Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM User Reviews

Announced Aug 22, 2013 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Canon EF-S | 8546B002
Arifur

It's a good one lens for Canon APS-C body. Though it may have some chromatic aberration, But it can take good quality picture.

IQ is very good, especially considering the price tag. I found the old version’s IQ degrades at long distances, but the STM is consistently sharp at all distances. My copy seems to be sharper on the long end than the short end, which IMHO is better than the other way around. The short minimum focus distance is quite useful, giving you closeup capability when you are caught without a macro. I wish more high-class telephoto lenses were more flexible like this. Unlike the old version, the STM’s ...

Yossarian1

I bought this lens as an option for telephoto when travelling.  At 375 grams it is about half the weight of the 70-200mm F/4L USM and provides a slightly longer reach as well as IS. Its focus is fast.  The added bonus of the STM motor is its quietness, making it ideal for video work. I have been really impressed with the image quality for the price.  This little lens simply performs. I find that I put it in the bag on most occasions now and always have a tele option close at hand.

I initially planned to sell off the kit lenses that came with my 80D when I upgraded from the 60D, but to my surprise I found myself using the included 55-250mm lens more than just about any other lens in my kit! My only real complaint about it would be the dark, variable aperture. In addition to the video review, I've published a full written review on my blog: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2017/10/canon-55-250mm-is-stm-f4-56-review.html

Found this lens on sale for only $199 CAD and purchased it as a replacement for the first edition EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. Its first real field test was during a winter vacation in Hawaii. The overall build quality and sharpness appear to be significantly better with the new lens. In comparison to the older version, the new STM lens is nearly silent in operation and seems to focus much more quickly and reliably, though it did struggle in dual pixel mode under low light and there were a few ...

jgreenjr

I brought this 2 years ago, I use it for T3 Rebel 1100D only gave $60.00 like new i use it for to shot moon and others not heavy at all this lens really take good pictures and good sharp also. Great lens to have  !

Picked one of these up as a canon refurb for under 140 delivered. The build quality is what you would expect form a consumer zoom. However, has nice stm focus, with decent speed and has excellent sharpness even wide open at 250mm, and its small and light. Paired with an sl-1 or a 70D it makes for a very nice light tele combo. I shoot humming birds with many lenses including 100-400L and 70-300L and this lens has never disappointed me

Pretty much an entirely new design. Not just going from a DC motor/gear drive to STM but new glass and more of it too. Much improved from the previous versions. Works very well on my EOS M with adapter. The Good: Silent fast focusing and Image Stabilization. Front element doesn't turn. Very sharp overall, center is sharpest. My two copies both manual focus (ring) and zoom smoothly. Light weight. Very good build quality for a cheap budget lens. The Bad: Vignettes pretty heavy in the corners. ...

I have used this on my EOS T1i for some time now.  Closed down it's very sharp, and shines even better on my new 70D.  IQ deteriorates over 200mm and significant vignetting at 250mm, but that can be removed easily with some post processing.  I eventually want to upgrade to a EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, but this is a very worthy lens for small budgets.

Farzin Doust

I worked with 18-200.but it was too slow.I love this 55-200mm stm.