A9 mark 1 as a backup?

Started Nov 28, 2022 | Discussions
Pennskull Regular Member • Posts: 245
A9 mark 1 as a backup?

I use the A9II as my main camera, would an A9 1 make sense as a backup? Even though it has worse DR, different ergonomics and worse mechanical shutter it can be found for pretty cheap now! And afaik the af should be pretty similar in stickiness.

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,307
Re: A9 mark 1 as a backup?

Pennskull wrote:

I use the A9II as my main camera, would an A9 1 make sense as a backup? Even though it has worse DR, different ergonomics and worse mechanical shutter it can be found for pretty cheap now! And afaik the af should be pretty similar in stickiness.

Worse DR? Really?

Put two identical shots side by side and see it you can tell which camera each came from.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R V Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +15 more
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 5,544

Pennskull wrote:

It would be possible, but I really don’t like the location of the lock button for the left dial on the A9 - I;ve seen two A9 bodies where it had been damaged, too.

If you are not in a big hurry, I’d wait and save a bit more, planning to get an A9III next year and use the A9II as backup to that…

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony a9 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +8 more
OP Pennskull Regular Member • Posts: 245

I think I am  going to take your advice and try to hold out and wait!

f1point4andbethere
f1point4andbethere Contributing Member • Posts: 933

As a backup? Yeah it's more than fine. As a second body, that's up to you. It is 90% the same as the A9II, so I would think it's still a great match.

I use an A7C as backup for my A1. I've had to use it none times, but chosen to use it plenty.

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a1 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +3 more
jbuzzinco Regular Member • Posts: 477

Pennskull wrote:

Depends on what your priority is.  For purely backup purposes an original a9 is an incredibly good deal these days.  They're selling for 1/3 of what they were new.  The a9M2 bumped up IQ a tiny bit in some ways but would you really notice the difference?  Depends on what ISO's you typically shoot and how much exposure pushing you do in post.

If you want cheap insurance to CYA during an event, an a9 is the best option.  Your only other choices are another a9M2 or an a1 to get the same speed and AF reliability.   If you are in a situation where you need the a9M2 performance and it goes down, I would think having similar speed would be more critical than having incrementally different DR.

If DR and overall IQ is the critical factor, sounds like you just need another body rather than something as a backup.  Try an a7R III or IV.  Those are also bargains at today's prices and the absolute IQ is much higher than either a9 variant.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads