Crystal Optics, anyone else?

Started May 10, 2004 | Discussions
braver New Member • Posts: 20
Crystal Optics, anyone else?

About Crystal/Vision Optics -- it is the titanium add-on lenses saying hi-res. I got Crystal Optics macro and tele, saying Vision, for my 8080, and they really are strange in operation -- both need full tele zoom to avoid vignetting, tele does just a bit of extra magnification instead of 2x labelled, and macro baffles me as the 8080 does the same macroing without the convertor as with it on full zoom! There's a detachable lens at the bottom of the convertor -- what is it for? I am surprised that they are so useless while apparently of good mechanical and optical quality. They are advertised for camcorders as well, but are they of any use with 8080? How do the original Oly converters compare?

Randy Collins Senior Member • Posts: 2,331
Re: Crystal Optics, anyone else?

braver,

In My Not So Humble Opinion (IMNSHO). Most of the teleconverters on the market today are not worth a franction of what you will pay for them. Most seam to have there origins in the video camera market, where at 30 frames-per-second, image quality just isn't as important.

My first converter that I bought was on eBay (before I found this forum), and I simply waisted my money.

While Crystal Optics may work OK for video and some low end cameras, I've heard enough complaints about the product line that I wouldn't consider them for any still images. Especially with a lens of the caliber that you have on the 8080.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think your going to get the images out of that setup that you are looking for.

-- hide signature --

Randy C.
C-2100 * C-740 * C-5050 * TCON-17
San Antonio, TX

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 27,165
Re: Crystal Optics, anyone else?

braver wrote:

About Crystal/Vision Optics -- it is the titanium add-on lenses
saying hi-res. I got Crystal Optics macro and tele, saying Vision,
for my 8080, and they really are strange in operation -- both
need full tele zoom to avoid vignetting, tele does just a bit of
extra magnification instead of 2x labelled, and macro baffles me as
the 8080 does the same macroing without the convertor as with it on
full zoom! There's a detachable lens at the bottom of the convertor
-- what is it for? I am surprised that they are so useless while
apparently of good mechanical and optical quality. They are
advertised for camcorders as well, but are they of any use with
8080? How do the original Oly converters compare?

IMHO, the main use of Crystal Optics or Titanium lenses is to indicate a shop you should have no further dealings with. I'm sorry, but I've never seen a post saying they were anything but junk. Generally, the Olympus lenses are regarded as high quality, and much higher in price.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads