The teardown revealed a separate lens within the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, helping boost its repairability score to 7 out of 10 on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team also found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws holding most of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3's 3.7 V battery is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from previous models -- presumably due to the device's smaller size.The battery is intended to be easily replaced by the user, and requires no tools to access.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly and can be replaced independently of the rest of the board. This should keep repair costs down if the sensor itself dies, but not the whole motherboard.
- Chips on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 system PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller
You can see the full teardown on the iFixit website.
You may also like
Have your say
What's been the most exciting announcement of Photokina?
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
Total voters: 5,343
|Sadiqur_Rahman by Sadiqur Rahman|
from Ain't Going to Work on Maggie's Farm no More
|Airborne by John Beavin|
from - How to respect the Flag and Anthem - (Portrait in Full Colours + A Border)
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels711The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review372Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2163Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review338Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2501Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 ReviewSpeed BoostSony SLT-A77 II Review717Mono a monoLeica Monochrom (Typ 246) hands-on177Super Zoom? Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 Field Testrock steadyOlympus OM-D E-M5 II Review401Inching forward? Canon PowerShot G5 X Review2162Playing the Ace?Sony Alpha 7R II Review198Beyond the table top5 mini tripods reviewedTwo in oneLG G5 camera review741In Fine DetailCanon EOS 5DS / 5DS R Review2220FeatureWhat is equivalence?Field Test VideoNikon D7200333Can we get much wider?Canon EF 11-24mm F4 L USM gallery