Selling Hasselblad 500c....

Started Oct 8, 2003 | Discussions
Peter Franzén Forum Member • Posts: 64
Selling Hasselblad 500c....

Hello!

My father decided to sell his 20y old Hasselblad cam with some objectives and film backs to it to.. but i have no idea of how mutch to take for this camera? The thing is that the shutter have locked with an objective in the cam so it´s likte stuck there think that the oil to the shutter have gone old and will not release.. so anyone know how mutch you could take for a camera and some accecories.. everything works fine just the objective that is stuck so..
Im happy to know!:)
Peter

-- hide signature --
Cliff. Johnston Senior Member • Posts: 1,638
Good luck...

Peter,

Good luck.

I was at a camera show last month in Texas. One dealer had a custom case with 5 Hassy bodies (9+ condition), backs, viewers, lenses, etc.. On the last day of the show he had a sign up that he would take any offer by noon of that day. I was really surprised at the lack of interest in them. 10 years ago I would have thought seriously about selling the wife and kid for that outfit. Today - zip.

Cliff.

Peter Franzén wrote:

Hello!
My father decided to sell his 20y old Hasselblad cam with some
objectives and film backs to it to.. but i have no idea of how
mutch to take for this camera? The thing is that the shutter have
locked with an objective in the cam so it´s likte stuck there think
that the oil to the shutter have gone old and will not release.. so
anyone know how mutch you could take for a camera and some
accecories.. everything works fine just the objective that is stuck
so..
Peter

-- hide signature --

Cliff. Johnston

Tim Dolan Contributing Member • Posts: 678
About 1500 at most with lens and back

I have one of the rare hassleblads that is probably still worth anything from the film era. I have a 500 EL/M serial #0002 It is a presentation version of the special edition (with plaque to Neil Armstrong), which the only reason it retains any value.

I tried to get it valued, the best I could do was $1500 for it being a 500 ELM (with lens and back) and maybe another $1500 for presentation and Space program paraphenalia value. That was almost a year ago I got that value. Because of it's history to me, you would have to offer me a lot more then that for me to part with it.

The 500Cs I have seen were usually slightly less, with lens and back included.

The price is probably dropping fast as digital takes over film. I suggest viewing e-bay listings to get a feel for the current value. If selling it, it will be a long time before the value will go up again (like 30-40 years) so sell it fast.

-- hide signature --

Quality is in the setup, Quantity ensures one good shot.

tbosley Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Re: Good luck...

Agreed.

What I have seen here in midwest is that it is hard to find repair shops that can work on the units any more will all the digital and electronics about.

I have always wanted a Hassy, but I would be scared to put to much into one for fear of repair costs.

-- hide signature --

Shutter half-pressed and ready...

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,535
I got a closet full of Hassy gear

Peter Franzén wrote:

Hello!
so..
Peter

-- hide signature --

eBay is clogged with it. I won't sell mine because I used it for years and years. No much demand for MF anymore.

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
TBrander Regular Member • Posts: 116
Just sold mine

Had a 500c with std back and 80mm lens and decided to sell, seemed in good shape to me (although I had not used it for 10+ years, shutters worked and lens could be removed and remounted... I knew it would need new seals though, They just get dry or worn or something (on the back and the mirror base.) so you get light leaks, but a site quoted $75 to do that.

Anyhow not wanting to get into that on Ebay and having no sales experiance i decided to sell at KEH, used their auto quote service, got a better quote (somewhere arround $500) than I got from others by phone, most did not want to quote, said they had too much. So I sent it in, and waited... finally called KEH said they wanted to send back as it was not good enough... I know it was "clean... but any how they offered $125 and some sympathy and I decided It would not be worth getting it back to start over and I certainily was not going to use it... so as a result I did not even get the higher capacity CF card I was Craving for my new D-100!

FWIW!!!

Now I have a Nikonos IV-a... (almost never used) but it doesn't have the light leaks so maybe e-bay is yet in my future!!!!

OP Peter Franzén Forum Member • Posts: 64
Got some answers! :)

I have put it on a website for sale and actuly got a lot of e-mails about it. i put the price at 1000$:- and i also talked with Hasselblad service about a goingthrue with the cam and it would coat about 400$:-

As someone said the digital market it taking over so better sell it while it might still be worh sometinhg

-- hide signature --
Bjoernar Pedersen Regular Member • Posts: 404
Re: Got some answers! :)

Do not forget there are digital backs out there... A Hasselblad with a digital back will blow away any Conon or Nikon model with regard to technical quality. Today these backs are very expensive, but if you already got a medium format SLR, an upgrade to digital might be worth the money. Besides, prices of digital backs will go down little by little, and one day you might regret you got rid of your medium format camera...

Peter Franzén wrote:

I have put it on a website for sale and actuly got a lot of e-mails
about it. i put the price at 1000$:- and i also talked with
Hasselblad service about a goingthrue with the cam and it would
coat about 400$:-
As someone said the digital market it taking over so better sell it
while it might still be worh sometinhg

-- hide signature --

Bjoernar

Re: Got some answers! :)

Hello Bjierbar.

My father said he wanted a digitalback but they are to expensive dont they cost like 25.000$+ ?

Bjoernar Pedersen wrote:
Do not forget there are digital backs out there... A Hasselblad
with a digital back will blow away any Conon or Nikon model with
regard to technical quality. Today these backs are very expensive,
but if you already got a medium format SLR, an upgrade to digital
might be worth the money. Besides, prices of digital backs will go
down little by little, and one day you might regret you got rid of
your medium format camera...

Peter Franzén wrote:

I have put it on a website for sale and actuly got a lot of e-mails
about it. i put the price at 1000$:- and i also talked with
Hasselblad service about a goingthrue with the cam and it would
coat about 400$:-
As someone said the digital market it taking over so better sell it
while it might still be worh sometinhg

-- hide signature --
reinierv Regular Member • Posts: 282
Re: Selling Hasselblad 500c....

What shops tell you and what is fact are two different things.

A few weeks ago I was in a shop while a guy was trying to trade in his Mamiya 645 with lens and back. The sales guy offered him a lousy 150euro for it as he said 'the market is dead' and they would dump all used stuff soon at 'best price'.

Yesterday I was in the same shop and asked when they were going to 'dump' their used stuff. The answer now was 'no plans to do that', as now they claimed there is a growing interest in used stuff. They sold 3 Leica R bodies in the last month, and another Mamyia set that was displayed as well (grrr I wanted that for a dump price ;-)). So they are trying to rip off people, claiming the market is dead while it isn’t, that's for sure.

But what is happening is that people don’t buy their used equipment in the shops anymore, but via the internet. (That’s the way this shop also sells.)

The many responses you got on you post shows many people are still very interested in the film cameras (actually 1000$ is a bargain, you probably had some dealers there as well). And recently a local magazine did a test. They said you have 2000euro's to spend, what do you buy, a used Hassy set or a S2pro set? They made pictures with both and the difference in favor of the hassy (using portra 160NC) was astonishing. Better colors, much more detail and better shadow/white details. There are still a lot of people that value quality over speed and trend

tbosley Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Re: Just sold mine- common Keh trick

TBrander wrote:
[snip]

So I sent it in, and waited... finally called KEH said they wanted to
send back as it was not good enough... I know it was "clean... but
any how they offered $125 and some sympathy and I decided It would
not be worth getting it back to start over

In a crunch I would purchase from Keh, but I will not play the quote game with them to sell.

I once had a near mint Mamiya C330 with several beautiful lenses, prism, and accessories. They offered the world- then pretended it did not work when they got it and offered $450. Yeah right- I sold if all for well over $2000 elsewhere.

I understand they need to make a profit, but cheating is not the way to do it.

-- hide signature --

Shutter half-pressed and ready...

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
Un-jamming Hasselblad lens.

Peter Franzén wrote:

Hello!
so..
Peter

-- hide signature --

Hi Peter,

{ There is a special trick to taking off a stuck Hasselblad lens. If you wish to know what it is, post again, and I will place the information here. }

Good luck, whatever you decide to do about selling it.

Regards,
Baz

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
BobTrips Veteran Member • Posts: 7,848

Went to eBay to take a look at what Hasselbalds were selling for, have sold for. Lost interest after a few minutes (I don't know why one model sells for $190 and another for $1200).

I did get a chuckle from noticing that at the bottom of each 'blad page was an eBay ad for digital cameras.

-- hide signature --

bob
Latest offering - 'Two Hours in Delhi'
http://www.pbase.com/bobtrips
Shots from a bunch of places (esp. SEA and Nepal).
Pictures for friends, not necessarily my best.

http://www.trekearth.com/members/BobTrips/photos/
My better 'attempts'.

Thank you all for yuour comments, so the price even if it needs maby a going thrugh 1000$ is pritty cheap? or am i in the right price group when also the fee for a service is 400$:-?

Barrie Davis plz let me know whould be great to get the thing out of there! plz let me know!

Peter

Barrie Davis
How to un-jam Hasselblad lens.

Hi Peter,

{ There is a special trick to taking off a stuck Hasselblad lens.
If you wish to know what it is, post again, and I will place the
information here. }

Ok, Peter. Here goes. But be warned, please. The operation is tricky to do, and needs VERY CAREFUL work with a screw driver. If you have an accident, you could damage the glass of the lens with the point of the screwdriver.

AT YOUR OWN RISK !!! OK?

Hasselblad lenses and camera bodies can only fitted together, and separated again, when BOTH are in a "cocked" ("wound-on") condition. This is because of the sophisticated INTERLOCK which is needed with lenses that have between lens type shutters.

The jamming of the lens, which you describe, is mostly likely caused by the lens and camera body becoming "de-interlocked". The camera is "wound-on", but the lens has already "fired".

This can sometimes happen if the lens is mounted too s-l-o-w-l-y! The lens shutter fires itself a tiny moment before it is fully 'home' and locked. Because the camera is wound, it cannot be wound a second time, and because the lens shutter is 'fired', and therefore closed and waiting to be wound, you cannot see through it.

Result. Total jam-up. The camera will not wind and the lens WILL NOT come off.

Is that consistant with what you see and feel?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

If that IS the condition you have, you need to re-cock the lens somehow, to release it. Hasselblad made provision, and this is what you do.......

Take off the film back. It will only come off when the film sheath is in. Fully in!

Behind the film back is a secondary shutter, with a horizontal divide. Press lightly on the shutter blades, and they should swing out of the way against slight spring pressure. Bottom one folds down, top one up. Whilst holding them, look inside the camera with a bright light.

At the bottom of the camera chamber you should see a square section CROSS-MEMBER, positioned under the lens, and running from side to side.
It is black, and fluted with grooves, and has a SCREW visible in the middle.

It is THAT screw we need to re-cock the lens from inside the camera, an operation which can NOW be done without using the camera winding knob.

Here I must state that there are TWO possibilities with regard to the screw.

a) On older Hasselblads the screw you see secures a little cover (the black cross-member itself) and that's ALL it does. The screw must be undone, releasing the cover. Drop the screw and cover out of the camera. (Don't lose the screw.)

The screw we really need is the one UNDERNEATH the cover! It should now be in veiw.

b) On newer Hasselblads the screw you see is the actual cocking screw we seek. It was updated to be long enough to pass right THROUGH the cover, which, therefore doesn't need to be taken off!

OK. Now it is decision time.

That screw needs to be turned, if I remember correctly it is in a counter-clockwise direction, but you can test by giving it a little twist in both directions. It will not move at all in the wrong direction.

However, before you decide to apply your screwdriver and GO for it, please note that it is easy to slip off the screw with the driver and to damage the glass of the lens, which is dangerously close.

So, be aware:-

1) The screw is slot headed, and not crosspoint. It's easy to slip out of the screw. (Only Hasselblad knows why it isn't a cross-headed screw!!)

2) The screw must be turned against spring pressure. (you are winding the lens shutter mechanism from inside the camera) It's easy to start with, but gets stronger and HARDER the more you turn.

3) The screw needs to be turned until it LATCHES positively. The amount of rotation is nearly a whole turn, which is more than can be done easily, without taking a second 'grab' at the screwdriver. That vital moment of latching, when the strain comes off the screwdriver, can seem a long time coming, believe me!

It is at the 'second grab' that the danger is greatest. Whilst you are shifting your grip, the spring can spin the driver backwards and fling it out of the slot --- and onto the lens.

AHGGGGG!!!!!! Don't let this happen to you!

Possible precautions..........

Press a really large, really thick, blob of Blu-tack over the rear element of the lens as protecton. Make sure it is really stuck. Press it on with a blunt stick at the edges. Blu-Tack will not harm the lens surface.

Choose a screw driver which is a very good fit to the screw, and is fairly long. Long screwdrivers are much are easier to keep straight.

Use tape, or more Blu-Tack, to hold the rear shutter doors out of the way so that you can see properly.

Do the whole operation on a firm surface -- nothing slippery.

OK. When the magic moment comes, and the internal lens cocking screw latches the lens into a cocked condition, off will come the lens in the usual way.

Cycle the body a couple of times to get everything moving. Then put it back together and you are done.

Good Luck,
Baz

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Re: How to un-jam Hasselblad lens.

Wow dude!
Ill get right on it as soon as i can!

Thats the best and deepest explenation i ever seen thank you big time for that!!

Barrie Davis

Peter Franzén wrote:

Wow dude!
Ill get right on it as soon as i can!
Thats the best and deepest explenation i ever seen thank you
big time for that!!

-- hide signature --

You are welcome.

Mind you --- didn't think I would be telling a Swede anything about Hasselblad !!

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Baz

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
mjones41
mjones41 New Member • Posts: 12

you saved me big time, thank you

mjones41's gear list:mjones41's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M5 II
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Barrie...

mjones41 wrote:

you saved me big time, thank you

Barrie has helped many of us over the years, but I'm not sure what happened to him. He hasn't posted in several years, I don't think.

Does anybody know what happened to Barrie?

Wayne

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,358
Re: Barrie...

This thread may have the answer but I don't know for sure.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3575667#forum-post-52516366

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads