Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

Started Jun 9, 2004 | Discussions
esr2 Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: I prefer canon lenses.......

Nothing new here (in my post), I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and made me feel better about parting with a lot of money for the D70 next week (I'm very excited about getting one)... especially after I looked at the 300d in a weak moment last week (albeit not seriously). I look forward to buying one and joining those of you who exclaim it's quality.

Thanks agian.

-esr

-- hide signature --
CIASpook
CIASpook Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
I agree...

I like to keep things positive. I really don't know the 300D very well. I do prefer it's ZOOM function for image playback, but other than that, it felt "cheap" for me. Then lens was not very inspiring either. For looks and feel, the D70 is for me. I can't compare functionality because I haven't really used the 300D.

Where does that leave me? When I run into people with the 300D, I don't say anything. if they are someone I do know and they didn't have it before, I'll say something like "Congratulations on the new gear" and that's about it. If I run into someone with a D70, I'll likely say, "Hey, great camera!"

Why people feel the need to trash other people's purchases is rediculous. They very petty self-important snobs. I bought a Ford Mustang 4 years ago. Is the best car in the world? No. Is it the best car in it's price range? I dunno, probably not. But damn it, I do happen to like Ford and I LOVE Mustangs. If you're a GM loving Camaro guy, fantastic!

Now, don't get me wrong, I do know and respect the differences between good natured ribbing and being an a$$. A co-worker bought a 300D. I didn't say another other than, "How do you like it?" He's probably taking it back. To get a D70? possible, but he actually wants a Canon 10D. My Boss has a 10D, neither of us have tried to bad mouth the other's camera. What's the point? Who cares what type of brush you're painting with, is the painting any good?!

I've taken more pictures in the 2 months I've owned my D70 than in the 1.5 years I owned my CP5700. I'm pinning up posters and photos on every bit of wall space I can find and I'm getting a lot of compliments. I'll challenge any 300D owner to a shootout to see who takes a better picture. And when the dust settles, I can promise you this. I'll probably lose and it won't be because I have a D70. it'll probably be becaue the other guy is just a better photographer.

I'm rambling now...sorry...carried away...I'll shush

jkbradshaw wrote:

...Steping onto my soapbox

I need to stop reading posts like this -- these internet camera
zealots are can be evn more trying than political or religious
fanatics. Doing research to get the best for your money is one
thing, but trying to inflate your investment and deflate others (to
further inflate yours) is just so blah, blah, blah. If you like
boxers, wear boxers. If you like the tighty whities, then wear
those, but don't spend all your time pulling down other people's
pants so you can see and compare. My guess is that people that get
too into these posts about the D70 vs the DRebel, especially after
they have made their purchase are more interested in collecting the
best technology and bragging to their friends then they are about
making good images.

Go out and shoot, stop whining and fighting.

Really, I'm not that bitter about the whole thing. Informed
consumerism is a pillar of enlightened capitalism, and who doesn't
want that? Perhaps I'm just frustrated that I have a camera capable
of so much more than I currently am able to take full advantage of
-- I have yet to make an image worthy of a 20x30 print. I'll bet
I'm not the only one.

 CIASpook's gear list:CIASpook's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
samjstern
samjstern Veteran Member • Posts: 7,009
Ruggels and your D70

You will love the D70. It is a wonderful tool , as simple as you want or as sophisticated and complex as you are capable of handling.

It is like a woman, learn to tame it and you will be happy.

When you get it you will be amazed.

Sam Stern

esr wrote:

Nothing new here (in my post), I just wanted to thank everyone who
contributed to this thread and made me feel better about parting
with a lot of money for the D70 next week (I'm very excited about
getting one)... especially after I looked at the 300d in a weak
moment last week (albeit not seriously). I look forward to buying
one and joining those of you who exclaim it's quality.

Thanks agian.

-esr

-- hide signature --

Sam Stern

 samjstern's gear list:samjstern's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +15 more
PaulyOly Veteran Member • Posts: 7,723
Re: "please someone impress me"

That's fine, but you would be even less impressed if i were using a d70 with a 80-400vr.

Todd Siegwart wrote:
I have check many of your threads, i'm not impressed.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

I could give a rat's @ss about the camera, but what can i put on
the D70 that will give me 400mm and excellent image quality and
please don't say the sigma 50-500, tried it didn't like it.

Check 80-400VR, at 400mm stopped down a little bit isn't too bad.

I have checked, looked at many pictures taken with that lens on a
d100, i'm not impressed. Please someone impress me.

lawnmower Senior Member • Posts: 1,826
Re: I prefer canon lenses.......

Outside of of wide angle lense, I prefer Canon's lens line up also. Nikon does have a nice line up though. The D70 is a nice camera and I also prefer it so I use Nikon lenses and I like them. Their wides are great. 10.5fisheye and 12-24 DX.

esr wrote:

Nothing new here (in my post), I just wanted to thank everyone who
contributed to this thread and made me feel better about parting
with a lot of money for the D70 next week (I'm very excited about
getting one)... especially after I looked at the 300d in a weak
moment last week (albeit not seriously). I look forward to buying
one and joining those of you who exclaim it's quality.

Thanks agian.

-esr

lawnmower Senior Member • Posts: 1,826
Re: "please someone impress me"

High Pauly, how are ya. No one is trying to impress you Pauly. Enjoy your Canon lenses and I will enjoy my Nikon and my Canon.

PaulyOly Veteran Member • Posts: 7,723
Where is your canon gallery?

peacekeeper wrote:

High Pauly, how are ya. No one is trying to impress you Pauly.
Enjoy your Canon lenses and I will enjoy my Nikon and my Canon.

Or your nikon gallery for that matter, i don't think you own either camera. I agree with you though, if you can't impress me then why bother trying.
--
http://www.pbase.com/paulyoly/root

Frank Vigil Senior Member • Posts: 2,578
For me, the D70, for my Office, 300D

Hey, all:

I'm an old, DPRevier, formerly from over in the Nikon Talk area when I had a 5700. Two weeks ago, I bought a D70 with the kit lens as well as a 70-300 Nikon zoom. I love all of it, though to be honest, the weather has been less than cooperative with me for really testing it out.

Today, my communications department came to me for some advice. They want a "good camera" for shooting typical PR type shots. When I asked how the photos would be used (i.e., web and brochures only) they said that, plus "panel displayes." When I heard that, I realized that larger prints would be the result and I disuaded them from looking at some point and shoot. I honestly think the D70 is overkill for them, if for no other reason than it's a bit too complex for a novice. I got to thinking about the Rebel and perhaps it may meet their needs (along with a good flash, I told them).

I've not used the Rebel, though I've looked at it and was turned off by the plastic body. I know it produces some good quality photos and this is not about "D70 Vs. 300D" so much as it is, can anyone tell me if this is an easy enough camera to use in Auto mode for a novice?

Frank
Whimsy is salvation for a life taken too seriously.
http://www.pbase.com/frankvigil

Todd Siegwart Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: "please someone impress me"

Nice, I like that answer.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:
That's fine, but you would be even less impressed if i were using a
d70 with a 80-400vr.

Todd Siegwart wrote:
I have check many of your threads, i'm not impressed.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

I could give a rat's @ss about the camera, but what can i put on
the D70 that will give me 400mm and excellent image quality and
please don't say the sigma 50-500, tried it didn't like it.

Check 80-400VR, at 400mm stopped down a little bit isn't too bad.

I have checked, looked at many pictures taken with that lens on a
d100, i'm not impressed. Please someone impress me.

Paul.R.Lindqvist
Paul.R.Lindqvist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,536
Cheap

If u want the real deal why not buy a 10D ? laughable how cheap people can be... yea the 300d is packed with feature once u hacks it and lose ur warranty... way to go..

Personally i dont why u ever wanna hack a 300d ? I mean if u want a better camera buy the 10d. i guess some r just cheap.

Oh btw i would not ever trade my d70 for a 10d, and the 300d well i never consider it an option.(to answer ur question lol)

Best
--
Regards
Paul L.

samjstern
samjstern Veteran Member • Posts: 7,009
Re: Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

No disrespect ment,

Ed sell your D70 and buy a Digital rebel.
Then you will "happy" and feel that you did the right thing.

It is only money. The reason that I say this is that in 3 weeks with the 300D you will once again sell it.
BECAUSE you want the D70 back, BECAUSE it is a better photographic instrument.

It is not worth being dissatisfied with the D70. Sell it on Ebay. I know about 3000 guys waiting in line for it.

Take the money buy the 300d, you will have a few bucks left over and we will all sleep better.

PS.
Don't be offended. I do not mean any disrespect.

Sam

-Ed- wrote:

I don't want to get into another heated debate but I was over at
300D forum and I read many "anti D70" comments that attacks many
aspects of the camera especially the "inferior" image quality claim
due to moire and noise. What really bothered me was that no one
was able to defend against those claims. Peacekeeper, Todd, and
Msport had tried but I think they were overpowered by a few
relentless Canonians.

I personally have not experienced such problems. In fact, I am
perfectly happy with D70 and I have printed out a few unbelivable
pictures.

But now, I wonder if I get the best performance / $ ratio
especially now the new firmware hack is available that gives the
camera new features such as ISO 3200 and MLU.

So my question is now if you can return your D70 for a 300D + about
$400 more in your wallet, would you do it?

-- hide signature --

Sam Stern

 samjstern's gear list:samjstern's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +15 more
Steve S Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

Let them go on and on over there. Best defense is a good offense. If they repeat it often enough maybe they'll start believing it. Everyone knows the 300d is a stiff and the D70 can go head to head with the 10D any day.

I have been a Canon user since the FD days and I have lots of EOS stuff and my attitude was that Canon walked on water. Had a couple of digital p/s's and when it was time to go DSLR I bought a DRebel, and gave it back, bought a 10D and gave it back too (lots of reasons, not important here). Waited and pondered and when the D70 came out I went to a store just to look-see. Well, 2 dozen frames and an hour later I took one home with a 24-85G Nikor. That was a month ago, and I'm likin' every frame..

SS

-Ed- wrote:

I don't want to get into another heated debate but I was over at
300D forum and I read many "anti D70" comments that attacks many
aspects of the camera especially the "inferior" image quality claim
due to moire and noise. What really bothered me was that no one
was able to defend against those claims. Peacekeeper, Todd, and
Msport had tried but I think they were overpowered by a few
relentless Canonians.

I personally have not experienced such problems. In fact, I am
perfectly happy with D70 and I have printed out a few unbelivable
pictures.

But now, I wonder if I get the best performance / $ ratio
especially now the new firmware hack is available that gives the
camera new features such as ISO 3200 and MLU.

So my question is now if you can return your D70 for a 300D + about
$400 more in your wallet, would you do it?

-- hide signature --

Steve S.
The one who dies with the most toys wins!

OP -Ed- Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

Sam,

I am not offended and I have no intention to trade D70 for 300D. I was thinking about that possibility of getting the most for the money, and that's about it. Also, it's more difficult to spend $1300 compared to $850, so I guess that prompted me for a second thought. If I were to use my D70 enough, I wouldn't even look back.

I have an awesome experience with this camera and some pictures I took were unbelieveable to my eyes because I never thought that I could produce such a fine image. I still need to learn more about the art of photography and master the instrument. I just hope that I'll get to use it more than I do nowaday.

PaulyOly Veteran Member • Posts: 7,723
10d was $1500usd........

Paul.R.Lindqvist wrote:

If u want the real deal why not buy a 10D ? laughable how cheap
people can be... yea the 300d is packed with feature once u hacks
it and lose ur warranty... way to go..

Personally i dont why u ever wanna hack a 300d ? I mean if u want a
better camera buy the 10d. i guess some r just cheap.

Oh btw i would not ever trade my d70 for a 10d, and the 300d well i
never consider it an option.(to answer ur question lol)

Best
--
Regards
Paul L.

when i bought my rebel back in Sept. of last year, that's a difference of $500usd, so that means my 400 f5.6L lens only cost me $500, that's not cheap, that's smart. I will buy the next 10d or something inbetween the 10d and 1d if such a camera exists at the beginning of next year, not because i want a metal body or pretty black camera, but because my warranty expires in Sept. and i've taken over 24,000 pics with this camera.

Are people from Sweden who buy their D70 in the US considered cheap because they can get the camera cheaper here? I think not.

And unless you work for canon or you are an expert in law and specifically consumers right's when dealing with warranty issues, your statement about losing your warranty when using hacked firmware is merely your opinion. It maybe that cut and dry in Sweden, i dont' know, but here in the US they will probably honor the warranty unless the hacked firmware can be linked to the cause of the problem.
--
http://www.pbase.com/paulyoly/root

CIASpook
CIASpook Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
Impressed?

Perhaps you are not impressed with the photographer rather than the camera. Or are you telling me there are no photographers using a D70 that impress you? If so...well, not much to say. Move along...

PaulyOly wrote:
That's fine, but you would be even less impressed if i were using a
d70 with a 80-400vr.

Todd Siegwart wrote:
I have check many of your threads, i'm not impressed.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

I could give a rat's @ss about the camera, but what can i put on
the D70 that will give me 400mm and excellent image quality and
please don't say the sigma 50-500, tried it didn't like it.

Check 80-400VR, at 400mm stopped down a little bit isn't too bad.

I have checked, looked at many pictures taken with that lens on a
d100, i'm not impressed. Please someone impress me.

 CIASpook's gear list:CIASpook's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
PaulyOly Veteran Member • Posts: 7,723
I'm talking lenses.........

You all seem stuck on cameras. I'm moving on.

CIASpook wrote:
Perhaps you are not impressed with the photographer rather than the
camera. Or are you telling me there are no photographers using a
D70 that impress you? If so...well, not much to say. Move along...

PaulyOly wrote:
That's fine, but you would be even less impressed if i were using a
d70 with a 80-400vr.

Todd Siegwart wrote:
I have check many of your threads, i'm not impressed.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

I could give a rat's @ss about the camera, but what can i put on
the D70 that will give me 400mm and excellent image quality and
please don't say the sigma 50-500, tried it didn't like it.

Check 80-400VR, at 400mm stopped down a little bit isn't too bad.

I have checked, looked at many pictures taken with that lens on a
d100, i'm not impressed. Please someone impress me.

Dave Sherman Contributing Member • Posts: 531
Re: Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

Remember what your Mom told you; 'if you keep scratching it, you'll make it bleed.'

Just keep asking that question and you'll eventually convince yourself that you made a mistake.

-Ed- wrote:

I don't want to get into another heated debate but I was over at
300D forum and I read many "anti D70" comments that attacks many
aspects of the camera especially the "inferior" image quality claim
due to moire and noise. What really bothered me was that no one
was able to defend against those claims. Peacekeeper, Todd, and
Msport had tried but I think they were overpowered by a few
relentless Canonians.

I personally have not experienced such problems. In fact, I am
perfectly happy with D70 and I have printed out a few unbelivable
pictures.

But now, I wonder if I get the best performance / $ ratio
especially now the new firmware hack is available that gives the
camera new features such as ISO 3200 and MLU.

So my question is now if you can return your D70 for a 300D + about
$400 more in your wallet, would you do it?

nunatak Senior Member • Posts: 2,739
I tried to resist, really, but ...

-Ed- wrote:

....
So my question is now if you can return your D70 for a 300D + about
$400 more in your wallet, would you do it?

Ed, just wondering, but do you purchase items based on the self confidence of others or in the confidence you have in yourself? A little bit of both? Are you the type of person who needs to reinforce their self-esteem?

The whole premise seems to me a bit, well, strange. What possible purpose does it serve in knowing what you ask? No offense, but I'm not sure where you were taking this. One camera may be relatively better than another, but there are no standards to judge what scenario is the BEST.

Still-- to your credit--you have reinforced to my mind how much goodwill and bandwidth can be taken up on rhetoric and raw bait. I hope you find the real answers you seek.

the born 2 design
design guy

OP -Ed- Regular Member • Posts: 375
Let's end this thread...

I was just wondering about what people think. Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread at the first place. I still think D70 is a fabulous camera and I am keeping it.

Appreciate all your inputs... I'll be careful of what I ask next time.

xxxxxx Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: I'm talking lenses....LOOK HERE

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=8489822

PaulyOly wrote:
You all seem stuck on cameras. I'm moving on.

CIASpook wrote:
Perhaps you are not impressed with the photographer rather than the
camera. Or are you telling me there are no photographers using a
D70 that impress you? If so...well, not much to say. Move along...

PaulyOly wrote:
That's fine, but you would be even less impressed if i were using a
d70 with a 80-400vr.

Todd Siegwart wrote:
I have check many of your threads, i'm not impressed.

Todd

PaulyOly wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

I could give a rat's @ss about the camera, but what can i put on
the D70 that will give me 400mm and excellent image quality and
please don't say the sigma 50-500, tried it didn't like it.

Check 80-400VR, at 400mm stopped down a little bit isn't too bad.

I have checked, looked at many pictures taken with that lens on a
d100, i'm not impressed. Please someone impress me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads