Infrared pictures taken with NX Mini

Started 1 month ago | Photos
Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,295
Infrared pictures taken with NX Mini

A few pictures taken with my full-spectrum converted NX Mini with an 850nm infrared filter:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Samsung NX mini
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ge0rg Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Infrared pictures taken with NX Mini

Great shots! I like the sepia tone very much. What kind of processing are you doing?

Here are two IR shots that I made with a converted NX500 and a rotating 530nm-750nm filter in the 530nm position.

River and trees in sunlight, IR 530nm

House at the river, IR 530nm

Postprocessed in Darktable, monochrome, significantly boosted contrast.

ge0rg's gear list:ge0rg's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500
Abbazz
OP Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

ge0rg wrote:

Great shots! I like the sepia tone very much. What kind of processing are you doing?

Thank you for the kind words!

I shoot in raw and open the files in Adobe Camera Raw. Usually, I use a linear profile in ACR for black and white infrared in order to get a "flat file" which is easier to work with. Then I process the images with the SilverEfex plugin in Photoshop.

Here are two IR shots that I made with a converted NX500 and a rotating 530nm-750nm filter in the 530nm position.

River and trees in sunlight, IR 530nm

House at the river, IR 530nm

Postprocessed in Darktable, monochrome, significantly boosted contrast.

Great pictures! 530nm rendering is quite different, with only a slight IR effect in black and white. Have you tried to shoot in color with this filter?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abbazz wrote:

Great pictures! 530nm rendering is quite different, with only a slight IR effect in black and white. Have you tried to shoot in color with this filter?

Yes, I'm actually shooting most pictures in color. The filter was a really cheap one at 23€, so I didn't expect perfect results, just wanted to experiment a little bit.

Here's a very slightly edited version of the second picture, and one with R/B swapped:

IR 530nm, minimal development from Darktable, close to OOC colors

IR 530nm, Red/Blue swapped, increased contrast.

Those are also interesting, but I deemed the monochrome variant as the most impressive.

Abbazz

If you don't mind, here are two interpretations of your lovely picture. They are intentionally over the top. If you feel not happy with me tinkering with your work, just tell me and I will take them down.

B&W IR

Cotton candy Ektachrome

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abbazz wrote:

If you don't mind, here are two interpretations of your lovely picture. They are intentionally over the top. If you feel not happy with me tinkering with your work, just tell me and I will take them down.

That's perfectly fine! I especially like the first one, the grain makes it look like it's a century old!

Congratulations, you made me "break" another camera. I've converted a spare NX mini to infrared and got a few filters for it too, now.

NX mini photo sensor disassembled

NX mini IR-blocker filter filmed with NX mini without IR-blocker filter

NX mini IR720 shot of old town with bridge and castle

NX mini IR720 shot of tree, with the sun hiding behind it

NX mini IR720 shot of  castle on a high rock

(Darktable, converted to monochrome, split-toning module for sepia)

Abbazz

ge0rg wrote:

Congratulations, you made me "break" another camera. I've converted a spare NX mini to infrared and got a few filters for it too, now.

NX mini photo sensor disassembled

NX mini IR-blocker filter filmed with NX mini without IR-blocker filter

Congratulations on the conversion. These NX Mini are quite cheap now (at least here in Asia), so they are the perfect material for experimenting!

You seem to have opened the camera casing and dismantled the whole sensor assembly in order to remove the UV-IR cut filter. I followed the procedure highlighted here (bottom of page): http://mecastronics.free.fr/SamsungNXminiTopIR.html

In fact, it is even possible to remove the UV-IR cut filter without completely detaching the plastic sensor cover from its ribbon cable and risk losing its delicate gold contacts. It is enough to just flip it out of the way to be able to pry open the underneath filter holder and pull out the UV-IR cut filter with a pair of flat tweezers, like illustrated by these pictures.

Here's a recap of the whole pocedure:

1. Follow the steps 1 to 9 from the disassembly procedure on the iFixIt website (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+NX+Mini+Disassembly/55038) in order to open the camera front casing.

2. Flip open the plastic sensor cover but without removing the screw attaching the sensor cover to the ribbon cable. Your camera should look like this:

Image Credit : IFixIt https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+NX+Mini+Disassembly/55038

3. Using a small flat screwdriver blade, pry open the UV-IR cut filter holder from the top right edge without applying too much force (you don't want to destroy the plastic filter holder):

Picture Credit : Dima Lootvoet http://mecastronics.free.fr/SamsungNXminiTopIR.html

4. Delicately pull the UV-IR filter out of its holder with a pair of flat bladed tweezers and save it in a safe place in case you want to put it back later.

5. Reassemble the camera by reversing the previous steps.

Now I wonder whether it would be possible to remove the filter without removing the front casing, by just accessing the filter holder from the lens mount opening.

NX mini IR720 shot of old town with bridge and castle

NX mini IR720 shot of tree, with the sun hiding behind it

NX mini IR720 shot of castle on a high rock

(Darktable, converted to monochrome, split-toning module for sepia)

Congrats on the beautiful pictures, I love them!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abbazz wrote:

You seem to have opened the camera casing and dismantled the whole sensor assembly in order to remove the UV-IR cut filter. I followed the procedure highlighted here (bottom of page): http://mecastronics.free.fr/SamsungNXminiTopIR.html

Bummer, I totally missed the instructions at the bottom of that page!

In fact, it is even possible to remove the UV-IR cut filter without completely detaching the plastic sensor cover from its ribbon cable and risk losing its delicate gold contacts. It is enough to just flip it out of the way to be able to pry open the underneath filter holder and pull out the UV-IR cut filter with a pair of flat tweezers, like illustrated by these pictures.

The larger problem I see is that by loosening the torx screws holding the sensor to the metal frame, you also lose the sensor calibration!

Now I wonder whether it would be possible to remove the filter without removing the front casing, by just accessing the filter holder from the lens mount opening.

No, you need to open the roundish plastic enclosure (the one with the lens contact pins) to the top before you can access the smaller plastic filter holder. And the enclosure is blocked by the front casing.

Congrats on the beautiful pictures, I love them!

Thanks very much!

A few pictures taken with my full-spectrum converted NX Mini with an 850nm infrared filter:

Are you also using filters with shorter wave-length? I've made a bunch of shots at 680nm now, and on sunny days there is a noticeable flare in the images, which looks like it's from the lens and the black metal ring around it (the one with the "9-27" and "1:3.5-5.6" imprint).

Here's an OOC and edited image where I've significantly increased the red contrast to show the effect, which is also noticeable on the "normal" pipeline of swapping R/B and increasing vibrance:

680nm infrared OOC

680nm infrared red/blue swapped with increased red contrast

Abbazz

ge0rg wrote:

Are you also using filters with shorter wave-length? I've made a bunch of shots at 680nm now, and on sunny days there is a noticeable flare in the images, which looks like it's from the lens and the black metal ring around it (the one with the "9-27" and "1:3.5-5.6" imprint).

Here's an OOC and edited image where I've significantly increased the red contrast to show the effect, which is also noticeable on the "normal" pipeline of swapping R/B and increasing vibrance:

680nm infrared OOC

680nm infrared red/blue swapped with increased red contrast

I use a 720nm filter as well and also like to shoot with various colored filters in order to try to emulate the colors from Kodak Ektachrome IR film.

I prefer using the 9mm and 17mm primes lenses rather than the zoom for infrared or full-spectrum shooting to avoid the kind of "hotspots" visible in your pictures.

C

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads