GF TS 30mm – stellar image quality

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
marc aurel Regular Member • Posts: 269
GF TS 30mm – stellar image quality

Today I received my GF TS 30mm lens.

I expected stellar image quality. But I did not expect this level of quality. Tons of detail in every part of the image. Developed in Capture One, including correction of distortion and falloff.

These crops are from an image at f/5.6 with 15mm of vertical shift.

1. Crop close to the center at 100%:

2. Crop of shifted corner at 100%:

Full image at full resolution:

Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 3,598
Re: GF TS 30mm – stellar image quality

Wow. That is astonishingly good. I can feel your happiness and satisfaction!

I wonder if Fuji has a plan to own architectural and interior photography lock, stock and barrel. Because with lenses this good, they could.

Ken West Junior Member • Posts: 41

Hope some finally show up for sale in the US!

spilla Senior Member • Posts: 1,584

Yup, looks fantastic. Mine is still backordered

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,969

Fantastic Marc!  How did you get one?

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +10 more
OP marc aurel Regular Member • Posts: 269

Greg7579 wrote:

Fantastic Marc! How did you get one?

Guess I was just lucky. Ordered the day it was announced, but I am sure you did too

The first ones arrive here (germany). A friend of mine got his one even 1 week before me.

Rob de Loe wrote:

Wow. That is astonishingly good. I can feel your happiness and satisfaction!

I wonder if Fuji has a plan to own architectural and interior photography lock, stock and barrel. Because with lenses this good, they could.

Hi Rob,

I am pretty sure this is Fujis plan. This is a no compromise lens. I know around 50 architectural photographers in my country personally. The majority of them use Canon lenses, some on Canon cameras, some adapted to Sonys or Leica SL. A lot of them are on the fence and think about switching to GFX.

Hopefully Fuji will be fast at firmly announcing more shift lenses. One wider (TS 21mm would my favorite) and one a bit longer (TS 45mm my favorite). This would establish GFX as a high end system very close to Phase One / Rodenstock / technical camera systems. At a fraction of the costs.

And concerning image quality it leaves the TS-E 24mm on full frame cameras in the dust. For comparison:

• Same building, but with only 12mm of shift (the Canon lens can't do more).
  • The image with the Canon TS-E is taken from the same position, and also on the GFX 100 II. So it's the same sensor, but cropped to the same field view as the GF TS 30mm image. So roughly a 60 MP image like from a full frame sensor.
  • I did not scale the TS-E 24mm image up. Its already blurry if I don't.
  • Crop in the upper right corner:

In the middle of the upper edge:

Even in the center there is a massive difference in microcontrast:

Massinissa
Massinissa Regular Member • Posts: 217

Seems a real masterpiece.

Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 3,598

It's really night and day -- a remarkable performance at that much shift.

It's impossible to know what comes next with big corporations, but I do hope you are right and they view t/s lenses as a long-term commitment.

AZ Steve Regular Member • Posts: 486

marc aurel wrote:

Hopefully Fuji will be fast at firmly announcing more shift lenses. One wider (TS 21mm would my favorite) and one a bit longer (TS 45mm my favorite). This would establish GFX as a high end system very close to Phase One / Rodenstock / technical camera systems. At a fraction of the costs.

Absolutely.  And not just a fraction of the costs, but with much of the the overall usability and portability of the fine post-war 35mm film cameras.  A bit heavier and larger to be sure, but in most ways more like them than the larger of the film MF systems from Japan and Europe.

For all but the most fastidious of "cultural heritage" photography, the GFX 100 II is enough, given just two or three more lenses.  Commercial and art photography alike.

AZ Steve's gear list:AZ Steve's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a7R V Fujifilm GFX 100 II +2 more

Sorry to hear that the lens is so difficult to get. Probably it would be better for me to keep a low profile for a while

But on the other hand – Greg is far away. So the risk of him rushing into my flat and pulling the lens out of my hands is pretty low

So here are two more images from today (full res). Nothing special, just for evaluating sharpness and clarity at a different light than the first ones I posted.

Diagonal shift (14.1mm, 30° rotation):

11.6mm shift:

Godogo Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: GF TS 30mm – stellar image quality/ can a 105mm Pol be used at full shift?

Hi Marc,

Thanks for posting these, although like everyone else who has pre-ordered this lens, it is simultaneously a bit painful!

To distract myself I have been thinking about the proper polarizing filter for this great new lens.  Have you tried a 105mm at 15° shift?   I'm curious if there might be some vignetting.

Also, and maybe this should be in a separate post, but brand do you like?  Years ago I chose the B+W Kaesemann which I really love.  Unfortunately, its now discontinued (and they don't make 105 size anyway).   Incidentally,  I bought it when updating my Canon 24 TS to the Mark II which had a slightly larger shift range.  I ended up spending, I think, only $40 more to get a 95mm filter with 82mm back threads.  I was worried the extra shift might be an issue and there was no info I could find at the time.

Thanks in advance.  Keep posting images-  I'm a glutton for punishment! 

Best to All

paulraphael Contributing Member • Posts: 682

Thanks so much for posting these. Have you figured out which aperture gives the sharpest corners at 10–15mm shift?

Godogo wrote:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for posting these, although like everyone else who has pre-ordered this lens, it is simultaneously a bit painful!

To distract myself I have been thinking about the proper polarizing filter for this great new lens. Have you tried a 105mm at 15° shift? I'm curious if there might be some vignetting.

Also, and maybe this should be in a separate post, but brand do you like? Years ago I chose the B+W Kaesemann which I really love. Unfortunately, its now discontinued (and they don't make 105 size anyway). Incidentally, I bought it when updating my Canon 24 TS to the Mark II which had a slightly larger shift range. I ended up spending, I think, only $40 more to get a 95mm filter with 82mm back threads. I was worried the extra shift might be an issue and there was no info I could find at the time.

Thanks in advance. Keep posting images- I'm a glutton for punishment!

Best to All

Hi Godogo,

no, I have not tried out a 105mm (I have none). But I am pretty sure that there will not be any vignetting with this size of a filter. The filter thread is very close to the front lens (see attached photo). Front lens diameter is only about 50mm. If you thread the filter in it will only be a few mm from the front lens. At double the diameter I don't think that will vignette.

I have seen some 105mm filters who want to be very stable and are several mm thick. but even with these I think it will not be a problem. But I have not tried it myself.

A friend of mine said he even used a step down ring for using a 82mm polarizer on this lens. But I am not sure if he has tested it for maximum shift. If I hear more about this I will comment further.

Best, Marc

darinb Senior Member • Posts: 1,040

marc aurel wrote:

But on the other hand – Greg is far away. So the risk of him rushing into my flat and pulling the lens out of my hands is pretty low

Greg travels, worldwide, almost constantly. If someone knocks, look before you open that door.

—Darin

-- hide signature --

Darin Boville
My photo site: www.darinboville.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/darinboville/
A Bigger Camera (blog): www.abiggercamera.com

darinb's gear list:darinb's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
Joe Colson
Joe Colson Senior Member • Posts: 1,875

Marc, thanks for sharing these images. "Stellar image quality" is definitely an appropriate title. I wasn't paying any attention to this lens until I saw your posts. Now I may stick my toe into the water.

Joe

-- hide signature --
 Joe Colson's gear list:Joe Colson's gear list
Sony a7 IV Hasselblad X2D 100c Sony a7R V Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 Hasselblad XCD 135mm F2.8 +9 more

paulraphael wrote:

Thanks so much for posting these. Have you figured out which aperture gives the sharpest corners at 10–15mm shift?

This lens is best at f/8. Perfect from edge to edge, at every shift position.

At f/5.6 the corners at full shift are very slightly soft. Can be improved to excellent in Capture One (sharpness falloff correction).

At f/11 diffraction reduces microcontrast slightly. But still in the excellent range. I would not hesitate to use f/11 if I need the depth of field. But depth of field would be the only reason (in contrast to other lenses where you need f/11 to get sharp corners).

At f/16 you already loose too much of the image quality to diffraction.

Re: GF TS 30mm – other observations

Other observations aside from the optics:

• Mechanics are an upgrade versus other shift lenses. Smooth, fine geared. Shift control is maybe not quite up to the geared controls of a technical camera like an Arca swiss Rmd3 (would be interesting to compare side by side). But definitely much better than other shift lenses. Everything is larger of course, that helps.
  • Takes a minute to get used to the weight if you shift up (front rise). The GF 30mm TS is a lot heavier than other shift lenses. But the diameter of the knobs is large enough that this is still pretty convenient.
  • The shift is kind of "self locking", even when you don't tighten the small knob that are there for locking movements tight. That may change when the lens has got more use. We will have to see how the lens behaves after some heavy use. But I am pretty confident it can stand years and decades of intense use.
  • The lever to release rotation of the shift unit is in a different place than with the Canons. Better placed, always close to the shutter release button.

Tripod collar:

• I tried the tripod collar. Works fine. But mounting the camera works as well. The GF mount is so large and well designed that it can carry much more weight than Canon EF (or the mini E-mount of the Sonys). So you can choose which way you prefer it.
  • When you use the tripod collar you have to take extra care that the camera is level. That is because every camera mount has some play. In case of the GF mount the camera can rotate about half a degree around the lens in the collar. Probably a bubble level in the camera flash will help to ensure it is correctly levelled. This why I prefer the mounted to the tripod. It's easier to make sure the image is perfectly level.
Re: GF TS 30mm – other observations

Ah, and as already mentioned in another thread:

• If you shift horizontally to the right, there is not much space left between the shift unit and the camera body of a GFX 100 II. Not enough for large fingers. Yes, you can squeeze your index finger with this lens if you try hard
MichaelACG
MichaelACG Forum Member • Posts: 97

Godogo wrote:

Hi Marc,

Years ago I chose the B+W Kaesemann which I really love. Unfortunately, its now discontinued (and they don't make 105 size anyway)
.…

Lee filters has a 105mm polarizer.

I have it, and it‘s without flaws.

MichaelACG's gear list:MichaelACG's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 200mm F2 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads