What's this on my display?

Started Oct 29, 2022 | Questions
Shashinka73 Forum Member • Posts: 82
What's this on my display?

Just curious. I just acquired a used DP3 Merrill in very good condition (I've used them in the past and it could be my favourite camera ever, just because of its "we make you slog through terrible battery life, slow autofocus, and nonexistent high ISO performance, but in return we give you low-ISO IQ that will ruin basically every other camera for you" attitude).

I've just been messing around with it, and there's something on the display I haven't seen before. It's at the bottom left of the display and it's like two squares, one normal and one dotted, superimposed on each other so that they overlap a bit, with "-0.2" displayed. I have no idea what this is. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the operation of the camera, but if anyone knows what it is, I'd love to know. Thank you all kindly, keep the Foveon faith!

ANSWER:
Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,506
Re: What's this on my display?

That simply indicates that Sharpness is set to -0.2. This applies to the JPEGs as well as sets the starting point in SPP when developing RAW files (the X3F mode).

My Merrill and Quattro cameras where all set to -1.0 since the default sharpening is very high and introduces halo artofacts in the JPEG files. Older Sigma models were more reasonable in this regard.

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Shashinka73 Forum Member • Posts: 82

Johan Borg wrote:

That simply indicates that Sharpness is set to -0.2. This applies to the JPEGs as well as sets the starting point in SPP when developing RAW files (the X3F mode).

My Merrill and Quattro cameras where all set to -1.0 since the default sharpening is very high and introduces halo artofacts in the JPEG files. Older Sigma models were more reasonable in this regard.

Thank you!

Stillton Regular Member • Posts: 407

Johan Borg wrote:

My Merrill and Quattro cameras where all set to -1.0 since the default sharpening is very high and introduces halo artofacts in the JPEG files

Is it something only visible when jpg out of camera is used? I am not seeing sharpness artifacts when saving jpg out of spp.

Stillton's gear list:Stillton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D5000
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 24,791

Stillton wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

My Merrill and Quattro cameras where all set to -1.0 since the default sharpening is very high and introduces halo artofacts in the JPEG files

Is it something only visible when JPEG out of camera is used?

No.

I am not seeing sharpness artifacts when saving a JPEG out of SPP.

I agree that review images are over-sharpened by SPP with Merrills. All my Merrills showed an overshoot in QuickMTF edge response at 0.0 sharpening. Testing raw, JPEG, TIFF showed almost no over-shoot at about -1.0.

Also, in Merrill low-res, 0.0 was quite acceptable for shrubbery and rolling hills to my eye.

-- hide signature --

what you got is not what you saw ...

xpatUSA wrote:

Stillton wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

No.

I agree that review images are over-sharpened by SPP with Merrills. All my Merrills showed an overshoot in QuickMTF edge response at 0.0 sharpening. Testing raw, JPEG, TIFF showed almost no over-shoot at about -1.0.

Also, in Merrill low-res, 0.0 was quite acceptable for shrubbery and rolling hills to my eye.

was it tested with de-noising for chroma, luma and banding set on "normal" or medium (3) for all MTF tests?

What happens to MTf response when those values are changed? Just curious about what those sliders do to the MTF.

Also, which tool do you use to calculate MTF?

Stillton wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Stillton wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

No.

was it tested with de-noising for chroma, luma and banding set on "normal" or medium (3) for all MTF tests?

Testing was on SPP 5.5.3 - default settings except sharpness - there is no "banding" control in 5.5.3.

What happens to MTf response when those values are changed? Just curious about what those sliders do to the MTF.

I have no idea but, in general, de-noising anything usually applies some form of smoothing which would reduce the edge response.

-- hide signature --

Which tool do you use to get MTF?

Stillton wrote:

Which tool do you use to get MTF?

QuickMTF Light:

http://www.quickmtf.com/

-- hide signature --

Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,506

Stillton wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

Is it something only visible when jpg out of camera is used? I am not seeing sharpness artifacts when saving jpg out of spp.

It's worse in OOC JPEGs.

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads