Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x

Announced May 14, 2013 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Canon EF | 5176B002

I've seen a lot of questions about the 200-400 f/4 vs. 500 f/4 vs. 600 f/4 when it come sot bird-watching; I have the 400 5.6 currently and will be upgrading, so I had the same questions. First on my rental list was the 200-400, and if I'm being completely honest, after using it for 3 days, I don't get the hype. So here are my thoughts, in bullet-point form (for those wondering, I'm using the 7Dii for my body). (1) First point: The weight. The first thing you notice with the lens is the weight. ...

I have an array of L lenses including the 70-200 2.8, 70-200 f4 IS and the 300 f4 IS and this is by far the sharpest lens that I've shot with. At over 8 pounds it is and unwielding beast which I prefer to shoot (at least for birds) without a tripod. In my opinion it is worth evey dollar that Canon is charging for this unique piece of glass.

this is very expansive lens. after test fell it's very so-so. please see photos. how do you think. it's $12000 lens. canon 200-400mm f4 extender 1.4x lens. this is 1x focal length 200mm. canon 200-400mm f4 extender 1.4 lens. this is 1.4x focal length 280mm. this is 1x focal length 400mm this is 1.4x focal length 560mm