Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR User Reviews

Announced Aug 9, 2006 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Nikon F (FX) | 2161

As mentioned in a previous review of the $399 AF-P version, I bought this lens on the advice of a salesman at a well known store. When I put it on my D3400 it worked well mechanically. However I had trouble getting the expected sharpness. Sometimes good but many times not good. I compared it over an extra long distance with my old Coolpix P510 that has a 1000mm equivalent focal length. This lens did not come near the P510 for sharpness. It would focus extra fast but the end result was very ...

cloudnine

Pretty sharp for portraits. Compact for the focal distance 300mm. Even though, it becomes softer at longer zoom distances. Very soft beyond 200mm. I've pushed myself to use this lens not once. Nevertheless, I've found that the combination of Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm + Sigma (macro)105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM + Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF is much more useful and flexible for me.

pfeitosa

On DX, consider the 55-300mm for most uses, but for sports and fast objects: the 70-300 focuses much faster. Pretty good macro (use it to picture butterflies).But it could make good use of a collar tripod ring, which sadly doesn't exist not even as an optional. Pros: relatively compact (for a FX lens), and fast (for it's price). Cons: dark (f/5.6@300mm), and does not have a collar tripod ring, not even as an optional. You can find this lens for up to 30% less if you consider a refurbished one.