The teardown revealed a separate lens within the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, helping boost its repairability score to 7 out of 10 on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team also found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws holding most of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3's 3.7 V battery is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from previous models -- presumably due to the device's smaller size.The battery is intended to be easily replaced by the user, and requires no tools to access.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly and can be replaced independently of the rest of the board. This should keep repair costs down if the sensor itself dies, but not the whole motherboard.
- Chips on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 system PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller
You can see the full teardown on the iFixit website.
You may also like
|I am an Elephant by Bibix|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 5, E
|Mossy forest panorama by Jill Hancock|
from Your point of view
|Ship Moon and Stars by LJJohnston|
from For creative newbies only..
Most popular cameras
in time for the holidaysCamera Roundups Updatedshop aroundHoliday Gift Guides for Every Budget68i wanna fly awayBest Camera Drones Under $1500In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and Videosreal world performanceField Test Videossee how we seeSample Galleries202wide-angle wonderSigma 12-24mm F4 Art Lens Review66instant gratification2016 Instax mini roundup701new kid on the blockYI M1 review221action-packedSony a6500 First Impressions1226ultimate om-dOlympus E-M1 Mark II Review2318FeatureWhat is equivalence?What's that Noise?Shedding some light on the sources of noise171VideoDog Portraits with the Sony a6300