Mini review of the MC-21

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,382
Mini review of the MC-21
4

I recently bought a MC-21 at a good price (Sigma had them on sale for $119) and then borrowed a Panasonic S5 to try it out on.

I tested five lenses: 17-50 EX f2.8 OS, 24-35 f2 A, 50 F1.4A, 70 f2.8 A and the original 105 EX f2.8 macro.

I could access the aperture on all lenses but AF would not work on the older EX lenses. AF does work on the A lenses but it is very slow and so isn't useful for anything moving.

In MF mode the automatic 10x mag mode (turn the focus ring and the image automatically enlarges 10x to help with focusing accuracy) worked on the A lenses but not on the EX lenses making them difficult to focus accurately, so if you're wanting to adapt any EX lenses to the L mount they may not work very well.

Other observations:

On testing the high resolution mode on the S5, there's no actual increase in resolution. All the program does is to artificially make the file larger via some uprezzing formula to present the illusion of increased resolution. It does though eliminate moire patterns, so that's something.

I was curious how well the S5 with the A lenses handled night shots so I tested the 24-35 f2 and the 50 f1.4 at ISO 3200. Both had to be stopped down to f2.8 in order to minimize coma, but the noise level on the S5 at ISO 3200 was actually quite good.

24-35 at 24mm f2.8 10 seconds ISO 3200 on S5

24-35 at 35mm f2.8 10 sec ISO 3200

50mm f1.4 A at f2.8

 mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 17,799
Re: Mini review of the MC-21

Thanks for the information Mike. Do you have any idea if the fp L manual focus magnification mode works when using an old lens on the MC21?

It's just CRAZY that Panasonic would do that, crippling the camera, so people couldn't effectively focus/use their old telephoto lenses in manual focus mode. What if someone has a big old lens, like that 300-800mm Sigmonster, or a 50-500mm Bigma? What if someone wants to use that camera on a telescope?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +27 more
OP mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,382
Re: Mini review of the MC-21
1

Scottelly wrote:

Thanks for the information Mike. Do you have any idea if the fp L manual focus magnification mode works when using an old lens on the MC21?

It's just CRAZY that Panasonic would do that, crippling the camera, so people couldn't effectively focus/use their old telephoto lenses in manual focus mode. What if someone has a big old lens, like that 300-800mm Sigmonster, or a 50-500mm Bigma? What if someone wants to use that camera on a telescope?

Don't have access to a fp-L so I don't know. Also don't know if the lack of magnification of EX lenses lies with Panasonic or Sigma, but I have yet to find any manual mag function on the S5 like there is on some other cameras.

What I'm disappointed with is the slow AF speed using the MC-21 whereas the MC-11 on the Sony has excellent AF speed.

 mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +2 more
OP mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,382
Re: Mini review of the MC-21
1

Forgot to mention that I did put the S5 with the MC-21 on a telescope (a friends). He happened to have a camera adaptor with a Pentax mount so the MC-21 SA was a perfect fit.

Update:

I did discover that there is a MF mag setting for the EX lenses and telescope on the S5. It's a several step process and so a bit clumsy but it does work. It doesn't use the lens focus ring but instead a button on the camera body. It's an option you have to select in the menu.

 mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +2 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 17,799
Re: Mini review of the MC-21

mike earussi wrote:

Forgot to mention that I did put the S5 with the MC-21 on a telescope (a friends). He happened to have a camera adaptor with a Pentax mount so the MC-21 SA was a perfect fit.

Update:

I did discover that there is a MF mag setting for the EX lenses and telescope on the S5. It's a several step process and so a bit clumsy but it does work. It doesn't use the lens focus ring but instead a button on the camera body. It's an option you have to select in the menu.

Thanks for the update Mike. I guess it's probably similar to some other cameras, with a button to engage the magnification function. I believe that's how I have my SD Quattro H set up, if I remember correctly. It's been broken for quite some time now, so I can't remember for sure.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +27 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 32,758
Re: Mini review of the MC-21

mike earussi wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Thanks for the information Mike. Do you have any idea if the fp L manual focus magnification mode works when using an old lens on the MC21?

It's just CRAZY that Panasonic would do that, crippling the camera, so people couldn't effectively focus/use their old telephoto lenses in manual focus mode. What if someone has a big old lens, like that 300-800mm Sigmonster, or a 50-500mm Bigma? What if someone wants to use that camera on a telescope?

Don't have access to a fp-L so I don't know. Also don't know if the lack of magnification of EX lenses lies with Panasonic or Sigma, but I have yet to find any manual mag function on the S5 like there is on some other cameras.

What I'm disappointed with is the slow AF speed using the MC-21 whereas the MC-11 on the Sony has excellent AF speed.

I find that the 50mm f/1.4 Art focusses quickly with MC21 on the fp, while my older 105mm macro just hunts.

Don

 D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Ceistinne
Ceistinne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186
Re: Mini review of the MC-21
1

D Cox wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Thanks for the information Mike. Do you have any idea if the fp L manual focus magnification mode works when using an old lens on the MC21?

It's just CRAZY that Panasonic would do that, crippling the camera, so people couldn't effectively focus/use their old telephoto lenses in manual focus mode. What if someone has a big old lens, like that 300-800mm Sigmonster, or a 50-500mm Bigma? What if someone wants to use that camera on a telescope?

Don't have access to a fp-L so I don't know. Also don't know if the lack of magnification of EX lenses lies with Panasonic or Sigma, but I have yet to find any manual mag function on the S5 like there is on some other cameras.

What I'm disappointed with is the slow AF speed using the MC-21 whereas the MC-11 on the Sony has excellent AF speed.

I find that the 50mm f/1.4 Art focusses quickly with MC21 on the fp, while my older 105mm macro just hunts.

Don

Don,

I use that older 105mm macro in MF only on the sd Qs but it AFs fine on the SD1M or SD15. The later 105mm OS macro AFs on the sd Qs and the SDs. It also AFs on the Sony cameras with the MC-11, so I am sure it would also AF on the fp with the MC-21.  Both the older and later 105mm macros are excellent optically whichever focus mode is used.

S

 Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads