Autel’s three EVO II drones were set for a late January release, but due to a last-minute software bug the engineering team discovered during production, Autel has confirmed to DPReview that its EVO II drones will likely be pushed back to a March release.

The bug, which ‘could limit flight performance under normal operation,’ according to an email sent to us and copy shared on Autel’s social media accounts, is being addressed on the production line, rather than needing to be fixed by consumers as a day-one software update. Due to the combination of this delay and the Chinese New Year, Autel is estimating that the first units should hit shelves in March, although it notes ‘this is not a set date or time frame,’ as ‘things can always change.’

The post, which is shared in its entirety below, thanks interested customers for their patience as the 18-member Autel team works to get units out as soon as possible.

You can read our original Autel EVO II series coverage for more information about the impending drones and keep up to date with the latest developments via Autel’s Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube channel.

Hello Everyone!

First, we want to thank all of our fans and followers. It doesn’t matter if you just follow one of our social channels, or if you fly our products every day. Your support and enthusiasm have always kept us going here at the Seattle office.

With the announcement of EVO II at CES, the response has been absolutely crazy. This community is exploding, and we thank you for your patience with us as we are still trying to catch up on responses. We also want to be as transparent as possible and give you all periodic updates on the status and availability of EVO II. That way you have the most up to date information straight from us and not just rumors.

Our goal at CES was to get the initial units of EVO II (8k) into the hands of dealers by the end of January. Unfortunately, during production, we found a bug in our software that could limit flight performance under normal operation. Instead of shipping the hardware with a known issue and forcing users to perform day 1 updates, we have decided to delay the rest of production and shipments until we have resolved the issue. Our projected timeline is to have EVO II available for purchase in March. This is not a set date or time frame, and things can always change. But with the information we have today, that is our goal.

The team in Seattle is very small and we are adding channel support as we can. We are looking to start up our website newsletter again in the next few weeks. So for any future updates, please check our website, the official social channels, and emails coming directly from us.

We thank you for your patience. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get a hold of us at support@autelrobotics.com

Thank you all again and fly safe!