The teardown revealed a separate lens within the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, helping boost its repairability score to 7 out of 10 on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team also found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws holding most of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3's 3.7 V battery is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from previous models -- presumably due to the device's smaller size.The battery is intended to be easily replaced by the user, and requires no tools to access.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly and can be replaced independently of the rest of the board. This should keep repair costs down if the sensor itself dies, but not the whole motherboard.
- Chips on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 system PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller
You can see the full teardown on the iFixit website.
You may also like
|Orange-tip Butterfly by anisah|
from Nature's Colour Palette
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels712The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review373Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2165Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review338Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2501Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review179Bag ReviewPeak Design Everyday Messenger103VideoTamron SP 15-30mm F2.8 Field Test48ArticleTo St. Helens and Back: Olympus TG-Tracker Shooting ExperienceTouch and goNikon D5500 Review541ArticlePanasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 review391You'll be impressedShootout: Tamron 15-30 F2.8 vs. Nikon 14-24 F2.8549Ultra-compactSony Cyber-shot RX1R II review199Beyond the table top5 mini tripods reviewed741In Fine DetailCanon EOS 5DS / 5DS R Review1497A lot to Leica? Hands-on with the Leica SL (Typ 601)Field Test VideoNikon D7200Two in oneLG G5 camera review