Tracking issues with a6400

Started Oct 6, 2022 | Discussions
Sheppy New Member • Posts: 5
Tracking issues with a6400

Hi

I was taking some pictures of my son today using my a6400 with the Sigma 56mm attached.  I was using AF-C with tracking medium set and then all of a sudden the camera started locking on to some trees in the distance in the top left corner of the frame. I tried to reset the focus by releasing the shutter button and reapplying but it remained locked on the same position.  I pressed the middle button on the back of the camera to reset it but the same happened.   It has done it once before several weeks ago but I didn't think much of it.

Anyone else had similar problems? Could there be some settings interfering with each other?

Canon PowerShot A640
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin_99 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,664
Re: Tracking issues with a6400

Did you try unmount the lens, clean the contacts, remove battery, etc?

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 OM-1 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS +2 more
OP Sheppy New Member • Posts: 5

I did that when I got home. Everything looked spotless though. Will see how it goes from now.

Someone else on a different forum said the sonys do sometimes do that and latch on to the background.  He said he had it on 3 different sony bodies.

Martin_99 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,664

Sheppy wrote:

I did that when I got home. Everything looked spotless though. Will see how it goes from now.

Someone else on a different forum said the sonys do sometimes do that and latch on to the background. He said he had it on 3 different sony bodies.

What focus area do you use? Wide? Did you try different ones if it do the same? Do you have switched on touch focus?

I have second Sony apsc camera, so far not experienced such behaviour. Not count occasional misfocuses, which can happen.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 OM-1 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS +2 more
OP Sheppy New Member • Posts: 5

I had tracking set to medium.  So the tree it was focusing on wasn't even in the focus area.  I could have moved across the tree once it had locked on to my sons face perhaps and then it latched on to the tree.  My son kept looking away you see but when he looked back back it locked on yo his eye immediately and flicked between the two.  His eye and the tree.

I've turned touch tracking off now as I don't use it and I've made that error defore but this time it wasn't that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads