Jobs at dpreview.com
Software Development Manager
DPReview.com is seeking a talented, passionate, creative developer to help us craft the look, feel, and functionality of the world's most popular digital camera website. The right candidate will be capable of defining the technical vision for the product, as well as leading the team in achieving that vision.
Our engineers work closely with a small in-house product management and editorial team. Fast, scrappy development and testing, combined with regular (sometimes daily) deployment ensures that no one gets the chance to fall into a rut and that everyone has the opportunity to help shape projects from concept to delivery. You will listen to our audience, help drive our goals, and leverage our unique position in the photographic industry, and to constantly strive for better, smarter ways to deliver the content, services, and community tools that have made the site the success it is.
You'll be excited by the opportunity to build rich interactive user experiences on a large-scale public facing website. Your core focus will be to build the next generation of DPReview web and mobile experiences, including shopping and comparison tools for photographic gear, community and social features focused on photography enthusiasts, and special products in support of Amazon teams. DPReview has enough traffic to pose interesting performance challenges, so a solid knowledge of SQL, database design, and optimization techniques is important.
While we are part of Amazon, DPReview has its own unique culture, with a small but cohesive team of editorial staff and developers. You'll feel like you're at a small startup, with lean, product-focused processes, but with all the upsides of working for a large company.
DPReview.com runs primarily on .NET, but any solid experience with web technologies is sufficient. Also, we collaborate with other Amazon teams to develop features and widgets for Amazon.com, which provides the unique opportunity to show your work to a much larger audience than DPReview’s millions of daily visitors.
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 4+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis, databases, and web technologies
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Build and manage a team of engineers. Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach technical staff
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership ability as a lead software developer
- People management, team building and mentoring experience
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software such as large-scale public websites that have been successfully delivered to customers
- A track record of handling ambiguity well, translating loose product and project requirements into effective customer solutions
- Hands-on expertise in many web technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through back-end systems and all points in between
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, etc.
- Strong UX intuition and demonstrated UI design skills
- Solid database design experience with an emphasis on performance
- Experience with systems administration
Would you like to write for dpreview?
We are currently recruiting freelance writers and bloggers to expand dpreview's coverage of photography to encompass everything from video editing to camera accessories to composition and lighting technique. You don't need to be a professional writer or previously published, but you do need to be able to show you're able to produce work to our incredibly high standards. We're specifically looking for people who can write in an engaging and authoritative manner on the following topics (or you can suggest your own):
- Photo technique
- Accessory reviews
- Software technique
- Accessory reviews and roundups
- Software reviews and roundups
- Book reviews
- Printers and printing technique
- Video/movie capture (technique, technology, reviews)
- Photographer profiles and interviews
- Tips for aspiring professionals
- Opinion pieces
In return we can guarantee you competitive payment rates and/or unrivalled exposure on the world's busiest digital photography website (over 20 million visits per month) and SEO-friendly links to your own websites.
- To apply please use our feedback form with a short description of yourself, your qualifications and the areas where you'd be interesting in contributing.
- Include links to examples of your work.
- Tell us what the first 2 or 3 articles you would like to write would be.