Lives in Sunland, CA, United States
Works as a Booksellr, occasional picture takr n' troublemakr
Joined on Aug 23, 2010
maxeythecat's current gear
Ah.....my beloved "clunker". Alot of horsepower under a very humble hood and a wonderful camera to hone your chops so to speak. Fun, easy to operate and even at a modest 10mp capable of taking some remarkable photos, this one's a keeper and the ideal camera for anyone upgrading from "point & shoot".
This is one quick shooting little monkey! The EVF does take some real getting used to and it's a bit of a problem to see in really bright daylight, the fact that I can "eyeball" my shot beforehand means that I can snap in Manual mode nearly 100% of the time. That alone makes me love this lil guy..not to mention it takes some pretty nice photos!
The latest addition to my gear list and a very welcome one at that. Sharp as a tack, lightening fast AF and tons of wonderful features....not a bad upgrade if I do say so myself!
Despite what's been said about the Sigma/Sony incompatibility issue, this is one Sig that works just fine with my A35. Not a terrific lens but it does have some good points.
Though it's one of those infamous "kit lenses" I gotta say that this baby ain't half bad. Under the right conditions (and a few of the wrong ones) this low budget bit of glass is fully capable of taking some really beautiful photos.
My first true birding lens. I've had it for some time now and I must admit, it is a wonder. Tack sharp even at the long end, this beastie was build for birding and the AF is to die for. I'm getting shots I never would've imagined with any other lens I've had and to say I'm thrilled with the results is an understatement of the highest order. Clearly the best lens I own, this is definitely a keeper.
- Minolta AF 100 200 f/4.5 Nice walkaround lens and like all Minolta legacy lenses, excellent build excellent quality!
- MINOLTA AF 70 210mm F/4 "beercan" What can you say that hasn't already been said? It rocks!
- Minolta 35-70mm f/4 macro My "baby beercan" that really rocks the macro, boy!
- Minolta 50mm f/1.7 prime My "nifty 50", one of the best primes on the planet!
- Phoenix 100-400mm f/5.6 6.5 Well, this turned out to be a pleasant surprise..I originally bought this on Ebay for the bank-busting price of $99. Yeah, I know but my faithful Tamron 200 400 stripped it's gears and now is only good as a paperweight, so I got this as a band-aid solution until I could afford to replace it. Wasn't expecting much but once I found it's "sweet spot"..best 99$ I ever spent!
- Sony SAM 18-55 f/3.5 5.6 This is the kit lens edition with the plastic mount and a lens I rarely use anymore. Not that it's really bad...on the contrary it's actually pretty good for a "plastic fantastic". Crappy build though and not very sharp..it's bigger cousin, the 75-300 is infinitely better.
- Tamron AF LD 200-400mm f:5.6 175D My big fat Tammie! A real beast of a lens, it delivers the goods for a fraction of what you'd shell out for a "Bigma". Elbow busting heavy but with plenty of reach, this puts you right in the middle of the action without scaring off the critters.
- Tamron SP AF 90 F/2.8 Macro 72E In a word, SHARP. This is an older model but that doesn't matter....the Tamron AF 90 delivers the goods and I for one am one happy camper.
maxeythecat's wish list
Sorted by most recently added.
Added May 29, 2014
Sleek, sexy and $200 cheaper than it's big brother, this is gonna be my next acquisition and this time I ain't dreamin'!
Added Feb 1, 2013
Added Oct 19, 2011
- Sony Alpha A65
- Sony Alpha DSLT A99 Well? I can dream, can't I?
- Sony Apha a77
Have your say
Have Your Say: Best Product of 2016
- Fujifilm X-T223.6%
- Nikon D50025.4%
- Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E8.2%
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F47.5%
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G857.2%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art6.7%
- Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 Art5.1%
- Sony a63006.4%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III3.7%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V6.3%
Total voters: 3,528
Most popular cameras
in time for the holidaysCamera Roundups Updatedshop aroundHoliday Gifts for Every Budget89i wanna fly awayBest Camera Drones Under $1500In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and Videosreal world performanceField Test Videossee how we seeSample Galleries1128action-packedSony a6500 First Impressions187VideoDog Portraits with the Sony a6300What's that Noise?Shedding some light on the sources of noise1293ultimate om-dOlympus E-M1 Mark II Review236wide-angle wonderSigma 12-24mm F4 Art Lens Review78instant gratification2016 Instax mini roundup699new kid on the blockYI M1 review2341FeatureWhat is equivalence?