control, ...

This lens has just arrived, brand new and a superb sample. Sharp right upto the edges even wide open @ F2    I can choose any focus point and it is spot on. From F2.8 it is simply biting sharp. The bokeh is simply superb. My verdict on this lens is short n sweet.... The best portrait lens money can buy :) I can not wait to try it out properly. These are my first test shots. All shot wide open @ F2 of course :) with the obligatory 100 % crop thrown in ! Nikon 105mm F2.... Nikon D810 100 % crop ...

kwe

Eversince I have bought this lens for my D800 I have in parallel been looking for alternatives. Not because I have regretted the buy, but more because I would like to have VR or faster autofocus. Having said this, the lens is perfect for any shots - especially in low light - but may be sports or action settings. As this is evidently not its purpose why do I worry ...? I don't know. I love this lens. Next to its optical qualities you will also love its built and look & feel.

KC Davis

One of my favorite. I love the focal length, even on my D7000. The defocus control seems pretty subtle, but it makes the lens special and I hope to hang on to this one for a life time.  This and my 85 F1.8 g are two of my favorit portrait lenses. I often wonder how the price will be affected for used copies once the lens is no longer in production. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

An exquisite lens. Of my 4 lenses (50mm f/1.4 G ¦ 18-35mm AF-D ¦ 28-70 AF D), the best I have. A dream for portraiture. On D700, focal of 105mm is more balanced and flexible than 135mm. DC control can add a little something (just set the R (rear) ring to the same aperture at which you're shooting) but even without it, you'll get a bokeh like not other, creamy, dreamy. Lens is sharp as needed for portraiture. The quintessence of harmony and fluidity.

pjman792

Few lenses actually deserve the term 'legendary', but this one does. It is outstanding in every respect - from build quality to sharpness at wide apertures, this lens is one of the outstanding achievements in optical design. Shooting portraits at f2 is simply a joy, and the results are amazing. Problems: None.

crizman

Love this lens,bought it to replace my old nikon 1o5 f2.5 lens( a great classic). This lens is everything that you have read about it. sharp as a tack.Great bokeh,creamy soft backgrounds,great colors. built in hood,which I prefer! fast focusing. A true pro lens for portraits! I chose this over the 135 f2 due to some people have said the 135 can be hit or miss! Problems: The defocus control can be tricky & takes practice getting used to. Once you get the hang of it - It's GREAT!