Tech writers who got their hands on the Microsoft Surface tablet early are returning their results today, with lots of reports balancing gushy praise with harsh criticisms.
- Price: The Surface starts at $499 for 32GB or $599 for 64GB, versus the now 4th generation iPad which starts at $599 32GB or $699 for 64GB.
- USB 2.0: Compatible with current accesories and peripherals.
- Expandable memory: Offers a memory-card slot to up capacity by as much as 64 GB.
- Software: Windows RT, the variation of Windows 8 the device runs on, won't support current Windows programs, and thus will have a limited selection of apps (3,500 in the Windows App Store compared to 275,000 in Apple's App Store). Though previously expected to only run a preview version of Word, Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint, Microsoft was able to deliver the final version of Office 2013 RT earlier than expected and users may download it starting October 26.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi only.
- Screen sharpness: Even at 1,366 by 768 pixels it can't approach the iPad’s Retina screen at 2,048 by 1,536 pixels.
- Battery life: Up to eight hours, versus 10 on the iPad.
- The keyboard: Reviews indicate poor experiences with the Touch Cover, but the Type Cover with real keys seems to perform as promised, letting you decide when you want the expanded keyboard of a laptop, and when you'll opt for a tablet experience.
- Size: Larger and heavier than the newest iPad at 10.81 inches tall and 1.5 pounds vs. the 9.5-inch and 1.44-pound iPad, but a smaller width at 6.77 inches vs. the 7.31-inch-wide iPad. The longer rectangle shape of the Surface and 16:9 ratio make it better suited for movie watching, some reviewers said, in which case the 10.6-inch screen size (vs. iPad's 9.7 inches) may be a plus as well.
Considerations for photographers:
- Desktop editors on tablet: The Microsoft Surface won't run full-scale Windows programs, but the upcoming Surface Pro will. Think Photoshop and Lightroom on a tablet. However, this device is going to be heavier and more expensive, so you may be back to pondering if a small laptop or something like the Surface is the better way to go for on-the-go workflow solutions.
- Foldable keyboard: Though it sounds like the Type Cover is the better choice, the option of a keyboard may make it easer to switch between tablet and almost-laptop on the fly, allowing you to choose when to use the device for portfolio display or when to switch to serious editing work with the benefit of laptop functionality. Don't forget this in the price though -- neither keyboard is included and the Touch version will add on another $120 or $130 for the Type version.
- Smart stylus capabilities: The Surface's proximity sensor makes for seamless swiching between stylus and your fingers.
The tablet officially launches on Friday, Oct. 26, though preorders started last week. If you just can't wait to hear more, Microsoft will also offer a webcast about the Surface tomorrow, starting at 1:30 p.m. EDT on its consumer site.
Next up for Microsoft: The release of its Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system (first available on phones from both Nokia and HTC) on Monday, Oct. 29, the same day Google is expected to showcase a new Nexus smarthphone from LG, an updated Nexus 7 tablet and a larger tablet from Samsung.
|splat by Eb Swarbrick|
from Album cover for a rock band
|Madagascar1 by Jaklab|
from Mind and matter - the creations of humanity.
According to a Reuters report, US Congress is urging US companies to sever ties with Chinese manufacturers of communication equipment.
A firm launch date is still forthcoming, but in the meantime a sample reel from Kodak's new Super 8 camera has been released.
HTC's newest handset, the HTC U11 Eyes, improves on the standard U11 by slapping a dual camera on the front for 'portrait mode' selfies with real-time bokeh simulation.
Missile scare notwithstanding, we spent a lovely few days in Hawaii shooting with Sony's newest APS-C E-mount lens. See how it measures up capturing the spectacular scenery that the Aloha State is known for.
Now that we've completed our review of Panasonic's Lumix DC-G9, we've updated its entry in our Best Cameras Under $2000 and Best Cameras for Sports & Action buying guides.
Hasselblad has introduced its next-generation multi-shot camera body, built to shoot 400-megapixel photos by using sensor-shift technology to combine up to six exposures into a single monster image measuring 23200 x 17400 pixels.
CVS is banning digitally altered beauty imagery on its store-brand beauty products, and plans to mark other brands' images as "Digitally Altered" if they're not up to snuff by the end of 2020.
Canon has announced that it will introduce a series of printers that allow users to refill the ink tanks themselves—a surprising shift that could, in theory, save customers quite a bit of money.
Adventure and lifestyle photographer Lucy Martin put together a useful little video that goes over her 18 favorite Lightroom shortcuts—a great guide for beginners.
Following a series of allegations of sexual misconduct against Bruce Weber and Mario Testino, magazine publisher Conde Nast has severed ties with both of the famed fashion photographers, and released a code of conduct for future photo shoots.
Photographer Christopher Payne captures the 'colorful world of craft and complexity' you'll find in the General Pencil Company's factory in Jersey City... and almost nowhere else.
A new feature in the Google Arts & Culture app compares your facial features to its database of thousands of artworks, finding your fine art "doppelganger."
Recently, we spent a day in Los Angeles with photographer, cook and food blogger Kylie Mazon. Join us and see how Kylie approaches the challenge of shooting lifestyle and promotional images for a downtown hotel with the Canon EOS M6.
Leica has announced a pair of short telephoto lenses for its SL full-frame mirrorless camera. The APO-Summicron-SL 75mm and 90mm F2 ASPH lenses feature an apochromatic design to reduce chromatic aberration, one aspherical element and minimum focusing distances of around 0.5m.
The Panasonic G9 is the brand's top-tier stills camera. We've updated our already large sample gallery with even more photos to enjoy.
The latest product of Huawei's collaboration with Leica is a smartphone with a great all-around imaging feature set that left us very little to complain about.
In this quick video, award-winning travel photographer Bob Holmes shares nine of his most basic and straightforward tips for finding great images, even when you're in a rut.
Gudsen has launched a new gimbal that’s aimed at mirrorless photographers. With a payload of 3.9lbs/1.8kg, the new Moza AirCross can provide stabilization to a mirrorless body even fitted with a cinema lens and a new in-handle option can provide power to Sony and Panasonic cameras.
The Lensbaby 46mm Macro Kit comprises of three stackable filters with different magnification levels, which can be combined with several of the company's "bokeh effect" lenses.
Nikon Rumors is reporting that an upcoming full-frame mirrorless camera from Nikon will sport an all-new "Z-Mount" with an extremely short flange distance of just 16mm.
A lot of people still have positive associations with the Kodak brand and its iconic logos, but it’s worth clearing something up: not everything with the Kodak name on it has much connection to a bunch of clever people in Rochester, New York.
A leaked image of a Galaxy S9 retail box indicates the new model might come with a variable aperture lens and a super-slow-motion video mode.
The portable little scanner features a 3.5-inch color screen, an integrated SD card slot for saving your scans, adapter trays for different types of film, and an HDMI port for viewing your scans directly on an external display.
Yesterday, Canon Italy and Canon Spain accidentally shared a composite photo that contained stolen elements shot with a Fujifilm camera. Today, in a response on social media, the company somehow managed to make things worse.
We've got a pair of Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN lenses in the office: one for Micro Four Thirds and the other for Sony E-mount. In this article we have some impressions of the MFT version, as well as some other lenses in this class worth considering.
Most wedding photographers are probably open to a little bit of feedback from their clients, but one Hong Kong couple was reportedly so upset, they provided their photographer with a detailed 30-page report full of their grievances!
It appears Huwei's ties to the Chinese Government and a fear of espionage have played a role in AT&T's decision not to offer the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and it's Leica-branded dual camera to customers in the United States.
The Autel Robotics EVO looks like the first serious competitor for DJI's Mavic Pro Platinum. With a better remote, slightly better camera, and a slightly cheaper price tag, this drone could steal some serious Mavic market share.
Sony has released firmware version 2.00 for its flagship a9 mirrorless camera. The most notable improvements are to continuous AF, but overall stability has been addressed, as well.
Kodak just debuted a bitcoin mining machine for rent at CES, leaving photographers slack-jawed and confused, and cryptocurrency mining experts balking at what they claim is an outright scam.