Dubble app crowdsources to create double exposures
Dubble is a new community-based photography app for iOS with lomo flair. Dubble takes the concept of double exposures — either a trick or a mistake in which photographers expose a roll of film twice, thereby layering two images in a single frame — and applies it to your smartphone, with a crowdsourcing twist.
Users submit "singles," images imported from your Camera Roll or captured using the in-app camera, which are randomly paired with another "single" to create a double exposure, or "dubble."
We've been playing with a beta version of the app since late September and can attest for the app's fun factor, as well as the quality of the results. Of course some combinations work better than others, but we've seen some rather stunning results too.
There's a bit of a Chatroulette factor at work here in that users are thrown into interacting with each other. Other apps like Rando and Bout have experimented with random photo swapping in an app before, but Dubble's draw is more creative than simple sharing or competition. Users can unwittingly create some very interesting images together.
Once you upload a single, you'll see your first dubble made with that image nearly instantly. Both users' names are listed under the image. You can tap on either name to see their profile, including their dubbles and singles. If they've uploaded a profile photo and added the name of their hometown and a link to their website, you'll see that, but not much more.
You can delete a dubble from your profile if you don't like it by flipping, then deleting it.
Dubbles are square format only and 1,200 pixels. The serviceable-but-not-exciting in-app camera shoots only square, or you can crop images imported from your camera roll.
Dubbles can be shared via Facebook and Twitter initially, with support for Instagram and Flickr expected later.
Dubble brings up some interesting questions of ownership and copyright. We're certainly not lawyers, but the Terms and Conditions for this app were an interesting read:
"When you dubble with another member to create a dubbled Image, all intellectual property rights in the dubbled Image (including copyright) will belong to the members whose Images have been used equally. This is regardless of the actual proportions of the original Images from which the dubbled Image is composed.
If one of your Images is used to create a dubbled Image you cannot exploit, sell, put to any kind of commercial use or transfer your rights in the dubbled Image without the consent of the other member whose Image has been used."
The T&Cs get even more interesting when they delve into what might happen if a dubble were to be used for commercial interests, in which case the makers of Dubble take on the role of agent to negotiate use of the image and collect 15% of the profits (each user receives half of the remaining 85%).
For now, Dubble is only for iOS users, though developers have expressed they are considering both Android and Windows versions. Learn more about Dubble and see examples at life.dubble.me.
Sep 26, 2016
Sep 23, 2016
Sep 23, 2016
Sep 23, 2016
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!