Lives in N. W. Ontario, Canada
Works as a retired
Joined on Apr 21, 2004
April 19, 2004....
Ordered first digicam, and first Minolta...A1. Mega features.....10/10 for features from DPreview. Prosumer bridge cam.
By April, 2007: still wind surfing, have completed two yrs. of university Spanish courses, and getting some fine results with my A1. No thoughts of a DSLR.
August, 2007: See and use D40. Impressed.
May 15, 2008: No D90 yet. Purchased first DSLR: Nikon D300.
January 8, 2009: Picked up a D-40 kit, with 18-55 lens (non VR)....but don't use the lens. [Another option for trips...for security reasons.]
April, 2009: Added Nikon D700 and 24-70 f2.8. (Highly recommended by others) Yes!!! [Used on European trip in 2010...no security problems.]
April 8, 2010: Expanding FX tool kit...added the 14-24 f2.8. (Recommended even by Canon users I have met).
As more of a wide-angle shooter, not likely to complete the Holy Trinity ( especially having the 70-300).
Still reading and studying, trying to become a better practitioner of the art. [Books by Nat'l. Geo. (Rob Sheppard), Bryan Peterson (2), Scott Kelby (3) and Tom Ang, for general purpose; by David Busch for D40, by David Busch as well as Darrell Young for D300 and full package by Thom Hogan for D700.] Dec. '13: have added the main manuals and CDs by Thom Hogan for the D40 and D300.
March, 2012: Converted some pharmacy loyalty points into a Canon Elph 300 HS. Ultra compact. [First major use on trip to Cuba, incl. movies.]
Sept., 2012: Use D40 w/16-85 + Canon Elph 300 on trip to Spain, Morocco and Portugal. Good results, incl. movies.
2018: [Passed 70+8 now...still wind surfing and downhill skiing. (Thank God for the generally good health.) Y tambien hablo poco espanol.]
Equipment usually mounted and used as follows:
Rad Dad's current gear
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full 1080p HD Video (Red)
- Minolta Dimage A1 camera, w/28-200 f2.8-3.5 lens
- Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
- Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)
- Nikon EN-EL3e Battery
- Nikon EN-EL9 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for Nikon D40 and D40x Digital SLR Cameras
- Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras