10x optical zoom for 4/3 Olympus (28-280)

Started Jun 3, 2003 | Discussions
brian Senior Member • Posts: 1,211
10x optical zoom for 4/3 Olympus (28-280)

I don't read this group too often, so forgive me if this is common knowledge. I just discovered a fairly recent Olympus patent the other day for a 14-140 zoom for the new 4/3 format. Aperture is ~ f/3.5 - f/4.5, 35mm equivalent is approx. 28-280mm, and it appears to be a legitimate "ED" design with fluor crowns located where they might actually do some good. The patent number is U.S. 6,483,648.
--
J. Brian Caldwell
http://www.caldwellphotographic.com

digital_ray_of_light Veteran Member • Posts: 5,068
Interesting!

I looked it up on th net, using: http://patft.uspto.gov/

It has a date of Nov 02 - in the text, it goes back to 1999.

I'm not an expert on patents or lens design, so I cannot comment any further.

Lens experts please jump in!

First sentence from the Abstract:

The invention relates to a compact zoom lens system which can be applied to a relatively large image pickup device and can maintain sufficient image-formation capability even at a wide-angle end of 70.degree. or greater and a zoom ratio of about 10 or greater.

brian wrote:

I don't read this group too often, so forgive me if this is common
knowledge. I just discovered a fairly recent Olympus patent the
other day for a 14-140 zoom for the new 4/3 format. Aperture is ~
f/3.5 - f/4.5, 35mm equivalent is approx. 28-280mm, and it appears
to be a legitimate "ED" design with fluor crowns located where they
might actually do some good. The patent number is U.S. 6,483,648.
--
J. Brian Caldwell
http://www.caldwellphotographic.com

digital_ray_of_light Veteran Member • Posts: 5,068
Rangerfnder? (another one)

Patent: 6,556,785, with a date of April 29, 2003

First sentence of Abstract:

In an apparatus comprising a zoom lens and an electric flash, a range finder that determines, on the basis of an output result obtained by means of one method out of an active AF and a passive AF, whether or not to operate the other method, is utilized.

brian wrote:

I don't read this group too often, so forgive me if this is common
knowledge. I just discovered a fairly recent Olympus patent the
other day for a 14-140 zoom for the new 4/3 format. Aperture is ~
f/3.5 - f/4.5, 35mm equivalent is approx. 28-280mm, and it appears
to be a legitimate "ED" design with fluor crowns located where they
might actually do some good. The patent number is U.S. 6,483,648.
--
J. Brian Caldwell
http://www.caldwellphotographic.com

Jorgen Bergfors Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: Interesting!

digital_ray_of_light wrote:

Lens experts please jump in!

Joseph, where are you?

Jorgen

Jorgen Bergfors Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: Rangerfnder? (another one)

digital_ray_of_light wrote:

In an apparatus comprising a zoom lens and an electric flash, a
range finder that determines, on the basis of an output result
obtained by means of one method out of an active AF and a passive
AF, whether or not to operate the other method, is utilized.

Hmmm.. maybe this is an alternate AF system that kicks in at low light levels? By firing a pre-flash? Sounds interesting.

Jorgen

OP brian Senior Member • Posts: 1,211
Some design analysis

There are 17 design examples, and they all seem pretty average in terms of performance. In particular, lateral color is a problem, and there is also heavy wavy-line distortion at the wide end. It may be that Olympus has not published the best mode of the invention (a dangerous practice IMO), or another possibility is that the new 4/3 camera will automatically eliminate lateral color and distortion by in-camera processing using a method similar to this: http://www.caldwellphotographic.com/TutorialsDistortionAndColorFringing.html

The size of the lens seems pretty reasonable: 5" front-vertex-to-image-plane distance at the wide end, and a 60mm diameter front element.

Brian
http://www.caldwellphotographic.com

digital_ray_of_light wrote:
I looked it up on th net, using: http://patft.uspto.gov/

It has a date of Nov 02 - in the text, it goes back to 1999.

I'm not an expert on patents or lens design, so I cannot comment
any further.

Lens experts please jump in!

First sentence from the Abstract:
The invention relates to a compact zoom lens system which can be
applied to a relatively large image pickup device and can maintain
sufficient image-formation capability even at a wide-angle end of
70.degree. or greater and a zoom ratio of about 10 or greater.

brian wrote:

I don't read this group too often, so forgive me if this is common
knowledge. I just discovered a fairly recent Olympus patent the
other day for a 14-140 zoom for the new 4/3 format. Aperture is ~
f/3.5 - f/4.5, 35mm equivalent is approx. 28-280mm, and it appears
to be a legitimate "ED" design with fluor crowns located where they
might actually do some good. The patent number is U.S. 6,483,648.
--
J. Brian Caldwell
http://www.caldwellphotographic.com

-- hide signature --
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,391
Re: Interesting!

Jorgen Bergfors wrote:

digital_ray_of_light wrote:

Lens experts please jump in!

Joseph, where are you?

Sick as a dog, been totally drained for about a week.

And I've got an interesting project going right now.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=5199923

-- hide signature --

Ciao!

Joe

 Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon Z7 +45 more
Jon Ragnarsson
Jon Ragnarsson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,282
Re: Interesting!

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:

Jorgen Bergfors wrote:

digital_ray_of_light wrote:

Lens experts please jump in!

Joseph, where are you?

Sick as a dog, been totally drained for about a week.

And I've got an interesting project going right now.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=5199923

Great project, I've been watching that thread with interest. And I have been reading my self silly about lens designs. Some things there are quite interesting.
Good luck with that project.
J.

 Jon Ragnarsson's gear list:Jon Ragnarsson's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,391
Re: Interesting!

Jón Ragnarsson wrote:

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:

And I've got an interesting project going right now.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=5199923

Great project, I've been watching that thread with interest. And I
have been reading my self silly about lens designs. Some things
there are quite interesting.
Good luck with that project.

Thanks. I need it.

Lots of interesting challanges.

-- hide signature --

Ciao!

Joe

 Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon Z7 +45 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads