The teardown revealed a separate lens within the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, helping boost its repairability score to 7 out of 10 on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team also found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws holding most of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3's 3.7 V battery is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from previous models -- presumably due to the device's smaller size.The battery is intended to be easily replaced by the user, and requires no tools to access.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly and can be replaced independently of the rest of the board. This should keep repair costs down if the sensor itself dies, but not the whole motherboard.
- Chips on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 system PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller
You can see the full teardown on the iFixit website.
You may also like
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels689The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review364Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2133Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review323Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2489Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review1599OpinionThe myth of the upgrade pathTouch and goNikon D5500 Review40ArticleTo St. Helens and Back: Olympus TG-Tracker Shooting ExperienceKirkjufell mountainBehind the Shot: Shredded324Can we get much wider?Canon EF 11-24mm F4 L USM gallery196Beyond the table top5 mini tripods reviewedWhat's that Sound?Shedding some light on the sources of noise540ArticlePanasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 review425Inching forward? Canon PowerShot G5 X ReviewField Test VideoNikon D7200202Long and short of itTamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro review377You'll be impressedShootout: Tamron 15-30 F2.8 vs. Nikon 14-24 F2.8