The teardown revealed a separate lens within the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, helping boost its repairability score to 7 out of 10 on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team also found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws holding most of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3's 3.7 V battery is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from previous models -- presumably due to the device's smaller size.The battery is intended to be easily replaced by the user, and requires no tools to access.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly and can be replaced independently of the rest of the board. This should keep repair costs down if the sensor itself dies, but not the whole motherboard.
- Chips on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 system PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller
You can see the full teardown on the iFixit website.
You may also like
|AF4_2483 Surfing the Serengeti by DaveInHouston|
from Hot Air Balloon view
|Peregrine Falcon by Psychic1|
from Best Wildlife Photo of the Week - 4
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels707The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review370Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2154Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review330Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2487Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review740In Fine DetailCanon EOS 5DS / 5DS R Review1140In-depth ReviewLeica QTwice as Nice?Canon EOS 7D Mark II Review2161Playing the Ace?Sony Alpha 7R II Review1514A lot to Leica? Hands-on with the Leica SL (Typ 601)423Real-world testThe Sony a6000 goes surfing555Ultra-compactSony Cyber-shot RX1R II reviewrock steadyOlympus OM-D E-M5 II Review721Bang for the BuckOlympus OM-D E-M10 II Review716Mono a monoLeica Monochrom (Typ 246) hands-onWhat's that Sound?Shedding some light on the sources of noise1068History RepeatingOlympus PEN-F Review