Suite 48 Analytics published a study today revealing that apps on iPhone cost on average 38% less than their Android equivalents. Of the 50 top ranking photo and video apps on iPhone, a majority are priced $0.99, compared to only 34% of Android apps.
While the initial price of iPhone applications may seem lower, the study points out that many iOS apps like Hipstamatic rely on in-app purchases to generate revenue. That trend may be waning as well—49% of iPhone apps older than one year allow in-app purchases compared to 29% of those released in the last six months.
The study also revealed a few other imaging app trends:
- 38% of the top ranking photo apps are photo enhancement apps (such filters or effects apps), followed by "combine" apps (such collage apps), and camera apps.
- Top ranking iPhone photo and video apps have higher user ratings than their Android counterparts.
- Only 10% of the top ranking photo and video apps are video apps (another 13% are apps that can be used both for photos and videos), indicating that still photography continues to dominate the market.
- Only 1% of the top ranking photo and video apps are primarily print product ordering apps such as greeting card or photobook apps; 5% have ordering print products as one of their features.
- 34% of the top grossing photo and video apps on iPad are specially made for iPad, i.e. not offered on iPhone.
- The top 25 free Android photo or video apps in the U.S. generate 63% of their downloads outside the U.S. The equivalent number on the iPhone is significantly lower, at 51%.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%