Six Months With The R3

Started 9 months ago | User reviews
KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Six Months With The R3

Six month into owning the R3 and I'm very happy with the purchase and don't regret trading in one of my R5's for it. I shoot about 95% wildlife and this is the body I prefer to use most of the time now.

Last December I did a CPS evaluation loan of the R3 to see if it was worth spending the money for. While I had it I didn't have the best luck on finding wildlife to shoot but did find some and tried some high ISO test to compare with the R5 as well as autofocus tracking and speed. I noticed enough of a difference to go ahead and buy the R3 and sell one of my R5's.

I was using a pair of R5's with grips and absolutely hated the feel when shooting vertical and removing the grip the body is just too small for my hands. The R3 fits my hand perfectly and going vertical feels just as good as horizontal shooting. It's by far the best feeling body I've held and the build quality is what you would expect from Canon on a body in this price range.

The battery life is great, will last an entire day of shooting for me, I only do stills no video at all. The buffer has never been a problem but I do wish it had dual CFExpress cards. I'll shoot RAW to the CFExpress and JPG to the SD card. That is probably my biggest complaint about the R3.

The eye control autofocus I have only tried a couple of times and it was OK. I think if I used it more and calibrated it more it would be decent but I just haven't found a need for it. If animal eye AF doesn't grab on right away I just use the smart control to lock on and it seems to be a pretty quick way doing things.

I know a lot of people don't like it is 24mp but it hasn't been a problem for me at all. It's plenty to do a 20x30 inch metal print that is viewed at a normal distance.

I've done two trips with it now, the first to Northern Minnesota in February where it was 1F and windchill of -16F and the second in May to Texas in the Rio Grande Valley where it was 95F. In both cases the R3 and R5 performed well but the batteries in the R5 did drain much quicker in the cold compared to the R3 and neither had overheating issues in Texas. These two bodies are a great combo for wildlife shooting.

This is just a hobby for me but it's nice to be able to share with people some of the animals I've gotten to see. All of the following pictures are full frame shots from the R3 with just a little post processing in Lightroom.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon RF 600mm F4L Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS R3
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Apr 14, 2021
KiloHotelphoto's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
unrated
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS R3 Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PNad
PNad Contributing Member • Posts: 773
Re: Six Months With The R3

Had it for a year, did many weddings and events with it and coming from Nikon then Sony, it’s truly an amazing camera and 24mp is just about perfect for what this camera is aimed at. Paired with the 28-70F2? Ultimate wedding machine.

There are a few things that I dislike however, without being dealbreaker:

The FPS selection in electronic mode is stupid, 3, 15 ,30. What? Can we have like 5-8 or something? 3 is too slow, 15 already in the crazy speed range, there’s no in between.

White AF boxes, can sometimes be very hard to see in a hurry when you are in spot an that boxe is on something white

Not a fan of that on/off switch that force you to use both hands, every other camera manufacturers have that on/off around the shutter and it’s simply the best place for it

Like the R5/6, that top screen on the camera could at least show the remaining photos or at least more infos and even better, show them when the camera is off like Fuji.

spec68 Contributing Member • Posts: 665

PNad wrote:

Not a fan of that on/off switch that force you to use both hands, every other camera manufacturers have that on/off around the shutter and it’s simply the best place for it

I find this a huge annoyance too. Somewhere I read that Canon does this on its true professional models to prevent the user from accidentally throwing the switch if it was near the top of the body where the fingers fiddle. Makes sense, though as a fumbling hobbyist I've never accidentally turned off my camera when the switch is on the top, and as you note, other brand's flagship bodies have the switch on the top.

OP KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 889

The power switch has never been a problem for me since I’m always using lenses that I need two hands to use anyway. I just turn it on and leave it on until I’m done for the day.

The top lcd screen is something I’ve never used. I know some people love them but I prefer the view finder or the rear screen over the top.

Canon RF 600mm F4L Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +3 more
PNad

KiloHotelphoto wrote:

The top lcd screen is something I’ve never used. I know some people love them but I prefer the view finder or the rear screen over the top.

it’s super handy especially when the camera is off and you can see straight away the battery life and stuff real quick without even turning the camera on and taking a look at the EVF.

I don’t know about Nikon, but that’s how it is on my GFX and I like that alot.

EricBand Junior Member • Posts: 35

You can change the FPS on the R3 in electronic mode. Look around for the setting. I have it set for 8. It's on tab 3 of the Custom Functions menu. You can search the manual for 'Limit Continuous".  I also add that menu to My Menu...

-- hide signature --

Eric B
New York Dance Photographer

PNad

EricBand wrote:

You can change the FPS on the R3 in electronic mode. Look around for the setting. I have it set for 8. It's on tab 3 of the Custom Functions menu. You can search the manual for 'Limit Continuous". I also add that menu to My Menu...

Uh? Limit continuous don’t limit the fps, but the number of shots it will take before stopping. If you set it to 8, you don’t have 8fps at all.

Theres no way to change the default 3/15/30 fps speed

Veggiedean DTP Regular Member • Posts: 164

It is great camera.  I had mine since December.   I have gotten used to the ON/Off switch.  It is OK.  For me, the biggest issues are:

1. Hotshoe Cover - Lost three already

2. Eye cup - Lost one and now use gaffers tape to keep it in place

3.  Only 3 Custom modes

4.  Q menu, Custom buttons and Viewfinder Info - This is the first Canon I have owned. I am still learning to deal with the menu system.   I don't understand why some features are blocked our form Q menu and/or Custom buttons.  No waveform and lack of info when shooting video.  I also shoot Panasonic and R3 is so limited in customization in comparison.

These are really just quibbles, but they seem so easy to fix. Overall, it is a fantastic camera.

-- hide signature --

Dean
dtp-realestate.com
deantylerphotography.com

Veggiedean DTP's gear list:Veggiedean DTP's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +8 more
PNad

You can use the M mode as a 4th custom mode

dmanthree
dmanthree Forum Pro • Posts: 11,033

PNad wrote:

You can save a set of settings to M mode?

-- hide signature --

---on the cutting edge---

PNad

dmanthree wrote:

PNad wrote:

Why couldn’t you? Everything that you set into M mode will be registered into M mode, only thing you can’t change is its manual exposure

Just like AV mode can only be AV, but everything else set in there will be registered as well, so it can also act as another custom mode.

Even buttons/rings configuration

MarkDavo
MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 2,470

Dear KiloHotel,

Thanks for your informative comments.

For those of us outside the US could you please name the animals, and reptiles.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Wouldn't be dead for quids

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +2 more
Veggiedean DTP Regular Member • Posts: 164

Yes, this is a good point.   I have the multifunction button saved to Custom to scroll through the custom modes.   If you turn the camera on in AV or M you scroll through C1, C2, C3 and AV or M.   If you flip to video and back to camera, you can scroll just C1, C2 and C3.   That is handy, generally us just three custom modes for commercial work, but can add a 4th if needed.   Also, I could register different camera setting, save to card and load settings depending on the situation.   Overall, not a big deal.   I really like being able to scroll through the custom modes with the multifunction button.  The only issue is that when I shoot in M, I feel like I am missing a button for ISO.   I could use the control ring, but like having AF selection on the ring.  I will probably end up with a loading camera settings for Nature/Wildlife and a separate one for Commercial and save to card.

One point.  I find the eye control focus is amazing for wildlife and sports.   I wonder if a lot of people don't set it up right and dedicate a button to start AF with eye control after many calibrations.

best,

-- hide signature --

Dean
dtp-realestate.com
deantylerphotography.com

Veggiedean DTP's gear list:Veggiedean DTP's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +8 more
dmanthree

PNad wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

PNad wrote:

Why couldn’t you? Everything that you set into M mode will be registered into M mode, only thing you can’t change is its manual exposure

Just like AV mode can only be AV, but everything else set in there will be registered as well, so it can also act as another custom mode.

OK, but that's not the same thing as one of the C modes. Example: if you set the AF to a certain thing it will stay at that setting after you exit M mode, right? In C mode all those settings are saved and invoked only when you use that specific C mode.

-- hide signature --

OP KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 889

MarkDavo wrote:

Dear KiloHotel,

Thanks for your informative comments.

For those of us outside the US could you please name the animals, and reptiles.

Gray Fox, Gray wolf, male Wood Duck, female Mallard in flight, a pair of Crested Caracara, Audubon Oriole, Pyrrhuloxia, American Alligator and Grooved Billed Ani.

PNad

dmanthree wrote:

PNad wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

PNad wrote:

OK, but that's not the same thing as one of the C modes. Example: if you set the AF to a certain thing it will stay at that setting after you exit M mode, right? In C mode all those settings are saved and invoked only when you use that specific C mode.

Nope, M mode will keeps its own AF setting independently, and when you switch to C1/2/3 or even AV, it will invoke whatever it was saved into that mode.

And then back to M mode, whatever was last used there will be invoked back

dmanthree

PNad wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

PNad wrote:

Nope, M mode will keeps its own AF setting independently, and when you switch to C1/2/3 or even AV, it will invoke whatever it was saved into that mode.

And then back to M mode, whatever was last used there will be invoked back

Nope. Just tried it. Set the AF to Servo/Center point, and it stayed when I switched to AV mode. Changed, while in AV mode to Single/Expanded point, and it stayed there when I switched back to M.

Manual is not the same as a Custom mode. It does not "memorize" settings except for SS and Aperture.

-- hide signature --

davew44
davew44 Forum Member • Posts: 83

PNad wrote:

Had it for a year, did many weddings and events with it and coming from Nikon then Sony, it’s truly an amazing camera and 24mp is just about perfect for what this camera is aimed at. Paired with the 28-70F2? Ultimate wedding machine.

There are a few things that I dislike however, without being dealbreaker:

The FPS selection in electronic mode is stupid, 3, 15 ,30. What? Can we have like 5-8 or something? 3 is too slow, 15 already in the crazy speed range, there’s no in between.

White AF boxes, can sometimes be very hard to see in a hurry when you are in spot an that boxe is on something white

Like the R5/6, that top screen on the camera could at least show the remaining photos or at least more infos and even better, show them when the camera is off like Fuji.

I use my right thumb and flip the R3 on and off with 1 finger, I guess I am just used to switching the focus modes on my still in use d700, except Nikon has the switch reverted but that is how these 2 companies do things.   Backwards buttons, lens mounts, and way we rotate the lens to focus 

davew44's gear list:davew44's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony a6000 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +2 more
Rodrigo Pasiani
Rodrigo Pasiani Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

Just a hobby... Are you kidding me? Fabulous shots!

Great talent, and I suppose you put a lot of effort too.

Thanks for the review and for the terrific images. In what forum do you usually post your wildlife photos?

-- hide signature --

Gear list: eyes, brain, hands and a couple of cameras.
Instagram: @rodrigo_pasiani
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rodrigo_pc/albums/72157697391983321

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads