Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM User Reviews

Telephoto zoom lens | Canon EF | 2578A002
47872Mike

This really is a great lens for its evenness of performance and general optical (and mechanical) properties. Unfortunately it does have one potentially very obvious optical weakness when used on full-frame, and that is...linear distortion. Perhaps I've been spoiled by years of shooting on crop formats, but wow...I was surprised just how obvious it was in the horizons of my seascapes, particularly at 70mm.

dousanmiaography

For its price, it is a pretty good telephoto lens. Sharpness is pretty good all throughout and the lens is very portable. However, I find it quite difficult to use in slightly low light situations. For example, even on an overcast day, I still need to raise my ISO to 1000 to compensate for handheld shake, which of course will compromise image quality. I must stress the importance of IS is more and more important at longer focal lengths. In conclusion, if you have the extra bucks, get the IS ...

Ian from Berks

After a lot of thought I bought this lens, and am really pleased with the quality. I have a very expensive safari planned and the internal flight has a strict 15kg weight limit. I have a 100-400 lens and this would have been too heavy. This is so light, and with a Canon 7 Mk 11 it will give me the equivalent of a 300 F4. Preferred it over the new 70-300 as there is no "trombone" and less risk of dust and grit.

Spanish_z

The 70-200mm F4 became right away one of my favorite lenses. I was using its big brother, the 70-200 f2.8 L USM and wanted something a bit lighter for "urban travel". I got it second hand and fell in love with it on first use. It is very light, EXCELLENT optics and great focal range. Now, it is always in my bag.

I bought this lens as my first "L" lens. For the price, it is hard to beat.  The 70-200mm zoom is a great range and has a fixed f stop (4.0) across that range.  The lens focusses quickly and gives tack sharp results. The lens is also relatively light at 705 grams , less than half the weight of the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM. Some may wish for image stability but this effectively doubles the price. Factor in whether image stability is important for your shots. Shot on a Canon 80D

This was the second L lens I ever bought, and I must say I'm very impressed with every aspect of this lens. being able to shoot wide open and get pin-sharp results is an amazing feeling, and the build quality is second to none. Just make sure you have a fast shutter-speed because it is an insult against this lenses sharpness to motion blur with it!

ClickJohnClick

It's the baby of Canon's 70-200L lenses, but a real winner if you want superb image quality and fast quiet focus in a package that doesn't weigh like a concrete fence-post.

I have had this lens now for about ten years and it has be help judge other lenses before purchasing them. It is very sharp in its range and very versatile for todays cameras. It also works well with extension tubes for close up work. The image quality and color of images that are produced are very pleasing. I shoot with a monopod at longer lengths and this always helps when using slow shutter speeds. Having this lens for over ten years has let me know what good image quality and lens use is ...

Chandresh Rathor

Its a fantastic Lens Great Optics Light weight Great performance Value for money A must buy lens for wildlife, portraiture. I have been into wildlife and this lens have proved itself time and again. Problems: None

Derrick Louw

After owing an f4 (non IS), then a 2.8 (non IS), then a 2.8 IS, I have now returned to a new f4! Used on 1Ds2 and 1Ds3. Problems: None