Same counter for stills and movies with Sony A74

Started Dec 6, 2022 | Questions
Saso71 New Member • Posts: 1
Same counter for stills and movies with Sony A74

My Sony A74 have different counter for movies and stills. So the movie counter is now at 83 and the picture counter is at 211 but I want it is one after another.

So when I have image DSC211.jpg and then I record mp4 file, it should be DSC212.mp4

Before Sony, I had Fuji and Lumix and both have the same counter for stills and movies. How's that going at Sony?

Saso71's gear list:Saso71's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 IV GoPro Hero9 Black Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Models By Day Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Re: Same counter for stills and movies with Sony A74

I actually want movies to have a different order.

On Nikon the number just keeps going up for any image or movie.

Maybe there is a setting for it

Models By Day's gear list:Models By Day's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 +5 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 7,473
Re: Same counter for stills and movies with Sony A74

Saso71 wrote:

My Sony A74 have different counter for movies and stills. So the movie counter is now at 83 and the picture counter is at 211 but I want it is one after another.

So when I have image DSC211.jpg and then I record mp4 file, it should be DSC212.mp4

Before Sony, I had Fuji and Lumix and both have the same counter for stills and movies. How's that going at Sony?

I don't think you can do what you want. If it is at all possible, you might find something under the topics "Memory Card Settings" and "File Settings" in the A7 IV Help Guide.

Sony follows two different specifications for storing still images and videos.

Still image files are stored using DCF (Design rule for Camera File system). This is why all cameras have a "DCIM" folder. It's a simple system that just about all the camera companies use for still images.

Sony video files are stored using some complex folder & file structure that reminds me of DVDs and Blu-ray discs (eg, the BDMV folder). Sony has deep roots in optical video disc standards (CD-V, DVD, Blu-ray) so I always assumed they just borrowed some coding from another Sony division and used it in their still cameras. This also demonstrates their commitment to the standards they helped create.

Sony Electronics doesn't seem to be very forthcoming about how its video file storage system works. If anybody knows - please post a link or an explanation.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads