Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Announced Sep 17, 2008 •
Wideangle prime lens | Canon EF | 2750B002

An ultrafast wide lens is bound to attract attention and desire, like a 90/60/90 babe in a tight bikini on a beach. So for a while, this lens was the only option in the Canon land (until Sigma's double whammy of 20 and 24mm f/1.4). I must admit I had no real need for this lens but I had the chance and the money to get some kind of new gear, and I decided to get this - especially since I somehow always find myself shooting at night or in dark places where even the 16-35/2.8 was not cutting ...

KAllen

Basically like every Canon f1.4 I have used sharp in the middle and mashed potato in the corners at f1.4. It doesn't make any effort at f1.4  to get the edges slightly sharp, probably OK if you shoot a daisy and bang on about Bokeh, rubbish for most other things at f1.4

Canon's  EF 24mm f/1.4L USM II lens (with a Hoya Pro1D filter fitted). . ...Well worth the purchase.  After 5 years of using this lens on a regular basis, I feel it's appropriate to write a review of my positive experiences with it. I've used this lens on five different cameras and the results were always predictably satisfying. . I noticed before purchasing the lens that it was highly regarded as a high-end 'wide' angle lens by many professional photographers.  Wedding photographers often ...

What to say: it's simply a pleasure to use it! Sharp already wide open, it allows a nice control of DOF even though is a wide angle. Just don't forget to load its own profile on your camera or you'll get massive vignetting, even on crop bodies. It is definitely sharper than my beloved EF 28mm f/1.8 USM at f/1.8, even if the 28 is much more convenient in terms of weight and (this is probably personal) FOV. The only reason to prefer it to the 28 is for star photography, where the 4mm less and ...

xyzchristianxyz

Very nice lense, love the bokeh. Sharp in center from 2.0 and Sharp all the way from 2.8. Feels very solid and is my new standart lens. Price / Value could be better

Benny Iskandar

Quite difficult to focus on f1.4 especially on the close area distance, but very tack sharp start on f/2.2 . Amazing wide angle lens, i love it and use it very well on my street pictures.

BozillaNZ

+Good sharpness, fast, minimal CA. -Inconsistent focus! Have to try hard to let it hit exactly where you want.