Phototainer - first impressions

Started Apr 19, 2003 | Discussions
Geoff Turner Regular Member • Posts: 294
Phototainer - first impressions

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select, copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back with the results.

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Olympus C3030Z + E20

Don Sherman Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Can this unit download Canon RAW files?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

-- hide signature --

Don Sherman

alfred_schiele Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Hi

Can this unit download Canon RAW files?

An interesting question... I asked myself for NEF when looking at such devices. Possibly it can download anything, but I expect displaying such files to be very slow (if it does not use thumbs).

The only device I remeber supporting RAW or NEF is the Nixvue Vista, check it out for yourself.

After some thoughts I bought one of the very simple portable storage devices concentrating on the storage aspect only. I think for all other tasks with RAW any slow notebook is better... using the portable device as an external HD then.

Regards, A. Schiele

OP Geoff Turner Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

alfred_schiele wrote:
Hi

Can this unit download Canon RAW files?

An interesting question... I asked myself for NEF when looking at
such devices. Possibly it can download anything, but I expect
displaying such files to be very slow (if it does not use thumbs).

The only device I remeber supporting RAW or NEF is the Nixvue
Vista, check it out for yourself.

After some thoughts I bought one of the very simple portable
storage devices concentrating on the storage aspect only. I think
for all other tasks with RAW any slow notebook is better... using
the portable device as an external HD then.

Regards, A. Schiele

As I understand it, it can copy any type of file including RAW, but as yet cannot display them. Although I think I read somewhere that they are likely to update the software to do this. There is a useful Q&A forum on the Innoplus web site http://www.innoplus.com . It may be worth asking the question there.

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Olympus C3030Z + E20

alfred_schiele Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Hi!

As I understand it, it can copy any type of file including RAW, but
as yet cannot display them. Although I think I read somewhere that
they are likely to update the software to do this. There is a
useful Q&A forum on the Innoplus web site http://www.innoplus.com . It may
be worth asking the question there.

I doubt that any today's small portable device is able to convert and display any RAW format in acceptable time.

I even hate the 10 sec. it takes on my desktop, would like something REALLY QUICKER, i.e. less than 1 sec. at least...

My personal conclusion was to look at all these small portable devices as storage only. Maybe we will see much quicker devices in some years that make RAW practically usable on these small portable devices too.

But to be honest, I am not too optimistic here as I belive most digital images were stored as JPG and not as RAW and market is more focussed there. If markets are saturated, possibly we will see better portable devices too...

Regards, A. Schiele.

laupi Regular Member • Posts: 454
No Canon raw files......

it can copy the raw files to disc but you can not view them.

Unfortunately it also has some problems with CF cards (it can not read my 1GB CF card - but reads microdrive fine)

Copying a 1GB drive though takes around 20-30 minutes - afterwards the batteries are nearly empty..... so even though 30 or 30 gigs hd you will only make use of those if you carry the plug adapter...batteries are really too small and weak.

Also the build quality is really more for home use.....very fragile and cheap parts. I also have sometimes problems with the buttons responding.... they are very wobbly.....

alfred_schiele wrote:
Hi!

As I understand it, it can copy any type of file including RAW, but
as yet cannot display them. Although I think I read somewhere that
they are likely to update the software to do this. There is a
useful Q&A forum on the Innoplus web site http://www.innoplus.com . It may
be worth asking the question there.

I doubt that any today's small portable device is able to convert
and display any RAW format in acceptable time.

I even hate the 10 sec. it takes on my desktop, would like
something REALLY QUICKER, i.e. less than 1 sec. at least...

My personal conclusion was to look at all these small portable
devices as storage only. Maybe we will see much quicker devices in
some years that make RAW practically usable on these small portable
devices too.

But to be honest, I am not too optimistic here as I belive most
digital images were stored as JPG and not as RAW and market is more
focussed there. If markets are saturated, possibly we will see
better portable devices too...

Regards, A. Schiele.

Troy Delnicki Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

I doubt that any today's small portable device is able to convert
and display any RAW format in acceptable time.

Can you say Pocket PC? I have a Dell Axim, and PocketLoupe software installed on it. It can support RAW files and display them in about 3-4 seconds. (not bad for a 7 meg file from my camera) Thumbs load as fast as you can press the buttons. A RATCO host card allows me hook the PDA up to my digital wallet and handle any editing, copy, paste, delete, move, etc.

Best,

Troy

Daniella Forum Pro • Posts: 53,000
Re: Phototainer - first impressions

how much does it cost? and what is the battery otonomy in hours?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

-- hide signature --

Daniella
http://www.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=26918
http://www.pbase.com/zylen
C7OO FORUM: http://www.c700uz.com

c7OOuz, Dimage-7, Tcon14tele, C210tele, Cokin-173, Grad-ND, Hoya-red-Intensifier, Hoya R72.

OP Geoff Turner Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: Phototainer - first impressions

The UK cost is 399 pounds ($200 ?) but we tend to have to pay more for our 'gadgets' than you lucky people in the US.

Battery is a 2200mah lion which takes around 4 hours to charge up. Difficult to say how long it will power the unit as it really depends on how you use it. Using the LCD screen will consume more power.

Daniella wrote:
how much does it cost? and what is the battery otonomy in hours?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Olympus C3030Z + E20

alfred_schiele Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Hi

Can you say Pocket PC?

In comparison to the dedicated devices a Pocket PC plus all needed accessories is a really expensive alternative. I thought about this for a while myself but cancelled it. In addition I do not need a Pocket PC for any other tasks.

If you already own a latest generation Pocket PC the add ons cost might be worth a view, but not in my personal case. I decided to buy a JVC mini notebook which was not much more but I can use all the usual PC software without compromising.

I have a Dell Axim, and PocketLoupe software
installed on it. It can support RAW files and display them in about
3-4 seconds. (not bad for a 7 meg file from my camera) Thumbs load
as fast as you can press the buttons. A RATCO host card allows me
hook the PDA up to my digital wallet and handle any editing, copy,
paste, delete, move, etc.

Hmmm, so you use a Pocket PC + a portable storage device... The pocket PC only to view NEF's...? Can not imagine this number of gadgets are really comfortable to use in the field, with all the adapters and cables...

Possibly it would be better if camera manufacturers would support an USB port to master an external storage device...

Regards, A. Schiele

Daniella Forum Pro • Posts: 53,000
Re: Phototainer - first impressions

that is actualy less than here. I paid my Image Tank 199$us but it does not have a viewing screen or a TV output.

how much hard disk was it? 20GB or more?

Geoff Turner wrote:
The UK cost is 399 pounds ($200 ?) but we tend to have to pay more
for our 'gadgets' than you lucky people in the US.

Battery is a 2200mah lion which takes around 4 hours to charge up.
Difficult to say how long it will power the unit as it really
depends on how you use it. Using the LCD screen will consume more
power.

Daniella wrote:
how much does it cost? and what is the battery otonomy in hours?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

-- hide signature --

Daniella
http://www.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=26918
http://www.pbase.com/zylen
C7OO FORUM: http://www.c700uz.com

c7OOuz, Dimage-7, Tcon14tele, C210tele, Cokin-173, Grad-ND, Hoya-red-Intensifier, Hoya R72.

Troy Delnicki Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

alfred_schiele wrote:
Hi

Can you say Pocket PC?

In comparison to the dedicated devices a Pocket PC plus all needed
accessories is a really expensive alternative. I thought about this
for a while myself but cancelled it. In addition I do not need a
Pocket PC for any other tasks.

A used PDA can be had for $150.00--prices are dropping fast as people upgrade to the latest and greatest. Good equipment isn't cheap and the cheap stuff isn't worth having! I have 4K in camera and lenses, a few hundred for a good viewer seems reasonable. What's a Polaroid back cost?

If you already own a latest generation Pocket PC the add ons cost
might be worth a view, but not in my personal case. I decided to
buy a JVC mini notebook which was not much more but I can use all
the usual PC software without compromising.

I think this is a good choice too, better for some, worse for others. I doubt it could beat the PDA for viewing speed though--at least compard to the Mac.

I have a Dell Axim, and PocketLoupe software
installed on it. It can support RAW files and display them in about
3-4 seconds. (not bad for a 7 meg file from my camera) Thumbs load
as fast as you can press the buttons. A RATCO host card allows me
hook the PDA up to my digital wallet and handle any editing, copy,
paste, delete, move, etc.

Hmmm, so you use a Pocket PC + a portable storage device... The
pocket PC only to view NEF's...? Can not imagine this number of
gadgets are really comfortable to use in the field, with all the
adapters and cables...

I acutally don't use the full set-up in the fieid. It's much faster to insert the CF directly into the PDA. You can view a file within about 5 seconds this way. I do my editing at home or back at the hotel. There is only one cable btw. I find the PDA much faster than my desktop computer for viewing. Viewing RAW files on the Mac is awlful! I tried ACDSEE, but it ran at a snails pace. The Canon RAW viewer is pretty awlful too. I only shoot RAW.

Possibly it would be better if camera manufacturers would support
an USB port to master an external storage device...

It may happen--we just need drivers.

Best,

Troy

alfred_schiele Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Hi

What's a Polaroid back cost?

Too much for what it usually is (-;

To be honest it's lifetime is far longer than I expect to use a PDA for imaging purposes... All this MF stuff is oldfashioned longtime investment... I love MF but rarely use mine...

If you already own a latest generation Pocket PC the add ons cost
might be worth a view, but not in my personal case. I decided to
buy a JVC mini notebook which was not much more but I can use all
the usual PC software without compromising.

I think this is a good choice too, better for some, worse for
others. I doubt it could beat the PDA for viewing speed though--at
least compard to the Mac.

Didn't proove timing but think you are right when coming to full size NEF's. NC3 is often slower than that too, possibly even on an average PC...

Hmmm, so you use a Pocket PC + a portable storage device... The
pocket PC only to view NEF's...? Can not imagine this number of
gadgets are really comfortable to use in the field, with all the
adapters and cables...

I acutally don't use the full set-up in the fieid. It's much faster
to insert the CF directly into the PDA. You can view a file within
about 5 seconds this way. I do my editing at home or back at the
hotel. There is only one cable btw. I find the PDA much faster
than my desktop computer for viewing. Viewing RAW files on the Mac
is awlful! I tried ACDSEE, but it ran at a snails pace. The Canon
RAW viewer is pretty awlful too. I only shoot RAW.

Possibly pocket loupe is a genious application... also I am asking myself how much memory it needs on the PPC to expand a 6MP RAW to anything viewable like RGB data... possibly some intelligent partial framing conversion?

Can only repeat that the Nicon RAW converter is not instant in any way...

Possibly it would be better if camera manufacturers would support
an USB port to master an external storage device...

It may happen--we just need drivers.

Well, with D100 it is true in some way even today when you shoot using Nikon Capture... You even don't need any CF card, you can store directly to HD... of course there is the cable and the notebook again... (:

Regards, A. Schiele

Ian Chapman Regular Member • Posts: 477
question to alfred

Alfred I wish to know that if I buy a JVC mini computer in Germany will I be able to change setting on programs and on OS XP to run in English? - I am in uk and wish to buy via internet - any advice please?

the programs which come with this machine are they prelaoded and if so can the language be altered and from where did you buy the machine and how much and which one (i.e xp 7210) ?

Thanks

Ian

alfred_schiele wrote:
Hi

Can you say Pocket PC?

In comparison to the dedicated devices a Pocket PC plus all needed
accessories is a really expensive alternative. I thought about this
for a while myself but cancelled it. In addition I do not need a
Pocket PC for any other tasks.

If you already own a latest generation Pocket PC the add ons cost
might be worth a view, but not in my personal case. I decided to
buy a JVC mini notebook which was not much more but I can use all
the usual PC software without compromising.

I have a Dell Axim, and PocketLoupe software
installed on it. It can support RAW files and display them in about
3-4 seconds. (not bad for a 7 meg file from my camera) Thumbs load
as fast as you can press the buttons. A RATCO host card allows me
hook the PDA up to my digital wallet and handle any editing, copy,
paste, delete, move, etc.

Hmmm, so you use a Pocket PC + a portable storage device... The
pocket PC only to view NEF's...? Can not imagine this number of
gadgets are really comfortable to use in the field, with all the
adapters and cables...

Possibly it would be better if camera manufacturers would support
an USB port to master an external storage device...

Regards, A. Schiele

Troy Delnicki Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

What's a Polaroid back cost?

Too much for what it usually is (-;

LOL's--I think you're right. My point was in relative terms, a few hundred for a viewer isn't all that bad.

Didn't proove timing but think you are right when coming to full
size NEF's. NC3 is often slower than that too, possibly even on an
average PC...

May I ask just how much time it does take to view a NEF or other RAW file--say 6-7 meg size with your current set-up? Speed was one of the major factors in my buying decision of the PDA. I had the Nixvue vista, and it was a joke for viewing speed.

Possibly pocket loupe is a genious application... also I am asking
myself how much memory it needs on the PPC to expand a 6MP RAW to
anything viewable like RGB data... possibly some intelligent
partial framing conversion?

Don't know for sure. Jeff Blum, CEO of glasslantern software, in one heck of a programmer to say the least. PL can open a RAW file (1:1 ) in about 7-8 seconds--pretty amazing as it take my desktop computer 45 seconds to do the same thing. At 50% size, it's more like 3-4 seconds. When you're viewing gigs worth of data, it sure is a time saver. Full histogram is there, thumbs, EXIF data, and instant delete and rotate image is there too. Most folks have not seen Jeff's latest program (version 149B), but it has major improvements. Good software truly does make the difference.

Possibly it would be better if camera manufacturers would support
an USB port to master an external storage device...

It may happen--we just need drivers.

Well, with D100 it is true in some way even today when you shoot
using Nikon Capture... You even don't need any CF card, you can
store directly to HD... of course there is the cable and the
notebook again... (:

Yeap, Canon can do the same thing, but shooting with a laptop attached to my camera, well. . . no thanks. I already feel like a geek with all this stuff already.

Best,

Troy

alfred_schiele Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Re: Phototainer - Can it do Canon RAW?

Hi!

Didn't proove timing but think you are right when coming to full
size NEF's. NC3 is often slower than that too, possibly even on an
average PC...

May I ask just how much time it does take to view a NEF or other
RAW file--say 6-7 meg size with your current set-up?

A NEF of D100 is usually about 10MB.

You made me searching my stop-watch... It takes 4-5 sec. on my desktop to open it in NC3. To be honest, I subjectivly felt a longer time period... In batch conversion it takes about 10s per frame to read process and write a frame.

I didn't measure the same with my notebook but from other comparisons I made some time ago it might be about 50% of the desktop. It is not that bad... (:

Speed was one
of the major factors in my buying decision of the PDA. I had the
Nixvue vista, and it was a joke for viewing speed.

I believe you with the vista. It was one reason why I did not choose it. It was clear by the data I read about the vista (wasn't it 30sec to open a NEF...) that the view feature would not meet my imaginations either...

Possibly pocket loupe is a genious application...

Good software truly does make the difference.

Agreed. Possibly I should keep the PocketPC solution in mind...

Yeap, Canon can do the same thing, but shooting with a laptop
attached to my camera, well. . . no thanks. I already feel like a
geek with all this stuff already.

Well, maybe some here like the idea... won't do it on the road either (-;

Regards, A. Schiele

Douglas Westcott Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Phototainer - first impressions

399 pounds is about $658 US, not $200. I just got back from the UK and convserion rate was $1.65 per pound last week.

Doug W

Daniella wrote:
that is actualy less than here. I paid my Image Tank 199$us but it
does not have a viewing screen or a TV output.

how much hard disk was it? 20GB or more?

Geoff Turner wrote:
The UK cost is 399 pounds ($200 ?) but we tend to have to pay more
for our 'gadgets' than you lucky people in the US.

Battery is a 2200mah lion which takes around 4 hours to charge up.
Difficult to say how long it will power the unit as it really
depends on how you use it. Using the LCD screen will consume more
power.

Daniella wrote:
how much does it cost? and what is the battery otonomy in hours?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

deshawn Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: most important

how long does it take to transfer a gig microdrive?

i wish this unit could be used to view images taken from
my s2 in realtime.
i get tired of twisting my wrist to show someone the lcd screen

i wish sony triniton made a small tv the size of a pda, because the clarity with the s2 connected to it is awesome.

Douglas Westcott wrote:
399 pounds is about $658 US, not $200. I just got back from the UK
and convserion rate was $1.65 per pound last week.

Doug W

Daniella wrote:
that is actualy less than here. I paid my Image Tank 199$us but it
does not have a viewing screen or a TV output.

how much hard disk was it? 20GB or more?

Geoff Turner wrote:
The UK cost is 399 pounds ($200 ?) but we tend to have to pay more
for our 'gadgets' than you lucky people in the US.

Battery is a 2200mah lion which takes around 4 hours to charge up.
Difficult to say how long it will power the unit as it really
depends on how you use it. Using the LCD screen will consume more
power.

Daniella wrote:
how much does it cost? and what is the battery otonomy in hours?

Geoff Turner wrote:

After pondering for a while over which storage unit to buy, I
finally decided on the Innoplus Phototainer. The reaons I chose
this, were mainly because of its large 3.5inch screen, ease of
updating the software, and its direct connection to a TV.

The unit arrived a couple of days ago and my first impressions are
good. The Phototainer feels and looks well designed and built. The
flip up screen covers most of the controls when closed and the lion
rechargable battery is quite novel as it appears to form an
integral part of the case when fitted.

Having quickly tried out all the functions, everything seems very
easy to use, but I had one niggle in that sometimes some of the
buttons did not respond when I pressed them. Then I realised that
you need to press and release the buttons quickly - similar to a
mouse click.

The screen, although not particularly high resolution, is perfectly
adequete to view photos either individually or in slideshow mode.

I checked the Innoplus website and found that there was as software
update available. So I downloaded this and installed it. This was
very easy. The update added features like displaying text files on
the screen.

I particularly like the windows type explorer display which allows
you to view the file tree and perform various actions like select,
copy, move, delete your files.

The unit also operates as a MP3 player. Although I am unlikely to
make much use of this, I tried this out and this also works
flawlessly.

Overall first impressions are excellent. I have a two week holiday
coming up, and a chance to really try out the unit. I'll post back
with the results.

bb964 Regular Member • Posts: 176
Is Phototainer and Smartdisk the same product???

Smartdisk http://www.smartdisk.com/ looks just like Phototainer http://www.innoplus.com/html/eng_main.htm#

Are these the same????

Bill

OP Geoff Turner Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: Is Phototainer and Smartdisk the same product???

Bill 964 wrote:

Smartdisk http://www.smartdisk.com/ looks just like Phototainer
http://www.innoplus.com/html/eng_main.htm#

Are these the same????

Bill

-- hide signature --

They are the same product.

Geoff
Olympus C3030Z + E20

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads