Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

Announced Aug 9, 2006 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Nikon F (FX) | 2161

Hi there, Just bought this lens on recommendation of Ken Rockwells site. Couldnt be happier with the initial results. Took it out for a day at the Zoo in Perth, Western Australia. Was astounded at the clarity, and the autofocus! See the included pics. Martin Eloury Tiger - Perth Zoo , Western Australia, 21st April , 2013. Nikon D7000

Carl Sanders

This came in to replace the 55 - 300 DX lens on the basis of better quality and coverage on the DX cameras. Not disappointed, not as sharp as the pro lenses but sufficient with manipulation software. Lightweight and quick to focus, work around the f/8 as it is the lenses sweet spot.  Useable with the FX system the lens has already proven itself and a worthy piece of kit.

Obviously, at it's current price point (about $500 new) this is a decent, lightweight, compact lens for the money that offers a great range of focal lengths.  It's not the fastest one out there at an aperture range of f/4.5-5.6, but it is certain worth it in the end as a compact, but versatile and somewhat powerful lens.  Overall, I'm pleased with it.  It appears to deliver decent image quality, but can get more tricky at the long end (300mm; keeping the lens stable enough, but some practice ...

I highly recommend this lens for portraits, sports and wildlife... very sharp... great zoom range... good bokeh when shooting close to wide open at 200+MM. Have shot the vast majority of this image folder with the 70-300 ED-VR... ;) http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2623/viewall#/A338959

marcdewit

This lens is very nice indeed. Sharp results across the complete range 70-300 maybe I am lucky but also 300mm really good Fast focusing for a consumer lens The low weight  ...... LOVE IT ! Probably selling my 70200 Very happy user Marc

Although the build quality is strictly pro-sumer, meaning a lot of poly carbonate, the images made with it are outstanding. I didn't want to lug around a 300mm Af or the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8, (really heavy)so I took this much lighter lens with me yesterday and was happy with the results. Price being about half of the 300mm Nikkor Af f/4, and the 80-200mm f/2.8, it was fun to shoot a relatively inexpensive easy to handle zoom lens, with quite a bit of range. I spent the afternoon shooting ...

I have used the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR (FX format lens) with my Nikon D7100 (DX format camera) for a couple of years now, and I am quite pleased with it. The lens has primarily been used at indoor swim meets, and I have had some good results. Due to its plastic construction the lens is light, it is fast focussing, and it is pretty sharp in the mid-range (100-200mm)! The zoom is a tad sticky, and I have had the lens occasionally search in auto-focus, likely due to low (indoor pool) ...

cloudnine

Pretty sharp for portraits. Compact for the focal distance 300mm. Even though, it becomes softer at longer zoom distances. Very soft beyond 200mm. I've pushed myself to use this lens not once. Nevertheless, I've found that the combination of Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm + Sigma (macro)105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM + Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF is much more useful and flexible for me.

The Ampro

I am so impressed with this lens. Took lots of pictures of an airshow and was amazed.

depscribe

There are probably -- certainly -- lenses that will more satisfy pixel peepers. I know of no lens, though, that will more satisfy the photographer. The sheer zen of using it is remarkable. It is not too heavy, but it is heavy enough that carrying the camera by the lens feels fine. It is quick in use. It is for all practical purposes, plenty sharp. It is not fast; on the other hand, on a DX body at the long end it is a 450mm f5.6, which isn't bad, especially for those of us who grew up with ...