Hot pixel mapping for the C-2100 UZ works!

Started Sep 5, 2003 | Discussions
corhoin New Member • Posts: 16
Hot pixel mapping for the C-2100 UZ works!

Here's my story.

For some time I had struggled with the bright hot pixel groups that my nice C-2100 UZ decided to develop just a few months after the warranty period had expired. Of course the camera's internal hot pixel table could be fixed (remapped) in an authorized service shop, but not for free, no way. I was obviously about to loose some hard-earned money to get this hot pixel problem fixed. Probably not for the last time either, I knew, if I was to keep this camera for some years.

After crawling the Web back and forth I saw some links to a small "hot pixel calibration" program made for Nikons by a Russian hobbyist. Supposedly this program commanded the camera to start its internal pixel remapping routine (that is already available for users in some newer cameras). Unfortunately my camera was an Oly, so no help here either, I thought.

Some other links had discussions about the fact that many digital cameras seemingly use a chipset and firmware made by Sierra Imaging, including Nikon, Olympus and probably many others as well. I got interested in this issue and I asked this Russian guy for his opinion. After a couple of emails I decided to give his program a try, and connected the camera to the COM port of my PC.

The program could read only the first 16 hot pixels from the camera, although the UZI probably has as many as 512 locations reserved for them. This is the case with some Nikons also (for what reason, we don't know), but at least my UZI could communicate with the program to some extent. Even the Olympus' firmware version numbering was very similar to the one Nikons report, so after another email I was convinced enough to try the second step (remapping) at my own risk. I let the camera warm up for 15 minutes and inserted a set of fresh batteries into it. Then I took a deep breath and prepared to repair my camera with this utility - or send it directly to hell! Well, actually nothing exciting happened, the camera clicked a couple of times during a one-minute period or so, and then it was all over. The program only reported 512 hot (or hottest) pixels succesfully mapped into the camera's memory.

After a power on-off-on cycle I took a "black" test picture (4 seconds, ISO100), and gone were the Bright Big Stars that had plagued my pictures lately. The DeadPixelTest utility reported now only 18 hot pixels with a long-exposure picture (16 seconds), whereas the previous figure was over 1800! This was undoubtedly a Victory.

This is just a report of one (the first?) successful DIY hot pixel remapping done on an Olympus C-2100 UZ. Please don't do this at home unless you know exactly what you are doing and why. Well, so much for the disclaimers, we Finns don't like them anyway.

I promised to buy this Russian programmer a beer if he ever visits Helsinki. He absolutely deserves that a million times more than the greedy service shops that charge horrible amounts of Euros/$$$ insert-your-currency-here for a simple five-minute job...

For anyone interested, the utility can be found at:
http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

There's hope. There's always hope.

Cheers,

Vesa
--
Vesa T. Korhonen
Corhoin Wizardonik Customworks, Finland

James C. Whiteside III Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Good News, but I have a ???

Thats good to hear, I know one of my older UZI was giveing me the same problem before I had a new sensor put in. But once this warrenty runs out it will be my baby, and that looks like an effective way to get a few extra quality photos out of the UZI.

So when you map the pixels, what exactuly does it do? Does it actually make it a working pixel again, or does it just make it a muted color like gray or black?
--
Olympus C-2100 - C-700 & Fuji S602
Canon TL-55(1.4X),B-300,TCON-14, A-200, C-180,
C-210, Tiffen .7X WA, & Adorama 2X Teleconverter
If they make it, I STACK-IT
Dreaming about a MORE POWER

Brian Steele Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: Hot pixel mapping for the C-2100 UZ works!

corhoin wrote:

Here's my story.

[snip]

This is just a report of one (the first?) successful DIY hot pixel
remapping done on an Olympus C-2100 UZ. Please don't do this at
home unless you know exactly what you are doing and why. Well, so
much for the disclaimers, we Finns don't like them anyway.

This is great news! It's a pity that I don't have a serial i/f cable for my Uzi. Where did you get yours? I've got a serial cable for my Kodak, but the Uzi's connector is a bit smaller than the usual serial mini-jack size.
--
Brian Steele
http://www.usefilm.com/browse.php?mode=port&data=708

Brian Steele's gear list:Brian Steele's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Inigo Montoya Forum Pro • Posts: 13,577

Brian Steele wrote:

This is great news! It's a pity that I don't have a serial i/f
cable for my Uzi. Where did you get yours? I've got a serial cable
for my Kodak, but the Uzi's connector is a bit smaller than the
usual serial mini-jack size.

My Uzi shipped with a serial cable in the box.
(see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/page4.asp )

Did you get yours new?

Keith Hatfull
Keith Hatfull Contributing Member • Posts: 544

Brian Steele wrote:

corhoin wrote:

Here's my story.

[snip]

Olympus part #200531...can find it about anywhere.

-Keith

Keith Hatfull

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Brian Steele wrote:

Did you get yours new?

The included accessories are evidently different in different countries. Phil shows an internationsl blue box there that includes a serial cable. My US red box doesn't have one included, nor listed on the side of the box either. I think they traded the serial cable for the batteries and charger in the US version?

-Keith

Jim T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,288
Serial port or USB?

Thanks for the link. The site seems to say the C2100 connects with the USB cable. Is this correct?

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +12 more

Keith Hatfull wrote:

...except in Grenada, West Indiies :-(.

Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
OP corhoin New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Good News, but I have a ???

James C. Whiteside III wrote:

Thats good to hear, I know one of my older UZI was giveing me the
same problem before I had a new sensor put in. But once this
warrenty runs out it will be my baby, and that looks like an
effective way to get a few extra quality photos out of the UZI.

A new sensor is the way to go if there are too many (more than 512) overly sensitive pixels in the CCD so that they can't be mapped out. Probably they noticed that the mapping failed in your case, resulting in visible hot spots even after the calibration.

So when you map the pixels, what exactuly does it do? Does it
actually make it a working pixel again, or does it just make it a

a muted color like gray or black?

Every camera probably has these "mapped" pixels, but they won't show in a picture in any way - they are mathematically interpolated from the nearby pixels by the camera itself. The brightest ones may be visible in the screen when targeting, but they are removed from the image data before saving. Many new Olympus cameras already have this function available in their menus so the user can do the procedure him/herself without any PC. This same function is built in the UZI as well (and probably every other camera), but you can only activate it with this utility.

If you have a really defective CCD with hundreds of mapped adjacent hot pixels in a large group, this might result as a very small unsharp or blurred area in every picture you take. A bit like the small blind spot in your eye's retina, you won't notice it but you can't see any details in that exact location as there are no "pixels" to detect light. Effectively this spot is also mapped out by the brain. However, this is unlikely in a camera unless you deliberately destroy the CCD by taking unfiltered long-exposure photos of the sun or other extremely bright objects.

Cheers,

Vesa
--

USB for the C-2100 UZ in XP

Brian Steele wrote:

corhoin wrote:

Here's my story.

You can also try your USB cable. I'd guess that you can get it to work in Windows XP - at least if the camera shows up as a removable drive in My Computer. Normally the computer may not see this camera model as a removable drive, but for XP there's a trick that supposedly works. I have Win98 and 2000 in my PC, so I haven't been able to use USB for any other software but Camedia. That's why I used the serial cable for this pixel remapping trick.

My serial cable came with the camera, but you can also buy it from the Oly retailer or any other shop that advertises it in the Web. Very easy to find with Google or other search engines.

Here's the trick for Windows XP, but actually I haven't tested it myself. I found it from the Usenet, so it's not written by me.

After Searching, searching and searching I have Michel Gallois from fr.rec.photo.numerique to thank for the solution to the "My Olympus Camera Doesn't work on Windows XP". After these changes your camera will work with the Wizards and you can drag and drop the images off the camera as if it were a disk drive (Shows up in My Computer as "Olympus Digital Camera". This worked for my C-3030Z, It should also work for these models: D360L, D400Z, D450Z, D460Z, D490Z, C2000Z, C2020Z, C211Z, C2500L, C3000Z, C3030Z, C2100 based the information in Microsoft Knowledge base articles.

Q281090 - Olympus Digital Cameras Require Olympus Camedia Utility Software
Q293168 - Digital Cameras That Are Supported by WIA in Windows XP

Unfortunately Microsoft had to drop native support for Olympus in Windows

XP. Legal issues, was the official answer I got. I'm afraid Olympus doesn't want Microsoft to get our life easier. Anyway. I found the way to make it work.

You have to edit the file:

c:\windows\inf\srusbusd.inf

You'll have to remove two semicolons.

The section:
[Manufacturer]
;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
remove this semicolon=> ;%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

Must become:
[Manufacturer]
;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

and

The section:
[ModelsOlympus]
remove this semicolon=> ;%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus,
USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100

Must become:
[ModelsOlympus]
%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus, USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100

After this, if you have already the Olympus C-2100 in your Device Manager,

uninstall it and run again the new hardware wizard. Let Windows XP find the correct driver. Windows will attempt to frighten you with a catastrophe prophecy. Just ignore it and go on (it works perfectly). You're done. Now your Windows XP will see your Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom without any additional software.

Cheers,

Vesa
--

Keith Hatfull

Brian Steele wrote:

Keith Hatfull wrote:

It's listed at the Olympus Emporium...contact me privately Brian if you really can't find one, and really can't get one. Maybe we can work something out.

-Keith
keith@hatfull.net

Inigo Montoya Forum Pro • Posts: 13,577
Oops....

I thought I got a serial cable with mine, and used Phil's review page to check, but it looks like you're right. I just checked my box and there isn't one in there. When the time comes to try some pixel mapping, I do have a cable from my D400z to try with.

Keith Hatfull wrote:

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Brian Steele wrote:

Did you get yours new?

The included accessories are evidently different in different
countries. Phil shows an internationsl blue box there that
includes a serial cable. My US red box doesn't have one included,
nor listed on the side of the box either. I think they traded the
serial cable for the batteries and charger in the US version?

-Keith

Brian Steele wrote:

Keith Hatfull wrote:

Supposing you know how to use a soldering iron, you can make your own cable if you can get a 2.5 mm stereo plug, a female DB9 connector and a cable with three wires from any electronics shop. The wiring instructions can be found from the link:

http://www.lightner.net/lightner/bruce/Olympus_D400A_Cable.html

Cheers,

Vesa
--
http://www.iki.fi/corhoin

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,551
Serial cable

I wonder if the the serial cable from Heidi's D-490 will work on our UZI's.

Hopefully we won't need to find out for a while since we had Olympus fix our hot pixels earlier this year. If we get more hot pixels before the 6-month post-repair warranty runs out, we'll probably send them to Olympus again.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
When to Return (nt)

Eric Carlson wrote:

I wonder if the the serial cable from Heidi's D-490 will work on
our UZI's.
Hopefully we won't need to find out for a while since we had
Olympus fix our hot pixels earlier this year. If we get more hot
pixels before the 6-month post-repair warranty runs out, we'll
probably send them to Olympus again.

-- hide signature --

Eric,

At what point did you decide to return the camera to get the hot pixels mapped out ?. And, how did you test (lens cap on for how long)?

Thanks,
Bob Schoner

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,551
Re: When to Return

Near the end of each camera's warranty period we each sent each camera in to get the hot pixels fixed.

I did test the cameras at 16.sec with the lens cap on for reference, but it wasn't necessary, since we could each see hot pixels in dark parts of ordinary photos with our cameras, so it was very obvious that they needed to be fixed.

We waited till the warranties were almost up so we would get another 6 months, in case any more hot pixels showed up, and it was a good thing, because I have had to send mine in twice so far.

If you have the Olympus 3-year (total) extended warranty, then send it in any time hot pixels are affecting your photos.

At what point did you decide to return the camera to get the hot
pixels mapped out ?. And, how did you test (lens cap on for how
long)?

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: When to Return

Eric Carlson wrote:

We waited till the warranties were almost up so we would get
another 6 months, in case any more hot pixels showed up, and it was
a good thing, because I have had to send mine in twice so far.

If you have the Olympus 3-year (total) extended warranty, then send
it in any time hot pixels are affecting your photos.

Eric,

I purchased the two year extended warranty on a refurb so I got 27 months and have about 22 months to go. I understand I get one check up/cleaning with the warranty so I am going to wait til near the end for that. So far I have about 6 hot pixels that show up in short night shots but Hot Pixekl Killer takes care of that. Long exposures are another story but I'm not doing much there.

I'm curious about your mention of another 6 months on the warranty. If you have a defect does Olympus extend the warranty for 6 months after the defect is fixed? Is it a complete extension or just for the defect that they fixed? I wonder how long you can keep that going?

Bob

Re: USB for the C-2100 UZ in XP

corhoin wrote:
[snip]

After this, if you have already the Olympus C-2100 in your Device
Manager,
uninstall it and run again the new hardware wizard. Let Windows XP
find the correct driver. Windows will attempt to frighten you with
a catastrophe prophecy. Just ignore it and go on (it works
perfectly). You're done. Now your Windows XP will see your Olympus
C-2100 Ultra Zoom without any additional software.

That trick works, but it doesn't make the Uzi look like a removable drive. It makes it look like an imaging device, and it appears under the "Scanners and Cameras" section in "My Computer". The instructions miss out one important thing - if you've got the driver already loaded, remove it under "Device Manager", then reinstall USING THE WINDOWS XP driver (it should be the last option on the list). Not the Olympus-supplied driver. If you reinstall the Olympus driver (from the Olympus CD), the camera won't appear as an imaging device.

Note, once you apply the tweak, you can no longer use Camedia Master to retrieve pictures from the camera.

In any case, it didn't work - the pixel-mapping program still didn't recognize the Uzi on the USB interface. Probably because it's not really recognized as a "mass storage device" under Windows XP, whether or not you do the tweak.

HOLLAND STJOHN Forum Member • Posts: 78

I just tried the same thing and got the same result, XP recognizes the camera, but not as a removable disc, no drive letter. The pixel remapping utility won't connect with the camera. I'll try tomorrow on another computer with win 98 and serial cable.

My E100RS shows up as a removable disk and the pixel remapping program reports "0 dead pixels"... but it has a few obvious hot pixels on 16 sec exposure and the dead pixel test reports 10 hot pixels on a 16 sec exposure. I didn't try remapping, I was afraid to on my E100RS.

Brian Steele wrote:

In any case, it didn't work - the pixel-mapping program still
didn't recognize the Uzi on the USB interface. Probably because
it's not really recognized as a "mass storage device" under Windows
XP, whether or not you do the tweak.

-- hide signature --

Holland
C21oo(2 UZIs, just in case...), B3oo, E1ooRS, FL-4o

HOLLAND STJOHN wrote:

I just tried the same thing and got the same result, XP recognizes
the camera, but not as a removable disc, no drive letter. The pixel
remapping utility won't connect with the camera. I'll try tomorrow
on another computer with win 98 and serial cable.

Another successful remapping was just reported in Finland. This guy used Windows XP and a serial cable, and everything was said to work a bit smoother than in my case. I use Windows 2000, as on Win98 I can't get it to work at all.

My E100RS shows up as a removable disk and the pixel remapping
program reports "0 dead pixels"... but it has a few obvious hot
pixels on 16 sec exposure and the dead pixel test reports 10 hot
pixels on a 16 sec exposure. I didn't try remapping, I was afraid
to on my E100RS.

This has also happened to me a couple of times - the program can't always read the faulty pixel table and thus the result is 0 dead pixels. However, if I do the reading again, I get the 16 first ones on my screen.

This same "redo" approach seemingly applies to the remapping function as well. If the remapping results in an error message (timeout or something) I just do it again until the camera does its calibration.

If your camera reports its model and firmware version like this when executing the program, it also might be able to start its internal remapping function:

SR95A
FIRMWARE: v352p-73
S/N: #00000001

But so far nobody knows for sure. Or those who know have most likely signed an NDA...

Cheers,

Vesa
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads