Firmware update woth it ?

Started Jun 18, 2001 | Discussions
aa Regular Member • Posts: 409
Firmware update woth it ?

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

Doug D.
Doug D. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,327
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

I just downloaded it. I was hoping it would fix the dates on my pictures (they are showing Feb 1966 even though the clock is set right in the camera), but no such luck. Oh well.......

Doug

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

 Doug D.'s gear list:Doug D.'s gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
sarbos Contributing Member • Posts: 902
heh! I'm wondering just the same...

Hi!

I think I'll wait for a while to check the number of "Oh my! it's frozen!" and to check which other "not told" features the firmware has.

But, I think it must have something hiden, since canon dosen't produces firmwares easily... so there must be a good reason to release the .02.

IMHO,

 sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
Alan Regular Member • Posts: 486
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Unless there turns out to be some wonderful feature that Canon isn't advertising, I don't think I'll take the risk. I hardly ever use the LCD on my Pro90 anyway, apart from reviewing shots.
Alan

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

stu Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Just installed the new firmware and i cannot seem to replicate to problem where the lcd display shows the wrong colours when setting custom white balance, so i presume this problem has been fixed and canon have not announced it, but are there any more?

Stu

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

OP aa Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

stu wrote:

Just installed the new firmware and i cannot seem to replicate to
problem where the lcd display shows the wrong colours when setting
custom white balance, so i presume this problem has been fixed and
canon have not announced it, but are there any more?

Well if this is true then it will certainly be welcome. I hope it's true that there may be more to it than announced. But i don't understand why canon would not announce all the improvements ??

dh

stu Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Check this one out! see if your manual focus is any faster, mine is about three times faster, it shoots up and down the scale a definate improvement.

Stu

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

rockthecat Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Liability maybe. If a problem is acknowledged, it is something that could be a legal hassle. Also if a problem is acknowledged, Canon might be flooded with people seeking to exchange/upgrade their cameras. Either way, it might just be easier to hide a fix under some inconsequential changes.

Deserthawk wrote:

Well if this is true then it will certainly be welcome. I hope it's
true that there may be more to it than announced. But i don't
understand why canon would not announce all the improvements ??

dh

OP aa Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: heh! I'm wondering just the same...

sarbos wrote:

Hi!

I think I'll wait for a while to check the number of "Oh my! it's
frozen!"

Exactly. I think the benefits listed in the update isn't important enough to me that i want to risk the camera freezes up on me.

dh

Garry New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

The manual focus does seem faster after I installed the new update. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it before, so I am not positive that it is faster, but it is pretty fast after the update.

stu wrote:
Check this one out! see if your manual focus is any faster, mine is
about three times faster, it shoots up and down the scale a
definate improvement.

Stu

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,658
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Garry wrote:

The manual focus does seem faster after I installed the new update.
I didn't pay a lot of attention to it before, so I am not positive
that it is faster, but it is pretty fast after the update.

I thought the MF was pretty fast before. It sometimes went faster than I intended--esp. in situations where I was trying to make out, at 2 or 4x, if it was better or not. This one won't really help me, I dont' think.

 Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPad Pro
Dan Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

The only way I will update is if it gets rid of my annoying bright green stuck pixel cluster, and I dought it will do that.

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,561
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

A better question to ask is, with so many things to fix, why would they release this mediocre fix? Doesn't Canon listen?

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

Jonathan Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Assuming that you have a G1 that had firmware 1.0.0.1, the new version provides (officially, at least) only ONE improvement.

"In addition to improvements of the firmware update version 1.0.0.1, the firmware update version 1.0.0.2 eliminates the occasional occurrence of unusual brightness or darkness in the LCD panel display when the shutter button is pressed halfway in the Tv mode."

  • from Canon Powershot page

Is that worth the hassle? I've never even noticed the problem!

jk

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

Ken W. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221
Re: Firmware update woth it ?

Is that worth the hassle? I've never even noticed the problem!

Me neither. I have to say I was excited by the announcement but now am very disappointed. Unless I hear of some significant unofficial changes, I'm going to skip this one.

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,561
A call to action

It is time, that we as collective users of the G1 make it known to Canon that we are extremely disappointed with this insulting firmware update. Take a few minutes out to drop them an email, call them on the phone, or write a letter expressing your disappointment. If enough G1 users do, perhaps they will listen!

Deserthawk wrote:

Seems to be very little new in this firmware update. Is it even
worth the hassle and the risk of something going wrong ?

Dh

Richard Contributing Member • Posts: 924
Re: A call to action

I think I'll hold my breath until I turn blue and pass out. That should teach them...

This upgrade, just like the previous one, can be expected to fix much more than has been claimed openly. They are a company that must maintain "face" and would prefer to provide fixes and enhancements without setting expectations too high (in this regard they are admirable). For reasons we cannot fully understand (internal and/or external) certain departments must be allowed to feel good (in a paternal kind of way) about taking care of their "children." I'm sure that those of you who are upgrading will inform the others what kinds of changes they have noticed.

Well, hear I go with mine-- I'll let you know how it goes...

Richard Contributing Member • Posts: 924
Re: A call to action

The upgrade process took only a few minutes. I uploaded to the CF card in the G1 via USB cable, then proceeded to run the Update Firmware item in the camera's menu. The light next to the viewfinder blinked red, then green, and back again a bunch of time, I assume to show the status of updating each of the individual files in the folder. After 90 seconds or so the camera "rebooted" and ran, displaying "no images." I have yet to discern any differences in function, but I haven't spent lots of time looking yet.

OP aa Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: A call to action

richard wrote:

The upgrade process took only a few minutes. I uploaded to the CF
card in the G1 via USB cable, then proceeded to run the Update
Firmware item in the camera's menu. The light next to the
viewfinder blinked red, then green, and back again a bunch of time,
I assume to show the status of updating each of the individual
files in the folder. After 90 seconds or so the camera "rebooted"
and ran, displaying "no images." I have yet to discern any
differences in function, but I haven't spent lots of time looking
yet.

Thanks. Please keep us posted if you notice anything different.

dh

Paul Berge Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Firmware update from Microdrive?

I have a Pro90 with a 1GB microdrive and I gave away my stock 16MB cf card to one of my friends. Can anyone see any reason not to do the firmware upgrade from the microdrive?? I don't want to take any chances of losing my camera for repair.
Any thoughts??

-Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads