555 in Spain..... later octuber... earlier November

Started Sep 18, 2003 | Discussions
Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379
555 in Spain..... later octuber... earlier November

Hi This is my first post

Today i contacted with a Internet reseller, and they told me that it was the range when that camera will be available. They have nice prices, but i'm afraid about how much there will it cost, because in some places i've seen the 555 at 720 € and more!!!!

This will be my first digital camera, until now i've been using a small konica z-up 90! Very nice a very accurately camera, but i'm so obsesed with taking pictures (like a japanese tourist) so soon i'll don have space in my house to put all the pictures....

Well.. enough about, since i've seen the reviews i fell interested in the 550, but when read the issues about noise at high ISOs i doubt... My options are:
Wait for the 555, someone can confirm if that model solves the noise issues?

Look for another similar camera, the problem is that there isn't any model that have both: 5MP an 5 optical zoom at that price range.

In a review at: http://www.marksdigitalcameras.com/pentax_optio_555.html you can see this:" Noise reduction function

For longer exposures, the Optio555 automatically activates a function for reduced interference. "

This a NEW feature in the 555 or is only marketing since the 550 already has it (or is it?).

Thanks again and excuse if my english isn't enough good.
Ernesto

Ernesto Cardenas's gear list:Ernesto Cardenas's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
tapaninyc Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: 555 in Spain..... later octuber... earlier November

in some places i've seen the 555 at 720 € and more!!!!

720 Eur = US$ 800!!

I'd expect the street price in NY to be about $500 soon. Maybe you should take trip to New York

I know there are some stores (B&H and many more) that ship internationally. If that is an option, check what the real cost will add up to (shipping, you also may have to pay duty in your country).

BTW. check out the prices for asseccories - SD cards etc. They sell for about 3 times the US price in the parts of europe I've been to!!!
so... If any of you is coming over, don't forget to shop.

OP Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379

tapaninyc wrote:

in some places i've seen the 555 at 720 € and more!!!!

720 Eur = US$ 800!!

Yep, very expensive.

I'd expect the street price in NY to be about $500 soon. Maybe you
should take trip to New York

I'll ask if some of my friends is going to travel to USA before november, because i hope to use it in my travel to Paris,i'm looking for international stores as well

I guess that i'll see the 555 in the next weeks, look the answer that i've received from the Pentax representative in Spain:

Buenas,

Dicho modelo empezará a comercializarse en el SONIMAG ( http://www.sonimag.com ) feria de Imagen
de BCN del 1 al 5 de octubre. En cuanto a los problemas de ruidos hay que
tener en cuenta que se trata de una evolución con lo cual el modelo habrá
resuelto todos los problemas existentes.
Atentamente,
REFLECTA S.A.

I'f you don't understand spanish:

• The cameras will be available in that Fair.

• The noise problemas there will be resolved because this model is an evolution.

Fortunately i'm going to Barcelona in that days so i have a good reason to go to SONIMAG.

Any another camera that i have to review??? Perhaps i don't buy my camera in SONIMAG, but i'm sure that i'll have a better decission.

BTW. check out the prices for asseccories - SD cards etc.

Yeah very important issue.

Best Regards
Ernesto

Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
GordonBGood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,312

Ernesto Cardenas wrote:

In a review
at: http://www.marksdigitalcameras.com/pentax_optio_555.html you
can see this:" Noise reduction function
For longer exposures, the Optio555 automatically activates a
function for reduced interference. "

This a NEW feature in the 555 or is only marketing since the 550
already has it (or is it?).

Sorry, Ernesto, this is another instance of re-marketing something that almost all cameras with longer time exposures already have, including the Optio 550. It's a feature called Dark Frame Subraction that is used for time exposures above 1 second where one image is taken as usual and one is taken without opening the shutter, then the second is subtracted from the first to remove hot pixel.

It has little to do with the high ISO noise which isn't hot pixel noise, but related to the variability of the output of the sensor. This is not to say that the Optio 555 does not have a lower high ISO noise specification, just we don't know for sure yet (although we keep hoping), and Pentax isn't saying.

Regards, GordonBGood

GordonBGood wrote:

Ernesto Cardenas wrote:

In a review
at: http://www.marksdigitalcameras.com/pentax_optio_555.html you
can see this:" Noise reduction function

Sorry, Ernesto, this is another instance of re-marketing something
that almost all cameras with longer time exposures already have,
including the Optio 550.

I was thinking about that, but i need to confirm it.

It's a feature called Dark Frame

Thanks for your valuable comments Gordon.

This is not to say that the Optio 555 does not have a lower high
ISO noise specification, just we don't know for sure yet (although
we keep hoping), and Pentax isn't saying.

Well the spanish representative told me (you can see it in my another post) that the issues will be corrected in the 555, but i hope to confirm it in Barcelona, where i expect to try with the 555 or at least ask for a lot of samples....

Another question: do you know what are the most realiable (and price convenient) Internet stores for digital cameras? Which ones sells overseas?.

Best Regards
Ernesto

tapaninyc Contributing Member • Posts: 903

Another question: do you know what are the most realiable (and
price convenient) Internet stores for digital cameras? Which ones
sells overseas?.

According to my experience, the best, reliable and consistently low price (equipment & accessories) store in NYC is jandr.com. Unfortunately they don't ship abroad.

One store that does, also with good reputation, slightly more expensive is http://www.bhphotovideo.com (o-550 $499)

I have heard good things about
http://www.willoughbys.com

but I have no personal experience with them. (O-550 $499, O-450 $412). Willoughby's does ship overseas.

You won't be paying any sales tax when ordering, but you probably will have to pay duties in your country. Check out how much that would be to estimate the total cost for you.

I don't know how the European Union works as far as duties are concerned, but you may want to check if you can order from andother EU country and get better price that way.

I checked amazon.co.uk - price for 550 is 369.99 Pounds = 532 Euro. Not cheap, but beats 800 Euros.

tapaninyc wrote:

Another question: do you know what are the most realiable (and
price convenient) Internet stores for digital cameras? Which ones
sells overseas?.

According to my experience, the best, reliable and consistently low
price (equipment & accessories) store in NYC is jandr.com.
Unfortunately they don't ship abroad.

I'll look these sites, thank you.

You won't be paying any sales tax when ordering, but you probably
will have to pay duties in your country. Check out how much that
would be to estimate the total cost for you.

I don't know about that

I don't know how the European Union works as far as duties are
concerned, but you may want to check if you can order from andother
EU country and get better price that way.

There are stores located in France, but when they sell to Spain they apply the spanish's taxes (called IVA), look in: http://www.pixmania.com and http://www.nomatica.com , i'm not sure if http://www.optize.es will sell the 555 but at least its price for the 550 is 710 Euros!!! More expensive that El Corte Ingles (one of the most famous chain in Spain).

I checked amazon.co.uk - price for 550 is 369.99 Pounds = 532 Euro.
Not cheap, but beats 800 Euros.

I'll have to decide the better way there is a lots of difference in the price between stores.

Thanks again
Ernesto

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads