Perhaps i'll be in the road again today....

Started Oct 13, 2004 | Discussions
Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379
Perhaps i'll be in the road again today....

Hi Everybody

How you probably know, i've been without my Optio 555 since the Disaster in Firenze.... well today i'll receive my repaired camera from Reflecta (the spanish seller of Pentax) ... so wish me luck .. i hope that the broken lens were the only problem with the camera and i could start to take many pictures like before.

Best Regards

 Ernesto Cardenas's gear list:Ernesto Cardenas's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: Perhaps i'll be in the road again today....

Ernesto Cardenas wrote:

Hi Everybody

How you probably know, i've been without my Optio 555 since the
Disaster in Firenze.... well today i'll receive my repaired camera
from Reflecta (the spanish seller of Pentax) ... so wish me luck ..
i hope that the broken lens were the only problem with the camera
and i could start to take many pictures like before.

I very much hope so also, please let us know and show some results. If it makes you feel any better about you descision to repair it, I for one am still very pleased with mine, and still see nothing that I would rush out to get to replace it. The 750 has some good features, but the changover would be costly and not enough to justify it.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
OP Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379
Re: Perhaps i'll be in the road again today....

Hi Brian

Today i received the camera, the lens seems to work fine they expand smother than before.... the functions are ok, no dead pixels in LCD, so there is a hope...

This weekend i'll take more pictures in the center of madrid, i'll try to post as soon as posible... stay tuned.

Ernesto

brianj wrote:

I very much hope so also, please let us know and show some results.
If it makes you feel any better about you descision to repair it, I
for one am still very pleased with mine, and still see nothing that
I would rush out to get to replace it. The 750 has some good
features, but the changover would be costly and not enough to
justify it.

Brian

 Ernesto Cardenas's gear list:Ernesto Cardenas's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
OP Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379
Promised is debt.... samples of my repaired camera

Hi

In this page i've posted the first samples with my repaired optio 555:

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1700

Please note that most of the samples are with the saturation in HIGH mode, i forgot to take other samples in normal mode.

I know... the pictures are ugly, but in this case i ask for your opinion about the technical results of the camera.

Thanks in advance
Ernesto

Ernesto Cardenas wrote:

Hi Brian

This weekend i'll take more pictures in the center of madrid, i'll
try to post as soon as posible... stay tuned.

Ernesto

brianj wrote:

I very much hope so also, please let us know and show some results.

 Ernesto Cardenas's gear list:Ernesto Cardenas's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: Promised is debt.... samples of my repaired camera

It looks like it is working ok, the images are sharp right to the edges. I am still not entirely sure on the default settings.

I am currently using:
Sharpness=NORMAL
Contrast=NORMAL
Saturation=HIGH

I have found that with the bright days here in Australia that I could use NORMAL constrast in winter and maybe LOW in summer. But my camera seems to always need HIGH saturation to be about right.

I think if Pentax had made the defaults for contrast a half level lower and saturation a half level higher then I would not have needed to ever change them.

Looks like you are back in business, remember the wrist strap!

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
killian New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Promised is debt.... samples of my repaired camera

brianj wrote:

It looks like it is working ok, the images are sharp right to the
edges. I am still not entirely sure on the default settings.

I am currently using:
Sharpness=NORMAL
Contrast=NORMAL
Saturation=HIGH

I think if Pentax had made the defaults for contrast a half level
lower and saturation a half level higher then I would not have
needed to ever change them.

Brian

You're absolutly right Brian, the default saturation is not enough and +1 is too much saturated. I always have to correct it with a psp. Technically, do you think it's better to correct from 0 or from +1 ?
Killian

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: Promised is debt.... samples of my repaired camera

killian wrote:

brianj wrote:

It looks like it is working ok, the images are sharp right to the
edges. I am still not entirely sure on the default settings.

I am currently using:
Sharpness=NORMAL
Contrast=NORMAL
Saturation=HIGH

I think if Pentax had made the defaults for contrast a half level
lower and saturation a half level higher then I would not have
needed to ever change them.

Brian

You're absolutly right Brian, the default saturation is not enough
and +1 is too much saturated. I always have to correct it with a
psp. Technically, do you think it's better to correct from 0 or
from +1 ?
Killian

Thats a very good question.

GordonBgood proposes that it is better to default to the underside for all these parameters as you will not blow out or overdrive this value beyond its maximum anywhere in the image. It can then be amplified appropriatly later in software.

I try to minimise post processing work, I would be happy if all images could come from the camera just as I wanted them, but I have never has a camera that can fully achieve this. So my defaults given in this thread are chosen to reduce later work, but as we agree, saturation is midway between two settings.

So I have been using saturation=HIGH, and in summer contrast=LOW and winter Contrast=NORMAL I have found that when cotrast=LOW, the saturation=HIGH is closer to correct.

It will be interesting to hear a more scientific answer to what is the best.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads